Triad Business Notes

krazeeboi

Something big is brewing on the megasite and maybe something Japanese.   The Biz Journal is reporting this:

""he Randolph Board of County Commissioners has scheduled a public hearing on Monday, Dec. 6, to discuss economic incentives.  The megasite is jointly owned by Randolph County and the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite Foundation.  As of now, no known incentives considerations are on the agendas of the Greensboro City Council or Guilford Board of County Commissioners. Greensboro City Council is holding a special meeting Monday, Nov. 29, at 9 a.m. and will immediately go into closed session to discuss a non-disclosed matter.  Offering incentives across jurisdictional lines is not unprecedented here.""

Randolph County sets public hearing on Greensboro-Randolph Megasite economic incentives - Triad Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

I know there has been dashed hopes before but I do believe this could be IT this time. 

""Greensboro is providing water and sewer service to the megasite. Any rate discount as an incentive would require public action.""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

I do believe this company Honda Jet based in Greensboro will be very helpful in luring Toyota and Panasonic to the Greensboro Megasite.   Their great experience in the Triad will be helpful and informative for this joint venture if it comes to the Megasite

About Us | Hondajet

and so will this plant in Alamance County

and of course all the Japanese plants and offices in NC and I forgot about Konica is in Triad too

https://japan.ncsu.edu/whatwedo/japanese-businesses-in-north-carolina/

Honda is one of the largest manufacturers in Japan so their success in the area is very important.

I think December will be very exciting for the Triad as  your time has come!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Something big is brewing on the megasite and maybe something Japanese.   The Biz Journal is reporting this:

""he Randolph Board of County Commissioners has scheduled a public hearing on Monday, Dec. 6, to discuss economic incentives.  The megasite is jointly owned by Randolph County and the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite Foundation.  As of now, no known incentives considerations are on the agendas of the Greensboro City Council or Guilford Board of County Commissioners. Greensboro City Council is holding a special meeting Monday, Nov. 29, at 9 a.m. and will immediately go into closed session to discuss a non-disclosed matter.  Offering incentives across jurisdictional lines is not unprecedented here.""

Randolph County sets public hearing on Greensboro-Randolph Megasite economic incentives - Triad Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

I know there has been dashed hopes before but I do believe this could be IT this time. 

""Greensboro is providing water and sewer service to the megasite. Any rate discount as an incentive would require public action.""

I agree. Typically when there have been rumors for the site, other states were still considered frontrunners. In this case Greensboro is the frontrunner and there are reports the Greensboro area has already been selected, just not publicly.

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I do believe this company Honda Jet based in Greensboro will be very helpful in luring Toyota and Panasonic to the Greensboro Megasite.   Their great experience in the Triad will be helpful and informative for this joint venture if it comes to the Megasite

About Us | Hondajet

and so will this plant in Alamance County

and of course all the Japanese plants and offices in NC and I forgot about Konica is in Triad too

https://japan.ncsu.edu/whatwedo/japanese-businesses-in-north-carolina/

Honda is one of the largest manufacturers in Japan so their success in the area is very important.

I think December will be very exciting for the Triad as  your time has come!

Industry forms in clusters, so I'm sure this will not be the last Japanese company bringing Industry to the Triad and state. I have a feeling the Greensboro-Randolph megasite will eventually get an automobile assembly plant as well based on how the site description is being worded. It is being called a Toyota "campus" which means something else other than the battery plant is going on that site and there is enough acres for the two. If I were Greensboro and Guilford County leaders I would be working on assembling land for other future opportunities for other companies looking for large production sites.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

Industry forms in clusters, so I'm sure this will not be the last Japanese company bringing Industry to the Triad and state. I have a feeling the Greensboro-Randolph megasite will eventually get an automobile assembly plant as well based on how the site description is being worded. It is being called a Toyota "campus" which means something else other than the battery plant is going on that site and there is enough acres for the two. If I were Greensboro and Guilford County leaders I would be working on assembling land for other future opportunities for other companies looking for large production sites.

Tell me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t Thomas Built Buses contribute to Toyota maybe coming to the area as well as Honda would? TBB controls a little over 40% of the bus population in the states and is located in the triad area and the government in investing a lot of money to go towards electric school buses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GSOstrong said:

Tell me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t Thomas Built Buses contribute to Toyota maybe coming to the area as well as Honda would? TBB controls a little over 40% of the bus population in the states and is located in the triad area and the government in investing a lot of money to go towards electric school buses

Yes all the major assembly plants in the area and Thomas Built Buses would be one of them.   Freightliner makes heavy duty trucks in Rowan and Gaston Counties.  Plus Arrival a British maker of small electric delivery trucks in starting up production in 2 plants in the Charlotte area and their North American HQ is in Charlotte too.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes all the major assembly plants in the area and Thomas Built Buses would be one of them.   Freightliner makes heavy duty trucks in Rowan and Gaston Counties.  Plus Arrival a British maker of small electric delivery trucks in starting up production in 2 plants in the Charlotte area and their North American HQ is in Charlotte too.  

