Richmond CenterStage

burt

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have to dress up? I hate dressing up...

Haha. This is not a black tie affair, Cam. Shorts and tank top will be fine. :lol:

There is another story in the RT-D today repeating information we've read about the Saturday opening. But it has "an artist's rendering of the interior of CenterStage" which I'd like to see. Problem is, I can't access it online. If any of you have hard copies of today's paper maybe it's there.

Here's the RT-D story:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...erstage/291643/

Are you in town Burt for the grand opening?

Yes, Henry. Flying in tomorrow for the opening, then returning to NYCity the next day. We are in Row A of First Dress Center, seats 116 and 117 (directly behind the expensive section in the balcony.) Still wearing a boot to protect my broken foot, so look for an old man growing a beard and hobbling around. I'd like to say "hello."

My flight Sunday is not until 6PM, so I'll be taking the public tour that day. I want to see everything I can after all these years of anticipation.

Grand Opening Saturday night was fantastic. The Richmond Symphony (or about 50 of its musicians) were in the very large pit and accompanied the nine performance groups. My favorite hands down (in addition to the symphony which was live-cast simultaneously on a screen) was the incredible Richmond Ballet using the entire house and the immense stage with its lighting plot and dancers in Stoner Winslett's choreography of WINDOWS, PART IV scored by Richmonder Jonathan Romeo.

Tim and Daphne Reid (of episodic TV comedy fame) emceed the evening flawlessly. And there were excellent presentations by SPARC; Elegba Folklore Society; Richmond Shakespeare; African American Repertory Theatre; Virginia Opera; Richmond Jazz Society, and Barksdale Theatre/Theatre IV.

The biggest, loudest and longest applause from the sold-out house went to The Richmond Ballet and to SPARC (School for the Performing Arts in the Richmond Community) which is the largest provider of community based theatre arts training for young people in the nation. Ranging in age from pre-teens to early 20's. the young people gave a stirring, very committed, polished and choreographed performance of three songs from LES MIZ.

The finale brought all 200+ performers on stage as well as conductors Erin Freeman of the Richmond Symphony, Peter Mark of Virginia Opera and Ron Matson conductor for The Richmond Ballet.

The Richmond Ballet is planning their annual week here at the Joyce Theatre in New York in April. But if WINDOWS is on their NY schedule, they'll have to trim the production considerably. As accommodating as the stage is at The Joyce, it has very little fly space, so the dancers who flew in from the grid at Richmond's Carpenter Theatre will have to be re-choreographed.

My friends and I finished off the evening with drinks and 'small plates' at the newly remodled and lively LEMAIRE in The Jefferson Hotel.

My flights in and out of RIC were fine -- half hour delay on Saturday at JFK, but right on schedule leaving RIC and arriving JFK last night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source, thanks for the Sunday night pictures above. With the two decorative pieces on the marquee there isn't room to get Musiq Soulchild's name up there without splitting it. Ledisi gets top billing in this configuration. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The Richmond Symphony makes its debut within the new orchestra shell on stage at The Carpenter Theatre tonight, September 26th. The program is "Carmina Burana" and the house should be sold out.

See The Arts in Metro Richmond thread for more info about the Symphony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's Ed Slipek's take on the exuberant refurbishment of the old Loew's Theatre and Thalhimer building which, combined, make up Richmond Center Stage on East Grace between 6th and 7th Streets.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=99A08CDEA1884CD986B5F31F076C776D&AudID=B41896E73131487DA9D3430288834D1D

• 1 month later...

The Genworth BrightLights Arts Education Center gets underway this weekend at Richmond Center Stage. It occupies 8,000 square feet on the third floor of Dorothy Pauley Square in the renovated Thalhimer building adjacent to The Carpenter Theatre.

This weekend's activities includes performances all over the complex including the huge stage of the 1,800 capacity theatre.

