Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

....it's just now getting to the point where you can say "I'm from Charlotte", and not have to follow-up

with "North Carolina"!!!

yeah but its even more fun when people come to visit me and have no idea. i have a friend in Hendersonville who moved from up north, and he came in to town one night to party a little here. being pretty clueless to the region and thinking Charlotte was on the scale of maybe Asheville, where he HAD been, he said he was absolutely shocked when the skyline came into view and he had to drive down Tryon to get to my place. priceless.

I can tell you when the Nation is going to get a wake-up call that Charlotte is truly becoming.....

12/8/08

Hey, I'm a football fan, but more than see the Panthers crush the Bucs I more interested in

seeing what kind of television coverage of our skyline that we will get that Monday Night!!

I can almost see Madden pulling out his marker......"so you got a crane here, a crane there...

and and and.....when you have a lot of cranes......you got a heckuva lot of skysrapers coming"!

I remember a few years ago during a Panthers game when the commentator made a crack about "pickup trucks" in the parking lot. This year's ECU vs Va Tech game on ESPN was nothing but praise about Charlotte, with video of the Vue construction, mention of a "city under construction," and calling Bank of America stadium "one of the best in all the NFL"

I know this is kinda not eco-friendly, but I'd like for everybody to leave their office and condo lights on for the Monday night game to help really light up the city.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an interesting quote by Magic Johnson in an interview by the Austin American-Statesman. It looks like his Investment company, Canyon-Johnson Urban Funds, could be doing some projects in this area.

"The Carolinas are going to be the place where people are moving now," he said. "No. 1, you get more for your money. It's affordable. We saw where the trend is going, so that's where we're going to go."

Canyon-Johnson is the majority investor it the Block 21/W Hotel & Residences that is currently under construction in downtown Austin.

Article

Time.com has a "Postcard from Charlotte;" an article about Charlotte's growth as a city.

"And while the rest of the country is sinking, Charlotte is soaring, with 28 construction cranes downtown. It's got the nation's least-battered metropolitan-housing market, lowest office-vacancy rates and fastest-growing airport. It hosts the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats and the NFL's Carolina Panthers. Its center-city population has doubled since 2000, and its light-rail system, just a year old, is already approaching its ridership goal for 2025. Meanwhile, ribbon-cuttings are scheduled for the NASCAR Hall of Fame, three museums, a theater and an African-American cultural center by 2010."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1844558,00.html

So, FWIW, Emporis.com now has Charlotte listed as the 19th largest U.S. city past Baltimore.

LOL, great. Its more like 18th or 17th now though. According to the latest city estimates at least.

For the vast majority of people I know, Charlotte, NC is just a mid-sized city located somewhere in NC between Atlanta and Washington, D.C. Many don't even seem to know exactly where in NC it is geographically situated -- some even think it is right next to the Raleigh and are surprised when they discover it is right on the border with South Carolina. Charlotte has grown a great deal in the past decade and is very similar to other upcoming cities in the South such as Nashville. None of them are Atlanta, thank God!

When I think of Charlotte, NC I think of NASCAR, Billy Graham, and an airport where I sometimes change planes.

If people don't know where charlotte is geographically, it is due to peoples lack of any common knowledge, and the fading importance of geography in our schools. As the 2nd largest city in the southeast, if you include texas as a southwest state, and take into account the latest census that places us ahead of memphis and baltimore.

For the vast majority of people I know, Charlotte, NC is just a mid-sized city located somewhere in NC between Atlanta and Washington, D.C. Many don't even seem to know exactly where in NC it is geographically situated -- some even think it is right next to the Raleigh and are surprised when they discover it is right on the border with South Carolina.

Some people think Charlotte is in South Carolina.

If people don't know where charlotte is geographically, it is due to peoples lack of any common knowledge, and the fading importance of geography in our schools. As the 2nd largest city in the southeast, if you include texas as a southwest state, and take into account the latest census that places us ahead of memphis and baltimore.

This is assuming you are also excluding Orlando, Tampa, and Miami CSA's from being in the general Southeastern area as well. But nevertheless, I agree with your point. People should have a general idea of where large metro's are. But that's assuming a lot of Americans.

This is assuming you are also excluding Orlando, Tampa, and Miami CSA's from being in the general Southeastern area as well. But nevertheless, I agree with your point. People should have a general idea of where large metro's are. But that's assuming a lot of Americans.

I SAID CITY. NOT METRO btw.

