Highway and Road Construction Updates

GRDadof3

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The road improvements are described as work to “improve 14 bridges, along with concrete joint repairs, asphalt resurfacing, and high-friction surface coating on both directions of I-196 between Market Avenue and US-131.”

you forgot the best part....  "MDOT officials say the project will widen the stretch of highway from two to three lanes to ease traffic congestion and also include a  reconstruction of the Lake Michigan Drive interchange to improve safety "

Just kidding!  :tw_tounge_wink:

15 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

you forgot the best part....  "MDOT officials say the project will widen the stretch of highway from two to three lanes to ease traffic congestion and also include a  reconstruction of the Lake Michigan Drive interchange to improve safety "

Right! And the onramp from Lane going Westbound onto I-196 will be lengthened so that it's not a death trap. Psych! 

16 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Now that was just cruel to those of us who frequent that stretch.  I had about three seconds of hope...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

All lanes all ramps reopening by Nov 9th at the "flip" project except the eastbound 96 to East Beltline bridge (which I notice is not close to ready yet).

https://trib.al/RzLgC5e

Great news!  I wonder if they abandoned the Plymouth bridge reconstruction listed on the project website: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/I-96_I-196_Interchange_Open_House_635592_7.pdf

I drove eastbound 196 to eastbound 96 today.  Lanes are open eastbound (thank goodness) but I noticed something interesting.  It's still the same route to get from EB 196 to EB 96, but there's pavement down to the left of that, which I had assumed was going to be the next 196 EB route.  The updates from MDOT and the media just reference that the 96 to E Beltline exit is left to be done. I'm wondering what's up with this other stretch of road.

Capture.JPG

On 11/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I believe you're right. The whole project goes through Oct 2020 I believe. 

It's just odd that the updates from MDOT and the media indicate that the 96 to E Beltline bridge will be finished next year. No mention of other work on the project in 2020.

12 minutes ago, draftpeppin said:

I drove eastbound 196 to eastbound 96 today.  Lanes are open eastbound (thank goodness) but I noticed something interesting.  It's still the same route to get from EB 196 to EB 96, but there's pavement down to the left of that, which I had assumed was going to be the next 196 EB route.  The updates from MDOT and the media just reference that the 96 to E Beltline exit is left to be done. I'm wondering what's up with this other stretch of road.

Capture.JPG

It's just odd that the updates from MDOT and the media indicate that the 96 to E Beltline bridge will be finished next year. No mention of other work on the project in 2020.

I don't think the media quite understands what's opening this weekend and what still needs to be done. And in their defense, it's an extremely complicated project. 

On your image, where the "2020" is, is the bridge from Eastbound 96 (think if you were coming from Plainfield going Eastbound) to the East Beltline exit. That lane will merge with a new exit ramp from downtown traffic going Eastbound and wants to get off at the Beltline. That "exit ramp" is being used as a temporary throughway for eastbound 196 traffic heading East past the Beltline. 

The new road you see to the left is the new "through" lane for Eastbound traffic going from downtown and heading further on to M-21, Cascade Road, 28th, etc.  It's not finished yet and won't be until next year (it appears). In addition, 196 Westbound between Fuller and this new mixing bowl will be expanded to 3 lanes. I believe too that Eastbound 196 will be rebuilt/repaved between Fuller and this interchange, which is why they're expanding the Plymouth Avenue bridge next year. 

How anyone scienced this out is beyond me. It's rather impressive actually, IMO. It just seems messed up right now. 

I did drive from Plainfield Ave and stayed on 96 Eastbound over the new bridge. It was a pretty interesting view of that area that I've never seen before. And Leonard St onramp is now open as well. Glad to finally see traffic taken off of Leonard Street. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 12:21 PM, draftpeppin said:

iirc, the media was also saying that everything was to be open except for EBL to EB 96, but EBL to WB 96 is still closed. In fact all of the signage heading south on EBL made it very clear EBL to EB 96 is closed, but no mention of EBL to WB 96 being closed at all until you reach the ramp and see the barriers still up.

3 hours ago, tSlater said:

iirc, the media was also saying that everything was to be open except for EBL to EB 96, but EBL to WB 96 is still closed. In fact all of the signage heading south on EBL made it very clear EBL to EB 96 is closed, but no mention of EBL to WB 96 being closed at all until you reach the ramp and see the barriers still up.

Yeah, that is/was supposed to be open. Wonder why it's not yet.

The new Westbound section just as you reach the Beltline is so wide (4 lanes) people weren't even using the far left lane. You could tell because it was still covered in snow and none of the other lanes were. 

Traffic moves way faster through there than it used to. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The new Westbound section just as you reach the Beltline is so wide (4 lanes) people weren't even using the far left lane. You could tell because it was still covered in snow and none of the other lanes were. 

Traffic moves way faster through there than it used to. 

I was able to get into the I-196 lanes from the SB EBL->WB ramp without having to panic. Felt so nice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question about improvements being done to Interstate 196. Is it in the plans for MDOT to widen the Interstate to 3 lanes both ways between Fuller Ave and the new 96/196/EB Interchange? 

Increasingly,  I was wondering why the new(ish) overpass of Fuller Ave over 196  was built with only 4 lanes and not 6 lanes in mind? Seems like a lack over foresight to build a new overpass in that spot without expansion of another lane for each first direction in the plans. 

I know this is the best place to come for questions like this so I appreciate the insight. Happy Holidays to everyone in this community by the way! 

Edited by EastCoaster93
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastCoaster93 said:

Quick question about improvements being done to Interstate 196. Is it in the plans for MDOT to widen the Interstate to 3 lanes both ways between Fuller Ave and the new 96/196/EB Interchange? 

Increasingly,  I was wondering why the new(ish) overpass of Fuller Ave over 196  was built with only 4 lanes and not 6 lanes in mind? Seems like a lack over foresight to build a new overpass in that spot without expansion of another lane for each first direction in the plans. 

I know this is the best place to come for questions like this so I appreciate the insight. Happy Holidays to everyone in this community by the way! 

Yes, 3 lanes each direction, my daughter worked on drawing up the plans :).  There's room for 3 each direction under Fuller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1