Not to mention Volvo Trucks of North America and Mack Trucks world headquarters are based in Greensboro.

• Like 4

Yes, Freightliner and TBB are both own by the same company, parent company is Daimler located in Germany

• Like 1

In other business news sounds like HondaJet could be expanding.   From Business NC morning email:

""Big aircraft project headed to Greensboro?
(Associated Press)
State lawmakers in Raleigh approved changes to the new state budget that includes $107 million for Piedmont Triad International Airport improvements should an unnamed airplane manufacturer expand at the Guilford County site. The so-called “Project Thunderbird” cites incentives including $15M for site work, $35M for roadwork and $57M for airplane hangars. The money hinges on new jobs that would pay $60,000 annually. ""

• Like 4

In other business news sounds like HondaJet could be expanding.   From Business NC morning email:
""Big aircraft project headed to Greensboro?
(Associated Press)
State lawmakers in Raleigh approved changes to the new state budget that includes $107 million for Piedmont Triad International Airport improvements should an unnamed airplane manufacturer expand at the Guilford County site. The so-called “Project Thunderbird” cites incentives including $15M for site work, $35M for roadwork and $57M for airplane hangars. The money hinges on new jobs that would pay $60,000 annually. ""

I was wondering what was going on, they have cleared a lot of land by the airport and seem to be doing a lot of prep for whatever’s coming to that area. I was assuming it would be some sort of airport expansion but looks like it’s Honda which is still great news

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

1,750 job! This would be a pretty big operation and would be the second airplane manufacturer at PTI. The first being Honda Aircraft Company (HondaJet) and on the heels of the Toyota news!

https://greensboro.com/business/local/game-changer-could-bring-at-least-1-750-jobs-to-piedmont-triad-international-airport/article_3518db68-8332-55a0-bf64-be34a44fbeed.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

1,750 job! This would be a pretty big operation and would be the second airplane manufacturer at PTI. The first being Honda Aircraft Company (HondaJet) and on the heels of the Toyota news!
https://greensboro.com/business/local/game-changer-could-bring-at-least-1-750-jobs-to-piedmont-triad-international-airport/article_3518db68-8332-55a0-bf64-be34a44fbeed.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

1,750 jobs is only for the Toyota plant, for the airport expansion it doesn’t specify exactly how many jobs will be created. Only said “over a thousand”

1 hour ago, GSOstrong said:

1,750 jobs is only for the Toyota plant, for the airport expansion it doesn’t specify exactly how many jobs will be created. Only said “over a thousand”

No, this is also 1750 jobs per the story (and headline) cited.

That's 3500 good jobs between two employees coming soon. Yuge!

No, this is also 1750 jobs per the story (and headline) cited.
That's 3500 good jobs between two employees coming soon. Yuge!

Understood, the article I seen before didn’t state that but either way it’s a win for the triad community. New jobs, new developments!

• Like 1

From the Triad Biz Journal 

""Rep. Donny Lambeth, R-Forsyth County, co-chairs the conferees for the bill. “I believe there will be an announcement soon,” he told Triad Business Journal on Tuesday.

Soon” could come as early as next Tuesday, following the next scheduled meeting of the Economic Investment Committee of the North Carolina Department of Commerce. The EIC approves all JDIG appropriations.""

Airbus has a plant in Mobile Alabama wonder if this is another US plant for them?   But could be Boeing to do something for to help their Charleston plant which is large but somewhat  hemmed in with surrounding development, their airport and Air Force base. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

From the Triad Biz Journal 

""Rep. Donny Lambeth, R-Forsyth County, co-chairs the conferees for the bill. “I believe there will be an announcement soon,” he told Triad Business Journal on Tuesday.

Soon” could come as early as next Tuesday, following the next scheduled meeting of the Economic Investment Committee of the North Carolina Department of Commerce. The EIC approves all JDIG appropriations.""

Airbus has a plant in Mobile Alabama wonder if this is another US plant for them?   But could be Boeing to do something for to help their Charleston plant which is large but somewhat  hemmed in with surrounding development, their airport and Air Force base. 

Whatever it is, its going to be big based on how state legislators are reacting to this. We didn't see this kind of reaction when HondaJet selected Greensboro for its headquarters and manufacturing facilities. There are a number of big potential fish. Boeing, Lockheed Martin (military jets), Airbus to name a few. Having any one of them would be a game changer for the region.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3