Richmond CenterStage

burt

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richmond CenterStage is coming up on its 3rd Birthday in September. It has three performing spaces.

The photo highlighted below is the interior of The Carpenter Theatre. There is also the 200+seat Gottwald Playhouse, and another venue called Rhythm Hall.

http://www.richmondc...ge.com/about-us

Click video under "photos" and you'll see The Min Xiao-Fen's Pipa Trio performing in the Gottwald Playhouse.

The second video called "Singles in the City" is a bachelor/bachelorette auction held in Rhythm Hall.

The other two are from a high-school event called "Bardathon" which, definitely, is not to be confused with the professional Richmond Shakespeare Theatre which sometime uses the Gottwald Playhouse.

Is anybody else disappointed with the volume of events being scheduled for the Carpenter? There are a total of 2 events scheduled for the whole month of July. Are we afraid of getting our new theater worn out with too many events -- sorta like the grandmother with the dust cover on the good couch?

I agree, jb, and am unable to guess at their reasoning. The place is busy from September through May, and now in their 3rd year, this is the theatre's busiest entertainment summer. I believe, as infrequent as they are, bookings this season are a result of The Landmark being closed during June, July and August for refurbishment.

The Carpenter's1,800 seating capacity is too small to attract big shows at reasonable ticket prices. The stage facilities could probably handle any show on the road, although I've heard that one elaborate production cancelled because the producer claimed the proscenium arch was not high enough for some of his show's effects.

The theatre is used more often than the public realizes for special meetings and corporate events. If you recall during May, white tents (some for catered meals) were up for several days along 6th Street and on the lot between 6th and 7th Streets. That event was a Capital One affair for employees which filled the theatre more than once.

The $50 million renovation of The Landmark Theatre which began about a month ago will not require the disassembly of the famous Wurlitzer organ.

There are not many of the mighty Wurlitzer theatre organs remaining in the country, and it's impressive that Richmond has three of them -- The Landmark (formerly known as The Mosque), The Byrd Theatre and The Carpenter Theatre (built as Loew's Richmond in 1928.)

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...iqu-ar-2013324/

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time when the local print media would assign free-lance critics to cover notable performers when they appeared on local stages. Now-a-days, that is a rare practice.

Several friends attended Idina Menzel's concert last Friday at The Carpenter Theatre and were blown away. They had seats in Row P under the lip of the balcony and were unable to determine if the upper reaches were as full as the orchestra level. But, according to them, it was a loud, adoring and demonstrative audience.

About 25 Richmond Symphony musicians along with three who travel with Menzel were on stage with the singer. if I understand correctly, the stage was hung with diaphanous scrim-like swags that billowed as if in a breeze. Ms Menzel, barefoot as is her custom, entranced the audience with her repertoir from RENT, WICKED and new material.

I wish I could have been there.

Incidentally, tables at the new 525 AT THE BERRY BURK were full prior to the concert and its bar was jammed after the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new name for The Landmark Theatre may be announced in a couple of weeks. Money is on ALTRIA (Philip Morris) but DOMINION (Power Company) is a strong possibility.

IMO, the word ALTRIA sounds a bit Middle Eastern and would befit the character of the mosque-like theatre.

The Richmond Center Stage series of nightclub entertainment called "Life is a Cabaret" which began last year with KT Sullivan in The Dorothy Pauley Pavillion (better known as the old Thalhimer building) will return beginning in October.

All performances will be in Rhythm Hall which will be configured in a club setting with tables. Food and drinks will be available.

Top names on the schedule are Molly Ringwald and Amanda McBroom. For the first time, a male vocalist is booked for the series. His name is Tony Desare.

Well known Richmond singer, Desiree Roots who starred in the Richmond production of DESSA ROSE last spring is booked for a gig.

Cabaret is a form of entertainment usually found in large cities, but even in New York there are fewer venues since the closing of The Oak Room in The Algonquin Hotel and the chic club next to The Rainbow Room atop 30 Rock.

Here is the schedule of performances from today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...ond-ar-2044243/

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond CenterStage has announced its Broadway shows for the 2012-2013 season. The five shows, all musicals, are:

HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS

BILLY ELLIOT

MARY POPPINS

LES MISERABLES

THE WEST SIDE STORY

Unlike this season, none of them will be in town for more than one week. And while venues for each show have not been announced, it's likely they will all play at The Landmark Theatre.

http://broadwayinrichmond.com/#3

SMG must have its reasons for failing to list the 2012-2013 Broadway season in the "events" list on http://www.richmondcenterstage.com.

Well, I was half correct in the above post. The 2012-2013 Broadway Series is not yet under the 'events' heading on the website. But digging around the site I discovered it's all on a facebook page.

All shows will be at The Altria Theatre. There are video clips plus news and comments.

https://www.facebook...mond?ref=stream

NOTE: The most recent Broadway production of WEST SIDE STORY was sung and performed in Spanish, but it's likely the touring company will be an English language version.

The Altria (formerly Landmark Theatre) is closed for renovation during summer months only in 2012 and 1213, but will be open for the upcoming Broadway season.

Work will be complerted for a grand opening in October 2013 and the Broadway in Richmond 2013-2014 season will have a blockbuster or two in the rejuvenated space.

