Richmond CenterStage

burt

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest August 12th update 31 days prior to opening will be posted soon by TBurban.

Sound reflectors in the shape of clouds can be raised or lowered from the starlit ceiling in front of the proscenium arch.

I suspect they will start "tuning" the house soon.

Keep an eye out for the picture which may be slightly delayed because Tommy (TBurban) is vacationing. It's an interesting photograph.

Here we go:

Untitled-4.jpg

Hey Burt, are you anywhere near Midtown East? I spent the last couple nights at my cousin's place off 51st. We'll have to meet up next time, I didn't think I was going to be in the city that long otherwise I would've given you a buzz! Spending most of my time out on Lon' Gisland ;) Back tomorrow

Thanks for posting the update so promptly, Tommy.

I'm midtown west.

The cloud sound reflectors, it should be noted, are in an unfinished state.

Only 31 days to go before the unveiling.

Opening night tickets at 8PM on Saturday, September 12th are still available. Free tours of the entire facility will be open to the public from 1PM to 5PM on Sunday, September 13th.

Images and descriptions courtesy of Burt:

Centerstage Update for 8/18/09

Untitled-7.jpg

The sunscreen is being installed at the upper facade of Dorothy Pauley Square.

Untitled2-3.jpg

Progress view of the 6th Street Arcade, looking toward Broad Street. (Box office is on the right.)

Sorry for the delay..classes start tomorrow!

Images and descriptions courtesy of Burt:

Centerstage Update for 8/18/09

Untitled-7.jpg

The sunscreen is being installed at the upper facade of Dorothy Pauley Square.

Untitled2-3.jpg

Progress view of the 6th Street Arcade, looking toward Broad Street. (Box office is on the right.)

Sorry for the delay..classes start tomorrow!

Does anyone besides me remember when Dorthy Pauley Square was the newest section of Thalhimer's Department Store which connected to the original buildings that swept along 7th, Broad and 6th Streets? The men's department was on the first floor of what is now Pauley Square. Prior to the erection of this building there was a paved lot that was called "The Parking Lot Canteen", a USO outpost for the military during World War II, where big bands played for dancing. Before that, there was a five-story YMCA on this corner at 7th and Grace.

16 days 'til Grand Opening of Richmond Center Stage on September 12th.

TBurban has yesterday's Construction Update and will post it soon. I suspect there will be only two more updates prior to opening.

Brian Reagan (spelling?) is booked into the Carpenter Theatre on November 22nd. I believe he is a prominent comedian.

Brian Regan is awesome!! We need Jim Gaffigan to come back and perform at the Carpenter!!

Here are today's updates, courtesy of Burt:

CenterStage Richmond update 8/25/09:

Untitled2-5.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

In the Carpenter Theatre, renovation / restoration of Orchestra Seating and Lobby nears completion.

Thanks for posting the August 25th construction update, TBurban. I think there will be two more before September 12th opening date.

In addition to Brian Regan on November 22nd, there are two other concert bookings I've heard of at The Carpenter Theatre:

September 18th: Musiq Soulchild and Ledisi.

and:

September 19th: The Oak Ridge Boys.

David Copperfield and his magic show comes in for a one-nighter sometime in the fall.

And the somewhat risque Broadway puppet show, AVENUE Q, is also on the fall schedule.

And, of course, The Richmond Symphony, Richmond Ballet and The Virginia Opera are all schelduled for concerts and performances throughout the year.

Here is what the marquee looked like a few years ago before renovations began at The Carpenter Theatre.

Aside from that interesting comparison, Jim Brickman's name will appear on the new digital marquee when he returns for a performance on New Year's Eve to

welcome in 2010.

This photograph from Miklos Pogonyi's collection:

http://picasaweb.google.com/miklospogonyi/...018009669833026

I'm hoping Cadeho will move his latest exterior pix of the performing arts center to this site.

And thanks to our Moderator, Krazeeboi, for removing the "Under Construction" words to the title of this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening night tickets are still available. I'm scratching my head over the failure of the Foundation to book a name entertainer in addition to showing off the resident companies on September 12th. Tony Bennett opened the renovated Paramount Theatre in Charlottesville a couple of years ago and quickly sold out the venue.

Archived