IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have recent info on how this project is doing (occupancy rates and recent prices)? It would be perfect from what I'm looking to buy but is just out of my price range. If the market cools a bit more I would def consider a condo here (but I'm guessing there are many people that feel the same).

thats something i dont understand and its because im not a real estate company but wouldnt it make sense to build something tall and cheap to make profits...people arent always looking for luxury...i think theres a bigger demand for comfort. another question i had about waterplace is...instead of building two - 20something towers...why not build 1 for 40??

thats something i dont understand and its because im not a real estate company but wouldnt it make sense to build something tall and cheap to make profits...people arent always looking for luxury...i think theres a bigger demand for comfort. another question i had about waterplace is...instead of building two - 20something towers...why not build 1 for 40??

it would've required a height variance and i'm sure it would've come with a lot more opposition.

maybe they'll build their other towers and make them more affordable...

isn't one of the high rises on federal hill one of the elderly affordable housing places? i think it's the one on dean st north of atwells.

The problem currently with "affordable" towers is their past reputation. Cities across the country built projects that concentrated and isolated poverty and became dismal failures riddled with crime and drug use. You can fix those mistakes by integrating towers into the city streetscape like Westin and OneTen and Waterplace have and by mixing the income levels in the buildings.

The problem currently with "affordable" towers is their past reputation. Cities across the country built projects that concentrated and isolated poverty and became dismal failures riddled with crime and drug use. You can fix those mistakes by integrating towers into the city streetscape like Westin and OneTen and Waterplace have and by mixing the income levels in the buildings.

I would imagine that there is enough land to make something like this work. If they could build a high rise tower of condos at that price point within walking distance to the train and mall in a safe clean building there would be high demand. You could have studios from 200K-300K, 1bds from $300-400K, etc. The lower end wouldn't necessarily be "lower income" residents they would likely be upper middle class grad students or young professionals that work in either Boston or Providence.

I think there's a big 'in-between' between "affordable housing" and luxury condos/apts. Is it financially feasible to build a mid-priced (200-300K) condo tower/complex in the city, or are these relegated to the suburbs due to construction costs, etc.???

Oh and not everyone needs granite countertops and an indoor pool so you can save a lot of money on the cost side of the equation. If people want that option charge them for it and make the prices more affordable for the rest of us and you can still provide a quality product.

Oh and not everyone needs granite countertops and an indoor pool so you can save a lot of money on the cost side of the equation. If people want that option charge them for it and make the prices more affordable for the rest of us and you can still provide a quality product.

Archived