Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

59 minutes ago, MarcoPolo said:

Yes, @Windsurfer light rail has certainly "scaled up"  the density of the corridor, but I wouldn't rush to christen it a Main Street just yet.  To truly be classified as such it would need to pedestrianize itself and embrace the development it has given birth to.  At the moment it is still a rail line, buffered along almost every foot of its length, except at actual stations.   Walking along the non-station segments  has the look and feel one would expect along the edges of many suburban office parks, and apartment complexes, festooned with bushes, berms and fencing.  It is still a barrier to pedestrians.  The photo @CarolinaCrown posted is beautiful and engaging until you look down and study the rail line itself.  Pretty bleak and uninviting.  The "Main Street" action the Blue Line has generated is almost entirely  "off line" so to speak  😉

For wonderful examples of Main Streets and other streetscapes that combine both light rail / tram with pedestrian oriented streets, plazas, and spaces, which engage properly with adjoining development one needs to look mostly abroad.  I'll post some pictures of wonderful examples later of a few projects I've worked on in Athens Greece (not Georgia), and Paris (you know where Paris is).   To  quickly see what I'm talking about just Google  "light rail pedestrian corridors" in Athens, Paris, Europe etc.   You'll see images such as those attached here.  

In most countries that incorporate light rail/trams into a system of transportation, the vehicles and tracks are physically part of the civic realm through which the pass.  People engage with them as they do cars, and for us in the US, monster cars and trucks.  I can already see the DOT minded twitching and convulsing possibly even apoplectic at the thought of such craziness!   Yet the world still turns and the sun rises in the east in all these places with nowhere near the daily carnage experienced here in the States by the walking and biking  public.

Fingers crossed for the day we are allowed to redesign the blue line corridor to actually become a Main Street. 😎

ar0_sbg-lrt-tram-ped-mall-cimg2879a-trama-place-kleber-20130925_franz-roski.jpg

18c483e63fedbe94ce63e5c56a3bc19c.jpg

Yep, all of the above.  You can include Portland, Oregon in the mix as well.  Unfortunately, with the demise of food trucks in Portland, in favor of more high rises, things are beginning to look sterile here too.  Trade Street has that potential.  What's holding it back?  

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I remember that skyline from early 80s that had the 3 tall towers NCNB Plaza, Wachovia and Jefferson First Union building and the 22 story Southern National Bank building.  

a few from the Brookshire today.  

20240405_104114(0).jpg

20240405_104115.jpg

So many different good angles!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, KJHburg said:

More of the video of the day.  this is the former executive suite of First Union and Wachovia when the CEO sat here.  It has been renovated into an amenity area for the entire building with some office suites below.  Check out the views in this 4 minute video.  

""Newly renovated amenity floors (41-42) and executive suites (40th floor) offer panoramic views in a luxurious modern style"  video from Loopnet and listing agent.

This is the type of space that I would envision for KJ Industries world headquarters with outside space, stunning views and dramatic space.  

I have been there for a dinner party and it is remarkable.  Would be an Iconic restaurant or perhaps a location should the City Club decide to move.

• Like 3