It doesn't surprise me, actually. People, not all obviously, tend to know their general surroundings more than every corner of the country. I would doubt many intelligent North Carolinians could immediately place Portland, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Fresno, Oaklahoma City, or plenty of other cities we know the names of on a map but that aren't places we've either been. You can't know everything. I think I could place most cities in the southeast and probably northeast easily, but don't know exactly where every city in the US is.

It doesn't surprise me, actually. People, not all obviously, tend to know their general surroundings more than every corner of the country. I would doubt many intelligent North Carolinians could immediately place Portland, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Fresno, Oaklahoma City, or plenty of other cities we know the names of on a map but that aren't places we've either been. You can't know everything. I think I could place most cities in the southeast and probably northeast easily, but don't know exactly where every city in the US is.

You are being generous.

I could easily point out all of those cities on a map. However I grew up with a 6 ft. US and World Map above my bed as a kid. Its just hard for me to believe that not everyone can do that. Without looking at a map Cleveland Is on the Eastern part of lake eerie closest to the Ohio PA border. Portland is in extreme northwest oregon. Its 20 miles from the pacific ocean and its a river away from its neighboring state, the city of vancouver, washington. Minneapolis is a bit southeast of the center of Minnesota, right near the border of wisconsin and Minnesota . Fresno is a tad bit harder, but I believe it is halfway between the mountains and the coast, and half way between LA and San Fran (maybe a little closer to San Fran). OKC is smack in the middle of Oklahoma.

Edited by Guest

I could easily point out all of those cities on a map. However I grew up with a 6 ft. US and World Map above my bed as a kid. Its just hard for me to believe that not everyone can do that. Without looking at a map Cleveland Is on the Eastern part of lake eerie closest to the Ohio PA border. Portland is in extreme northwest oregon. Its 20 miles from the pacific ocean and its a river away from its neighboring state, the city of vancouver, washington. Minneapolis is a bit southeast of the center of Minnesota, right near the border of wisconsin and Minnesota . Fresno is a tad bit harder, but I believe it is halfway between the mountains and the coast, and half way between LA and San Fran (maybe a little closer to San Fran). OKC is smack in the middle of Oklahoma.

We are folks that care about this stuff though. I think I could point out most US cities as well, but not everyone thinks geography is the most important thing for them to learn. I still think most people could point out cities and areas within a couple of states of where they live.

I had a roommate a while ago who was an Economics teacher in high school. At the beginning of the school year he passed out a test to see how much general knowledge his students had. This test was not based on Economics knowledge, more broad common sense type things. Anyhow one of the parts of the test was a map of the USA. He had them write in the names of bordering states and some major cities. He showed me the results. I was amazed how many students could not properly name the states bordering there own state let alone locate a city. I don't know if geography is just not being taught or if people just don't care.

I had a roommate a while ago who was an Economics teacher in high school. At the beginning of the school year he passed out a test to see how much general knowledge his students had. This test was not based on Economics knowledge, more broad common sense type things. Anyhow one of the parts of the test was a map of the USA. He had them write in the names of bordering states and some major cities. He showed me the results. I was amazed how many students could not properly name the states bordering there own state let alone locate a city. I don't know if geography is just not being taught or if people just don't care.

Thats awful, I would hope it'd be common knowledge, but apparently not, I just can't imagine it. One of the UP posters has equally eye opening story, I'll see if I can get him to tell it.

As a Yankee :)

My view if Charlotte is mainly as the banking center it is. I also know it as a bastion of NASCAR and preachers and megachurches, not not as much as say Houston. I also think of Charotte as 2nd tier for the South. whilt it may be the 2nd largest "city" city borders mean little in a citys real size. I think of Atlanta and Miami then I think of Tampa-St Pete, Nortfolk, Orlando, Chartlotte, Menphis and Nashville at around the same level. yeah I know the range in size and importance in different areas, but these are the 2nd tier cities. Charlotte likely has the best chance of becoming a big deal, but with banking in trouble, and Wachovia up in the air, we will have to wait and see.

I have no real urge to go to Charlotte, and if offered a job there tomorrow not sure I would take it. But I do have 2 friends that lived there for a while and loved it. so I know its not a bad place, i just am not a fan of southern style and the slow pace. I like Miami however.

these are just my opinions and impressions.

Last night on a t-shirt in a store window in Asheville:

"Asheville - at least it's not Charlotte."

So of course we smashed the store window and burned the place to the ground.

(No actually we didn't do that.)

haha. seems unnecessary for them to go there though, just about everyone ADORES Asheville. thats like apples to watermelons anyway.

admit it, most people here would love a "Charlotte - at least it's not Atlanta" shirt!

/likes Atlanta quite a lot too