Center Pointe

cityboi

In the case of a second tower on that particular site, stacking the building on top of the parking deck may be the only way. A signifigant number of additional parking spaces will be needed for a building 20 to 30 stories and there is nowhere around the site to build another deck. The site is "land locked" So stacking the building on top of the deck combined with underground parking may be the only solution. I think one of Raleigh's new towers are done this way. I also think it is possible to still put street level retail/restaurant on the ground level. As a matter of fact The Bellmeade parking deck next to the lot has street level services, a dry cleaner and coffee shop. Clearly Roy Carroll plans to build a second tower on that site as tall as 30-stories. Hopefully Greensboro's potentially new tallest will take city to a new architectural level. We need another landmark tower. I really want to see some interesting architecture with this much like the Hearst Building in Charlotte. Greensboro needs to break out of its conservative shell and build something bold and sleek.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is this information about a new deck coming from, or is it just speculation?

I would think Roy Carroll could save a few dollars by buying parking spaces from the neighboring deck next door at the corner of Summit and Elm. It would be extremely expensive to go underground since you have to maintain the structural foundation of Elm Street, Center Pointe, and the two other decks bordering the site.

Where is this information about a new deck coming from, or is it just speculation?

I would think Roy Carroll could save a few dollars by buying parking spaces from the neighboring deck next door at the corner of Summit and Elm. It would be extremely expensive to go underground since you have to maintain the structural foundation of Elm Street, Center Pointe, and the two other decks bordering the site.

Its speculation..the problem is hes already purchased spaces from from the adjacent decks for Center Pointe. From what I was told a while back, there were a limited number of spaces for his Center Pointe project. He wasnt even sure if he was going to have enough parking to make the Center Pointe project work at one time. As a matter of fact, the lot next door will be used for Center Pointe parking until he builds there. If Roy Carroll builds a tower next door thats 20 to 30 stories, he will have to build a parking structure some kind of way for his tower. You cant just build towers and not have anywhere for residents or office workers to park. The only solution I see would be to build a deck that is a part of the tower itself. Its the only way for this very small, tight tract of land. Everything has to be vertical. Towers being stacked on parking decks is becoming more and more common due to lack of space. That kind of construction is actually not new. Here is "One Biscayne Tower" in Miami (built in 1973)

miami44.jpg

Of course designs have improve today where you cant even tell the lower floors are for parking.

I believe there are 7 to 8 decks in downtown that I know are not used 100% of the time at any given time. The reason I'm saying this is because I think it would be quite expensive to engineer a parking deck for that small lot, not to mention the cain the city council would raise about an unfriendly parking deck greeting Elm Street and their new park (at least I'd think they would :scared:).

I believe there are 7 to 8 decks in downtown that I know are not used 100% of the time at any given time. The reason I'm saying this is because I think it would be quite expensive to engineer a parking deck for that small lot, not to mention the cain the city council would raise about an unfriendly parking deck greeting Elm Street and their new park (at least I'd think they would :scared:).

There are other decks downtown but when it comes to building a tower, you need plentiful parking next to the tower or at least across the street from it. No one would want to live in a tower next to Center Pointe and have to walk 4 blocks to get to their car because there are not enough parking spaces nearby for a tall tower being built on that lot and the next nearest parking decks are about 3 or 4 blocks away. I think a building stacked on a parking deck can be done the right way...you can still have street level retail facing the road on the bottom floor and decks today can be designed so that you'd never know they were parking decks. Some parking decks cleverly look like office buildings. Parking is an issue in making projects work. The lack of a parking deck next to a proposed hotel in the southern part of downtown Greensboro is a big reason that plan fell through a few years ago.

I agree that you need parking near a residential tower, but residents of the Nissen Building in Winston-Salem have to walk 1-2 blocks from a local deck. I made a quick map that shows decks within two blocks of Center Pointe. I personally think it would be better if Carroll inked a deal to have a number of spaces set aside in one of these decks because it would put more people on the street instead of having everything confined into one building.

Greensboro.jpg

I agree that you need parking near a residential tower, but residents of the Nissen Building in Winston-Salem have to walk 1-2 blocks from a local deck. I made a quick map that shows decks within two blocks of Center Pointe. I personally think it would be better if Carroll inked a deal to have a number of spaces set aside in one of these decks because it would put more people on the street instead of having everything confined into one building.

Greensboro.jpg

Trust me those decks would be too far away from anything Roy Carroll proposes for that lot. There is a difference between parking for an apartment building vs parking for a condo building. If Im spending $300,000 to $1,000,000 on a condo, I dont want to have to walk 3 or 4 blocks to my car everytime I need to go somewhere and the kinds of people who can afford those condos wont either, especially if they are older empty nesters. A couple of the decks you highlighted are exclusively parking for those towers like the deck attached to the Renaisannce Plaza Tower and the Lincoln Financial deck. Most of the decks that you have highlighted are city parking decks. Even if those decks were taken into consideration, where would the people who come downtown to the clubs, restaurants, ect park if they are taken by downtown residents? Alot of downtown patrons in the evening do use the public decks, especially the bellmeade deck next to the vacant lot, so it would make parking difficult for them. besides, Roy Carroll has already taken the maximum spaces in the bellemeade deck allowed for his Center Pointe development.

A new deck should be built for Roy Carroll's second tower and in "this unique case" the tower should be stacked above the parking deck.

You have a valid point, the prices of these condos, that I did not consider. I was assuming that he could make a deal with the Bellmeade Parking Deck, because I have been downtown on weekend nights and only the first two to three floors were full. It would be my guess that this conceptual second tower of Center Pointe would have less than 250 units, which would be enough spaces to squeeze out of Bellemeade.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived