Professional Sports In Greater Little Rock

LIT uPP

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found a thread about the possibility of an NBA team in Little Rock, but that doesn’t fit the following topic. So I decided to create a catch-all thread for professional sports in the Little Rock area.

Channel 4 reports that a new professional football league has its eyes on Little Rock’s War Memorial Stadium. Stadium officials have confirmed discussions with representatives of the new All American Football League. This league would focus on fielding each team with recent graduates from local/regional universities who did not make the NFL, but who were popular with the local fans. The Little Rock team would therefore pull most of its players from Arkansas colleges and universities. You can vote for the Arkansas team by going to www.allamericanfootballleague.com , clicking the link for “Teams,” and scrolling down to vote for up to ten teams from the list. The inaugural season is scheduled for spring, 2008.

We won't ever draw an NBA team.

OKC is next in line. Before the draft I was expecting Seattle to move to OKC but, of course, with the acquisition of Kevin Durant and Jeff Green that probably won't be happening.

If OKC ever does land a team, there would be NBA teams located in Memphis, OKC, and Dallas. Not much room there for Arkansas, but that is moot because we wouldn't even be in the discussion.

Kansas City, San Francisco (Golden State is in Oakland), St. Louis, Nashville, Cinncinnati, and San Deigo are all cities without NBA teams.

We won't ever draw an NBA team.

OKC is next in line. Before the draft I was expecting Seattle to move to OKC but, of course, with the acquisition of Kevin Durant and Jeff Green that probably won't be happening.

If OKC ever does land a team, there would be NBA teams located in Memphis, OKC, and Dallas. Not much room there for Arkansas, but that is moot because we wouldn't even be in the discussion.

Kansas City, San Francisco (Golden State is in Oakland), St. Louis, Nashville, Cinncinnati, and San Deigo are all cities without NBA teams.

I agree that Arkansas won't get an NBA team. I'd be surprised if Memphis has theirs in 5 years. OKC may get one but I'd be surprised if they keep it. Terribly marginal NBA markets hemorrhage money, which is currently a big problem for the Griz.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard about the AAFL and looking to states big on college football that don't have any pro teams. Although there aren't plans immediate plans for Arkansas they are supposedly looking at Arkansas. At first I figured Little Rock would be the market they'd look at in Arkansas. But overall they seem to be trying to play at the university campuses. Granted the Razorback's situation is a bit odd playing home games at two locations. Broyles has seemed reluctant to let non Razorback teams play on university facilities. But then again he will be stepping down in the near future so maybe things will change. But you'd still think that maybe Little Rock would be of interest to them as well. But I don't know how the Rhinos did. Does anyone think Little Rock would be a good location for a future AAFL team?

I've heard about the AAFL and looking to states big on college football that don't have any pro teams. Although there aren't plans immediate plans for Arkansas they are supposedly looking at Arkansas. At first I figured Little Rock would be the market they'd look at in Arkansas. But overall they seem to be trying to play at the university campuses. Granted the Razorback's situation is a bit odd playing home games at two locations. Broyles has seemed reluctant to let non Razorback teams play on university facilities. But then again he will be stepping down in the near future so maybe things will change. But you'd still think that maybe Little Rock would be of interest to them as well. But I don't know how the Rhinos did. Does anyone think Little Rock would be a good location for a future AAFL team?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see the Twisters last night and was pleased to see they still have solid fan support. Attendance was 6600, quite good by AF2 standards, and more impressive considering the Travs were playing a few blocks away and also drew over 5000. I really think the Twisters and Travs are really rooted in now for long-term success. It's any other leagues that will have to struggle and have a solid league backing them.

I went to see the Twisters last night and was pleased to see they still have solid fan support. Attendance was 6600, quite good by AF2 standards, and more impressive considering the Travs were playing a few blocks away and also drew over 5000. I really think the Twisters and Travs are really rooted in now for long-term success. It's any other leagues that will have to struggle and have a solid league backing them.

Archived