Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows if and when anything will rise on the old Thalhimer lot between 6th and 7th on Broad. It's presently being used as a construction staging area for the arts complex.

But, the open space sure does enhance the view of the new Fed CH for anyone looking east!

In fact, Broad east from 5th street is taking shape. As I've said before, that stretch is beginning to look like a boulevard. The Median beautification should extend east from 8th to 14th, and west to The Boulevard -- or at least to Belvidere, IMO. And a couple of small roundabouts with monuments and fountains (thanks, Brick :) ) would help.

• 1 month later...

City Council, according to inRich, may decide Richmond Center Stage's fate tomorrow night.

Whether it's voted up or down there will be disappointment to one or another faction . But, regardless of the outcome, it's not the end of the World.

The proposed performing art center's anticipated presence has gone a long way toward renewing hope in the city's core. The dream of rising above a prevailng provencial status quo has been my personal wish for Richmond since youth. But whatever the outcome, my beloved hometown is in these old bones to stay

We will see. :good:

City Council, according to inRich, may decide Richmond Center Stage's fate tomorrow night.

Whether it's voted up or down there will be disappointment to one or another faction . But, regardless of the outcome, it's not the end of the World.

The proposed performing art center's anticipated presence has gone a long way toward renewing hope in the city's core. The dream of rising above a prevailng provencial status quo has been my personal wish for Richmond since youth. But whatever the outcome, my beloved hometown is in these old bones to stay

We will see. :good:

At last!! It has passed city council by a vote of 6 to 1 with 2 abstentions. The curtain has come down on a burlesque show and at last is about to fly into the grid of a wonderful new stage house at RCS. God knows, everybody has had YEARS to air their differences. It's time to celebrate and move on.

Here's the news story from today's inRich:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...09-11-0163.html

At last!! It has passed city council by a vote of 6 to 1 with 2 abstentions. The curtain has come down on a burlesque show and at last is about to fly into the grid of a wonderful new stage house at RCS. God knows, everybody has had YEARS to air their differences. It's time to celebrate and move on.

Here's the news story from today's inRich:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...09-11-0163.html

More like a couple of weeks burt. The Council first got a hold of this agreement on the 16th of September 2007 and had a short amount of time to digest all the details. It was obvious from watching the proceedings last night, the Council still really didn't understand exactly how this would work. Regardless, the VAPAF forced their hand with the threat that if the plan wasn't approved last night, construction costs would go up. I don't like how VAPAF set such a short time line and how some questions lingered. The people who will be paying for a large sum of this (aka Richmond taxpayers) had no chance whatsoever to go over this and respond to their council representatives. This was not a good example of how an open government should work unfortunately. I want a revitalized Broad St. as much as anyone but it should be the citizens who decide what agreements we enter into and not a well-funded, well-organized group of elite.

VAPAF had a beautifully formulated plan that has been available to the public for months. The Administration dilly-dallied in presenting the city's documents. The foundation shouldn't have to shoulder that blame when it was perfectly logical to expect expeditious action from the Mayor's office after the Foundations timely submissions.

• 1 month later...

Hey, creative! I didn't write the RTD nor the NYTimes article. But don't try to convince anyone that Altria will forsake the Richmond arts scene, because you'd lose. As I said, Richmond will be lucky if it gets a trifle of Altria's NYC funding, but it WILL benefit monitarily from the "re-centralization" in Virginia in one fashion or another.

It's clear that you and your leader are obsessed with hopes of failure for RCS, but think of the other art groups in the city that stand to benefit.

....uh, you mean Stephen Sondheim?

As I've mentioned before, I hope that CenterStage is a roaring success, on budget and delivered on time, and without having soaked the beleagured Richmond taxpayer. As you may have gathered, there is no assurance of any of this; certainly there are no taxpayer safeguards built in to the agreements. What is clear is that Altria is unlikely to step in to save this project, should it be in need of saving.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:20 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BURT, it's unclear as to whether Altria will ultimately contribute in Richmond. In any case, I wouldn't count on substantial funding coming in. From the article (emphasis added):

Jennifer P. Goodale, a former actress who is Altria

• 2 weeks later...
You may find my original works throughout Urban Planet and RCW, BURT.

And if Richmond CenterStage is delivered on time (Sept '09), on budget and without delivering a financial mugging to city residents, you will find me in the audience two years hence, applauding.

With work progressing on Richmond Center Stage, it's gratifying to see progress in Virginia Beach on The Sandler Center for the Performing Arts which premiers tonight with a concert by Itzhak Perlman. The theatres in Richmond and VB are to be state of the art facilities, although Richmond Center Stage, a renovation of a former movie palace, will be larger and have a more urban look than the sleek and modern Sandler in Virginia Beach Town Center.

With work progressing on Richmond Center Stage, it's gratifying to see progress in Virginia Beach on The Sandler Center for the Performing Arts which premiers tonight with a concert by Itzhak Perlman. The theatres in Richmond and VB are to be state of the art facilities, although Richmond Center Stage, a renovation of a former movie palace, will be larger and have a more urban look than the sleek and modern Sandler in Virginia Beach Town Center.

Archived