Here's a story with video by Will Jones in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/ARTE22_20100121-220606/319315/

Due to the weather situation,"Simply Sinatra", the Richmond Symphony concert which had been scheduled for last night at The Carpenter Theatre will be performed at the theatre on Saturday, May 29th at 8PM. Tickets will be honored for the May 29th concert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John Legend will appear tonight at The Carpenter Theatre in a commemoration of a sit-in by 34 Virginia Union University students at Thalhimer's lunch counter on Feb. 22nd, 1960.

Thalhimer's (Department Store) occupied the vacant lot on Broad between 6th and 7th Streets. The back wall of the new stage house of The Carpenter Theatre is approximately the location of the former Thalhimer lunch counter.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/music/article/JOHN22_20100221-223003/325983/

I thought that Rhythm Hall on the first level of Dorothy Pauley Square at Center Stage was intended primarily for jazz concerts. It's a great space, but I have no idea of its acoustics. To my knowledge there have been no concerts of any description in the room.

Gottwald Playhouse on the second level is used frequently, albeit not by the more prestigeous theatre groups in the city.

Theatre bookings at the Landmark Theatre as well as traveling attractions at The Carpenter Theatre, both of which work under an agreement with SMG, certainly have not been memorable. On the plus side, there have been negotiations to bring in the National Company of the musical WICKED to The Landmark for a three-week run in March.

Perhaps Richmond Center Stage should look to Hampton Roads for inspiration. New venues such as The Ferguson Theatre in Newport News and The Sandler Center in Virginia Beach attract locals with name performers that bypass Richmond. There are even organized bus tours from Richmond to events at these venues.

An administrator is supposed to be announced for Richmond Center Stage this spring. Hopefully, that person will be knowledgeable and influencial in the field of theatre management and is unencumbered by internal interference.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to report that Center Stage in collaborartion with SMG and Jam Theatricals has announced a pathetic Broadway season for 2010-11 in Richmond.

This is particularly unfortunate since a deal was made among the three entities and the producers of WICKED to bring in the second National company of the musical which is currently in a three-week profitable run at The Landmark Theatre.

All but one of the promised productions inked in for The Landmark next season are two-night stands of less than first rate traveling companies. The exception is a one-nighter of Hal Holbrook's "Mark Twain" on October 2nd at The Carpenter Theatre.

Susan Haubenstock began her review in yesterday's RTD with: "Finally, finally, finally WICKED has flown into Richmond. The 2003 musical has had long stands in bigger cities and has another national tour going, but the production that's arrived for an unprecedented three-week engagement at The Landmark Theater is big, lush and full-blooded."

Her review ends with: "...and at last Richmond has entered the 21st century, theatrical-tour-wise."

Regrettably, Susan, your words are not prophetic.

http://www2.timesdis...-211203/330054/

• 2 months later...

The latest news letter from Richmond Center Stage includes a PR plug for a Broadway musical called THE ADDAMS FAMILY that recently opened and is a huge box office smash despite luke warm reviews (not withstanding the hand-picked blurbs in the website.) It stars Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth and is a visual spectacular.

Truth is, Richmond Center Stage has invested in the musical and it is rumored that in exchange for their investment, Richmond (either The Carpenter or more likely The Landmark Theatre ) will be the first stop in Virginia when and if a National Tour is launched.

Here's the website:

http://www.theaddamsfamilymusical.com/

On a side note, the outstanding grosses WICKED racked up during its recent 3-week engagement at The Landmark is getting the attention of major road company producers. The show pulled in the highest grosses in the nation during its Richmond run.

The Landmark's bookings as well as those at The Carpenter Theatre are under the aegis of Richmond Center Stage.

• 1 month later...

I bet a quarter the City Administration as well as area residents, potential restaurateurs and retailers are discouraged about the lack of activity at Richmond Center Stage during the summer.

According to the "Events" feature on its web site the entire facility (Carpenter Theatre, Gottwald Playhouse and Rhythm Hall) will be vacant during all of July. Two one-night events are scheduled in August, then nothing until September 25th.

It breaks my heart to say it, but is this the way to run a performing arts center?

Take a look at the web site and click "Events."

http://www.richmondcenterstage.com

Archived