New NC Plate

CarolinaDaydreamin

All current NC license plates are going to be replaced. The revamped design is the current plate with red numbers and letters rather than blue numbers and letters. I think this was a big mistake. There could be so many better designs than that old, tired "first in flight" design with a new color. What do y'all think.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/hot_topics/downlo...late_recall.pdf

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't this design initiated in like '84?? Can we puh-leaze get a fresh design for our plates?? I can't believe my tax dollars are going to keep the outdated 'North Carolina' and 'First in Flight' typeface and we're just changing colors on the license number. I guess we'll be lucky to get a new design by' 2024. :angry:

O my gosh, I thought we were going to get something special here. The best they can do is change the color of the letters and numbers. How pathetic. The "First in Flight" design is definitely outdated. We need a totally new design. South Carolina has had like 3 different designs in the past 10 years. Why can't we be like our southern neighbor?

They have been doing this sort of thing in FL for quite some time. Every five years (from the date that you get a new plate), everyone is issued a new plate, complete with "new design" and even a new plate number. They did the same design for at least fifteen years, just changing up the color of the plate numbers and the background design (watermark shaped like the state), switching between orange and green. For the past ten years, they changed the design for the first five to something that looked too similar to the GA peach design, and eventually ended up with the tacky current design with the state's website on the plate :sick: .

I wouldn't think that red lettering would stand up very well to the sun and typical road grime, I know for a fact that orange didn't. I'm also sort of disappointed that they weren't willing to try something different, maybe a mountains-to-sea type theme could have been unique. I also like the idea of the solid backgrounds too, but it wouldn't be as interesting I guess. At least there is always the option to get a specialized plate like the AT and Blue Ridge plates that have some nice color to them.

I've seen a few as well already. They look exactly like Massachusetts plates. The red characters are very hard to read on the white background from a distance. I'm guessing they didn't consult with any law enforcement agencies before they made this decision. Thank God I have a Blue Ridge plate.

I agree, they look completely like the Mass. plates. I can't believe we're still using this design, I'm not saying it's not a nice design but it's time to put it to bed. We should all fuss to our legislators, I can't believe they've authorized spending millions on this project and this is the best they could do??

I haven't seen the new plates yet but I went to school for 2 years in Boston, and the other day I saw a Mass. plate here in NY. I now have figured out (I think) what NC was trying to accomplish.

First let me say that I too really wanted NC to come up with a great looking redesign years ago. It's a challenge however, because "First in Flight" is undeniably among the greatest monikers. The typeface for "NorthCarolina" is straightforward but also has a modern twist to it. The City of Atlanta's 2006 campaign/logo for tourism uses a very similar font. But I'm tired of looking at the design after 25 years as most of you are also.

I think NC is more focused on making its signage and logos look "official" rather than just visually appealing. So without having seen the new plates, I'll hope that they succeeded.

I would opt for one of the special interest plates, but they seem to always screw up at least one element of those also. I would love the coastal one, but the font used there is awful. Sadly the NASCAR plates are the most interesting to me, though I wouldn't ever get one. No offense, just not a fan of that sport.

Has anyone seen the smaller all black plates that Delaware has? They are really cool: just wide enough to reach the screw holes, all black, white letters and nothing else. Kinda European looking. I would love one of those.

^

The Delaware plates look cool I think; it's one of the pre-1962 designs used in the state, brought back as a specialty plate (1956 is when the sizes and dimensions were standardized for all states).

NC could do that - post-10268-1177689309_thumb.jpg - I don't like this old silver on maroon design, but the fonts are nice, no other state uses them, and something more retro would be distinctive. I don't think simple designs need to be ugly - I think I'd be in the minority of opinion, but I remember the gold-on-navy design California used for about 15 years, and it was bold, unique, good colors, and easy to read. Some of the graphic-designed plates most states now use remind me too much of airbrush t-shirts.

post-10268-1177689309_thumb.jpg

They have succeeded in making a tired and bland license plate even more bland - by making ALL the lettering the same color. After 25 years, this was the only change they could make?! Our ugly tags are one reason I got a Blue Ridge Parkway plate last year. The other (and main) reason was to help support my favorite road!

Archived