New Tallest in Greenville?

erm1981

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Based on this Greenville News article from January 16, we should have seen renderings of the Gateway site development by now:

Thoennes and Roberson said they planned to release additional details, including an image of the proposed complex, in about three weeks.

"It will be a stunning building," Thoennes said. "It will be like something Greenville's never seen here."

It also says that construction will take about two years, so hopefully the delay in releasing renderings does not mean a delay in the groundbreaking. I wonder what's going on? Anyone heard anything?

So we have the recently completed HI and suites, the in progress Mariott, and RP sounds to be adding another possible hotel. If this project does indeed have a hotel component, that would be four hotels in the past couple of years for DT. I just wonder if the Peacock planners are rethinking their plans altogether. There may not be a demand for that many hotel rooms DT. :ph34r:

Even more surprising is that right now, Raleigh only has between 600-700 hotel rooms downtown. That will change once their 400-room, convention center Marriott is completed (which it will be this year, I think), but you would have thought there would be more rooms than that in their downtown. I think Charlotte has somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000. And yes, Greensboro only has about 250 rooms in their downtown hotel inventory, which is a pretty low number. However, there are plans for 3 additional hotels in the works, so their number could potentially at least double within the next few years. It should also be noted that Greensboro actually has the largest hotel in NC, the Sheraton Four Seasons, out near the I-85/I-40 intersection, with over 1,000 rooms. Not too sure about downtown Winston-Salem's number, but I want to say it's at least 1,000.

Even more surprising is that right now, Raleigh only has between 600-700 hotel rooms downtown. That will change once their 400-room, convention center Marriott is completed (which it will be this year, I think), but you would have thought there would be more rooms than that in their downtown. I think Charlotte has somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000. And yes, Greensboro only has about 250 rooms in their downtown hotel inventory, which is a pretty low number. However, there are plans for 3 additional hotels in the works, so their number could potentially at least double within the next few years. It should also be noted that Greensboro actually has the largest hotel in NC, the Sheraton Four Seasons, out near the I-85/I-40 intersection, with over 1,000 rooms. Not too sure about downtown Winston-Salem's number, but I want to say it's at least 1,000.

I'd be interested in knowing that information, too! The article from the BASS tournament said that typical occupancy rates were around 60% this time of year, I believe, for the area (and it was over 90 for the tournament). I would imagine that downtown's rates would be much higher due to the nature of the travelers being business people.

I had a dream last night that the Gateway project's details and renderings were produced to the public. The tallest tower was 23 stories, and the shorter one was 14. For whatever reason I could look at the rendering, or where it was suppose to be, but I couldn't see anything. I think I was actually trying so hard to look that I woke myself up, because I never got to see it...

I was hoping all day that it was a sign and we'd see some details today... but apparently not. Anyway, I'd take 23 and 14 for the number of stories in the towers. :rolleyes:

Archived