More Hotels!

CanukInAugusta

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want a Ritz in this town!!!! Seriously, someone buy the Bon Aire and turn it into a Swissotel or something!!! Not sure Canuk, a lot of people come here for business I guess and for the futurity and stuff. Plus, not trying to brag, but the Lobster Race in Aiken is a pretty big deal. Hey, what happened to the rubber duck race?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

dang seems like everycity nowadays is having a hotel boom. i know savannah is for sure but its a huge tourist destination, couldnt expect much else. but augusta, macon, and columbus arent anywhere as much based on tourist. i guess the hotel market likes the buisiness prospects : )

• 3 months later...

The COMFORT SUITES is building on property near the Baymont Inn and one of those extended stay weekly spots as well. According to a develper ''The RIVERWATCH PARKWAY is slowly adding warehouse space, hotels, and restaurants''.

I feel sorry for those ppl who will have to drive down riverwatch or washington in 2 yrs. Traffic will be a nightmare, riverwatch is set to go underconstruction, and alexander rd. Riverwatch mall will be built, and maybe st. sebastian will be under construction. Not to mention furrys ferry won't look the same either

Augusta is adding new hotels it seems everyday . Don't we get like 2.5 million a year in visitors. I think the number must be climbing or something. One of the developers did say richmond county doesn't have enough upscale hotels, seems like we are getting alot of upscale and mid-level. If you ride down I-20 from riverwatch to washington rd. It nothing but hotels, and some are still under construction, some have not even started yet. Gordon hwy needs some more new ones. Doug barnard & highway 56 definitely need some since so close to the airport.

It would be terrific if someone would buy the old Bon Air and restore the place as a hotel again. What is the current state of the Hotel Richmond downtown? Is it still an apartment building? Augusta once had a magnificent collection of hotels, but Flagler's railroads to Florida hurt Augusta's tourist business tremendously. I think the Hampton Terrace lasted less than twenty years before it burned to the ground.

• 1 month later...

The new 72 room Hawthorn suites on jimmie dyess. Is moving along nicely.

The Jameson Suites at 1062 Claussen Road. After being closed all summer for a $5 million renovation, the former Amerisuites now boasts new 32-inch televisions, full-size stainless steel refrigerators, granite countertops and Jameson's signature Dreamium bedding.

But what about the hotel thats supposed to be coming to the augusta mall. And the two being built off center west pkwy and washington rd. Also the two or three hotels thats supposed to come with the watermark condos in jan 08. Then the two at the village of riverwatch. 2008 will be another big year for new hotels.

• 6 months later...

The owners of the Holiday Inn on Gordon Highway have filed plans with Richmond County to put up a Fairfield Inn & Suites, a Marriott brand, in the 2-acre parcel in front of the Holiday Inn.

According to the company's plans, the new hotel will have a four-floor tower and 81 rooms.

The Downtown Development Authority of Augusta is preparing paperwork for a bond issue for a parking deck in conjunction with the hotel project on James Brown Boulevard and Reynolds Street.The DDA has done this before -- bonds financed the parking deck next to the Richmond County Board of Education office downtown.

DDA officials say the hotel developer, who is media-shy at the moment, is courting a few name brands and is designing the hotel.

New hotel investment in Augusta

• 2 months later...

I stayed at the Hawthorne Suites on Belair rd. a few weeks ago for work and noticed they were putting up a new hotel behind it. I think the manager said it would be a Best Western (same owners). There is also a new italian restaurant going up next to it which I believe is owned by the hotels.

Also noticed the Sheraton on Stevens Creek is well on its way.

Archived