Founders Hall Renovations/Expansion

New Name

I was hoping I'd have a different opinion but after seeing it in person I am amazingly underwhelmed. The whole block is a trip back to the 70's and 80's. How could they get the Hearst tower so right at street level and then do this?

How could they get it right with Hearst, and so wrong here?

The answer is Hearst was built from scratch, this is a low cost solution to a 1990s design. If you had wanted to completely orient this to the street it would have tacked on at least 80 million to the price tag, so with what was paid for what we got, I am pretty happy. I feel like this is a HUGE improvment to what WAS there, if you want this done right, you need to travel back in time to 1991, when this complex was being designed.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

When I came through uptown around 6pm, The the bottom of the bridge between Founders Hall and the new BofA building had pulsating LED lights glowing

red, white and blue. I also swung around to the HOF and the large television was on showing NASCAR races. Man it is great to live in Charlotte.

Is that sarcasm ??(Although I do think its great to live here). I think the red, white & blue lights glowing were a bit cheesy....as for nascar...you don't want to know my opinion lol.

The founder's hall "improvements" are slightly better than what was there. At least there is a wider sidewalk, and they've opened up the Trade Street side a little more. The problem is that it's a glass overload. 1BAC, however, was built from scratch so they really have no excuses for that. The lights do help distract you from the glass though.

• 1 month later...

i have seen people using the skywalk but you can only get into the ritz carlton. so my hunch is that just the south walkway is open.

yes you can get to Taste from anywhere, all floors on the Trade/College corner open up into Founder's Hall. its on the 4th floor. i walked in there to check it out but they are only open for a few lunchtime hours during the week. seemed like a decent setup though, its kind of a small modern food court.

The College Street Side of Founders Hall (right opposite BLT) has a window advertisement with a picture of a guy saying more retail fashion coming soon. (I think it said fashion it might have said clothing).

This might be just a fluff advert for the Hall itself without anything concrete, but I was curious if anyone has heard of anything. On a related note the CBJ article on the new BoA tower across the street mentions retail a few times without any specifics (though there is apparently three floors of it). It would be nice to have some nice clothing options between the two buildings (it might even stir up foot traffic in Founders Hall.

• 1 year later...

I walked through Founders Hall recently and there is even less retail than before- Belle Ville moved out to the Epixentre, the copy/office supplies store (towards BofA Plaza) closed, and even Jos. A. Bank moved within Founders Hall (seemed to have downsized).

It's a fantastic looking mall, and it should have gotten a big shot in the arm from the Ritz-Carlton and an even bigger shot in the arm from the Epicentre, which seems busy, and both of which are literally right next door. But it's dead and deader. What's the deal?

It should have things like a Brooks Brothers, a nice jewelry store, a Ferragamo, a Johnston & Murphy, etc.- things you see at Charleston Place or next to nice office towers in other cities.

College street level side is horrendous. Very unappealing to people strolling along the streets. I walked from the Blumenthal to the Ritz and passed by in wonderment at what a missed opportunity that college street level space is.

Problem is it looks like office space. There is no signage whatsoever, and if you didn't know to walk in there you would think it's the entrance to more office space.

College street level side is horrendous. Very unappealing to people strolling along the streets. I walked from the Blumenthal to the Ritz and passed by in wonderment at what a missed opportunity that college street level space is.

Don't agree that College street is "horrendous" at all, but I do agree that there is still a missed opportunity on that side of the hall.

Apparently Rooster's of South Park is opening on the College Street side opposite of BLT.

This is great news for the Hall as it will attract more people.

That article has a lot of other great restaurant news/updates. I'm happy to hear something is going into that HUGE 525 N Tryon space finally, I could see it from my old place at the Tryon House and the drastic loss of activity when GW Fins closed was pretty sad.

I'm happy to hear something is going into that HUGE 525 N Tryon space finally, I could see it from my old place at the Tryon House and the drastic loss of activity when GW Fins closed was pretty sad.

Seems like that's the space where restaurants go to die, although I'm not sure how long Palomino's was there before it closed and GW Fins moved in.

Seems like that's the space where restaurants go to die, although I'm not sure how long Palomino's was there before it closed and GW Fins moved in.

Yeah, seems like a bit of a dead zone up there. People don't really want to walk past the all the loitering people on Tryon that seem to congregate north of Therapy.

Yeah, seems like a bit of a dead zone up there. People don't really want to walk past the all the loitering people on Tryon that seem to congregate north of Therapy.

that used to be literally my window at the front of Tryon House, so believe me, i saw it all. it wasn't half as bad as people seem to think, but it was especially fine when both Therapy and GW Fins were still there. i was there 3 years and miss it. even got to know a few of the guys who hang out there and there were some really nice people.

Archived