Center Pointe

cityboi

Center Pointe is 50% complete with the exterior almost completely done. Roy Carroll gives his report. developer Roy Carroll will live in the penthouse unit which will have a two story waterfall. The penthouse will have striking views of the city and you can even see the mountains to the west

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/71102037

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update. Its really an attractive addition to Greensboro's Skyline and it sure beats what it use to look like. Its really going to look nice once they finish that top portion. I wonder if there was talk of doing the same thing to the Wachovia Tower (Winston Tower) in Winston-Salem. Winston kinda did like Greensboro. Both buildings use to be a dark grey/blue color and they both were painted a light tan. If Winston has trouble filling the building with office workers, it would make a great condo building, especially rising 30-stories with a great view of the mountains. Youd also be able to see Greensboro's skyline 28 miles away. A couple people from Winston told me they wish something similar could happen to that tower.

Thanks for the update. Its really an attractive addition to Greensboro's Skyline and it sure beats what it use to look like. Its really going to look nice once they finish that top portion. I wonder if there was talk of doing the same thing to the Wachovia Tower (Winston Tower) in Winston-Salem. Winston kinda did like Greensboro. Both buildings use to be a dark grey/blue color and they both were painted a light tan. If Winston has trouble filling the building with office workers, it would make a great condo building, especially rising 30-stories with a great view of the mountains. Youd also be able to see Greensboro's skyline 28 miles away. A couple people from Winston told me they wish something similar could happen to that tower.
I don't think there has been a problem filling the Winston Tower with office workers. Anybody know what percent of Winston Tower has been leased out?

• 1 month later...

They have started putting the glass and plates in on the top floors. However the plate or (terra cotta) is not white. It looks like the blue glass. Did a design feature get changed?

I dont think it has at least with the white plates. Its possible there could have been some very slight changes but I think overall the top area will look the same. looking out my apartment window I have noticed the crane has been lowered.

I dont think it has at least with the white plates. Its possible there could have been some very slight changes but I think overall the top area will look the same. looking out my apartment window I have noticed the crane has been lowered.

They are taking it down today. That explains the scappling at the top. The crane was half way the building when I drove by this morning to work.

• 2 weeks later...

2008 could be the year for Carroll's second downtown tower. the business journal didnt specify if its the Centre Pointe companion or something else, but at least we know something tall is in the planning stages. Roy Carroll is the type of developer that makes thing happen...quickly.

Here is the business Journal link. Roy Carroll is planning a second high-rise project for downtown Greensboro.

Besided Issac Cain (developer proposing the Greensboro Triumph Center) Roy Caroll is the only other developer that thinks big and makes it happen for downtown Greensboro. Maybe that second high-rise project will be the hotel project that he mentioned and maybe it could be built next to Center Pointe. A luxury apartment tower is a possibilty since there is a high demand for rental units downtown. I hope it will be taller than anything currently downtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2.../07/story2.html

Roy seems to be one of the few local developers that has a "real" vision of what downtown Greensboro can be. He's not afraid to take risks. He seems to move forward with his plans. For this, I wish him success!

I am a little worried about how the overall economy will play out in 2008. Greensboro and the rest of the Triad will have to work extra hard to keep things moving forward. Action Greensboro, Downtown Greensboro Inc., and other organizations really have their work cut out for them this year.

I dream of the day when we read of 300+ jobs and a new anchor employer coming to DT Greensboro!

• 2 weeks later...

wow that panoramic view is cool..thanks citi!!

If a second building was to be built like that picture from awhile back showed, wouldnt that completely block the view from one of the sides of the current building? Wouldnt the people buying one of these places have to know this before they moved in?

There appears to be no balconies on that side which leads me to believe units on that side have them on the front or in the back. I believe owners would have been briefed about the possibility of a future tower going there, given that there are no balconies on that particular side.

There appears to be no balconies on that side which leads me to believe units on that side have them on the front or in the back. I believe owners would have been briefed about the possibility of a future tower going there, given that there are no balconies on that particular side.

Roy Carroll did say that there are no windows or balconies on that side for anticipation for another tower but roningreensboro, I would assume the first 8 floors of the second tower would be a parking deck. To me that makes sense because it would provide the needed parking for the building and would solve the problem of tenants not having any views because of the adjacent parking structures. Also that would give the building more height if it were stacked on top of a parking deck. That would help it get up to 30-stories which apparently is what Roy Carroll envisions.

Roy Carroll did say that there are no windows or balconies on that side for anticipation for another tower but roningreensboro, I would assume the first 8 floors of the second tower would be a parking deck. To me that makes sense because it would provide the needed parking for the building and would solve the problem of tenants not having any views because of the adjacent parking structures. Also that would give the building more height if it were stacked on top of a parking deck. That would help it get up to 30-stories which apparently is what Roy Carroll envisions.

That does make sense but why not put 3 of the 8 floors in the ground like Center Pointe and have 5 above ground. Then the additional 3 floors that may be blocked by the deck can be office space then have the rest of the floors as residential. I feel like that would be better and raise the percent of avaliable office space.

I met a guy a few days ago who is serving on a DGI committee with me. He and his wife have bought a condo at Center Point and plan to move in either June or July. He would not confirm that they had been briefed about a future tower. However, he strongly believe that its coming. :thumbsup:

I dont know if 8 or 3 floors of above ground parking is the best idea for street activity, at least not for this area of downtown...and not for the sake of a 30 story tower. the ground floor should have some type of commercial, especially since G-boro is trying to attract more center-city retail. I honestly think Carroll can build a new tallest without above ground parking.

I dont know if 8 or 3 floors of above ground parking is the best idea for street activity, at least not for this area of downtown...and not for the sake of a 30 story tower. the ground floor should have some type of commercial, especially since G-boro is trying to attract more center-city retail. I honestly think Carroll can build a new tallest without above ground parking.

Look at it this way twincity. I believe the 6th street parking deck for the Hearst Building in Charlotte has two eating places built into it. Pita Pit and Fuel. The upper floors is for parking while you still can enter from the side. IMO it is possible to have commercial space and store fronts in an above ground parking deck. I also see your point that a parking deck with the tower on top would not work well with GSO urban fabric.

Archived