IN PROGRESS: Blue Cross Headquarters

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen any other media reports on a start up date but this is encouraging. It will be good to have at least one construction crane up in downtown for the next 2 years.

Are there any other projects about to break ground in the next few months?

I suspect Hampton Inn at St. Francis Chapel will need some sort of crane, and Sierra Suites/Hotel Sierra on Washington Street should be going vertical in the spring, after demo and site prep is complete. Also, I imagine the Pez Dispenser parking garage on Weybosset will need a crane.

This could turn out to be a very busy crane season for Providence. The renaissance continues! Not bad at all for a recession. But it is an election year.

I am changing the topic but is there a rule that if say a company wanted to move to Providence and build a new headquarters like BCBS is doing but needed three time the space and wanted to build something 500 ft tall would the existing zoning allow that?

Or putting it another way, is there an unwritten understanding that nothing can be taller than the existing tallest downtown?

This could turn out to be a very busy crane season for Providence. The renaissance continues! Not bad at all for a recession. But it is an election year.

I am changing the topic but is there a rule that if say a company wanted to move to Providence and build a new headquarters like BCBS is doing but needed three time the space and wanted to build something 500 ft tall would the existing zoning allow that?

Or putting it another way, is there an unwritten understanding that nothing can be taller than the existing tallest downtown?

I walked by yesterday afternoon, there was no traffic diversion yet, but there were signs up covered in black plastic indicating that a diversion was coming soon. This morning, looking from Exchange Terrace I could see some sort of crane there lifting something, I don't know what. There were some hard hats walking around on the pad yesterday afternoon as well.

It sounds as if things are happening then. What was the estimated completion date for this project? I thought I read where this project would go veritical quickly since they were building on an established pad.

Has anyone noticed from the other city UP blogs that BS in other states are also building new headquarters? They are getting into the development business.

It doesn't really matter at this point but I wanna go on the record and say that though I'm happy that we will be adding another building to our diverse skyline, I'm not exactly thrilled about it's appearance. The first two towers didn't turn out looking nearly as nice as they originally appeared and I'm afraid that this building is kinda boring. Either way, I'm glad it's being built. This will add even more vitality and momentum to this quickly-filling part of town.

Archived