• 2 weeks later...

A show called "Scream Tour Next Generation Part 2" was scheduled at The Carpenter Theatre for Thursday, August 16th. Tickets, ranging in price from $39 to $149.50 had been on sale, but it has been announced that the show is cancelled due to TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES.

This is the second time I've heard that a show was cancelled at The Carpenter because of technical problems. I thought the new 50' deep stage with about 50 line sets was capable of hanging just about any show on tour.

Maybe it was the top ticket price of $150 that was the "technical" problem.

Anyway, if you're holding tickets, apply for refund at point of purchase.

Click events at: http://www.richmondcenterstage.com

Well, I was half correct in the above post. The 2012-2013 Broadway Series is not yet under the 'events' heading on the website. But digging around the site I discovered it's all on a facebook page.

All shows will be at The Altria Theatre. There are video clips plus news and comments.

https://www.facebook...mond?ref=stream

NOTE: The most recent Broadway production of WEST SIDE STORY was sung and performed in Spanish, but it's likely the touring company will be an English language version.

The Altria (formerly Landmark Theatre) is closed for renovation during summer months only in 2012 and 1213, but will be open for the upcoming Broadway season.

Work will be complerted for a grand opening in October 2013 and the Broadway in Richmond 2013-2014 season will have a blockbuster or two in the rejuvenated space.

I was premature in referring to The Landmark as The Altria Theatre. The name change will not occur until October 2013 when renovation work is complete and a new marquee has been hung on the building's facade.

Charleston, South Carolina's city of history and art appreciation, was smart enough (with the help of Gian Carlo Mennotti) to snatch up an Italian music/theatre/arts event when The Spoletto Festival on the Italian peninsula ended some years ago.

The two-week late spring event (still called The Spoletto Festival) brings International attention and enormous economic benefits to Charleston.

The largest professional venue in Charleston is The Gaillard Center. It is similar to European opera houses with its horse-shoe shaped auditorium and deep stage. The Charleston city government has recently approved, unnanimously, a $142 million renovation of the building which will have a seating capacity of 1,800.

The Dock Street Theatre, an intimate and historical venue of less than 1,000 seats, is also a strong focus during The Spoletto Festiva as are other local performance halls in Charleston.

My point of this post:

Can not Richmond, during the upcoming World Cycling Championships in 2015, utilize its multiple and splendid theatrical facilities to showcase its music, dance, opera and theatrical organizations as well as big names in entertainment from around the World?

About half million visitors from around the World will be in the area during September of 2015.

Here is the plan for Charleston's Gaillard Center:

http://www.gaillardfoundation.org/project-team/

• 2 weeks later...

The 200-seat Gottwald Playhouse is in The Dorothy Pauley Pavillion next to The Carpenter Theatre at Richmond CenterStage.

The Henley Street Theatre Company appears to be the only tenant in the 2012-2013 season. It will offer two productions, each running for about three weeks. The first, from December 6th through December 31st is a one woman play called "The Search For Signs of Intelligent Life in The Universe."

The second production will be "Julius Caesar" from March 28th through April 20th.

• 2 weeks later...

The Saturday September 8th Third Anniversary celebration for Richmond CenterStage which was to have featured Wynonna Judd will be rescheduled.

According to news reports Ms Judd's husband, Cactus, was involved in a motorcycle crash in South Dakota last week resulting in the loss of his legs.

For refund information, CenterStage has released this statement:

http://www.richmondc...-be-rescheduled

Bill Lohmann, writing in today's Times Dispatch, details how Richmond CenterStage has spurred development in a former moribund stretch of downtown.

He mentions developments such as the new Federal Court House; Hilton Garden Inn and Miller & Rhoads Apartments; 525 At The Berry Burk; Pasture Restaurant, and Residences at The John Marshall -- all of which may have been developed because of Richmond CenterStage.

What I find odd is that there is no mention of The National Theatre in the immediate area which opened a year or so prior to RCS.

I would be willing to bet a quarter that the National's annual concert series by popular youth oriented musicians attracts a larger audience to downtown in a single year than all three of the RCS facilities.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2012/sep/09/tdmain01-three-years-later-centerstage-leads-downt-ar-2190050/

Be sure to check the Gallery in the Related Box.

The second picture is an aerial shot in 2005 showing The Carpenter Theatre and the old Thalhimer building next door that houses The Gottwald Playhouse, Rhythm Hall and educational facilities.

The full block under construction is now the new Federal Court House. Behind it is a brick tower that was formerly Murphy's Hotel before demolition.

Still don't understand why they had to demolish it (Murphy's)......

could have become another high-rise apartment conversion project.....

RVA, go to the thread titled "New State Office Building at 8th and Broad Street" on Page 2 of this forum. Then click to page 3 of that topic to find an entry by Wrldcoupe4 posted on 17 December 2007 at 4:51PM.

You'll see some pictures of what was proposed to replace Murphy's Hotel.

The economy ended that dream. That's why a parking lot occupies the site.

Ohh right right right..... so THAT's where the building was supposed to go. I had always loved that design, big nice and glassy but only could keep reading and dreaming about it when it got cancelled..... I didn't know THAT building was supposed to replace Murphy's.... I'm very much familiar with that proposed office building....

• 1 month later...

Archived