Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

Hi Burt. I never said I wanted the Richmond Symphony to perform in churches all around Metro Richmond. Putting the Richmond Symphony in churches is totally unacceptable and is a manifestation of the orchestra's poor Executive and Board leadership who should be ashamed.

I also do not want the Carpenter Center boarded up. The Carpenter Center should never have closed until the VAPAF's shovel was in the ground. The Richmond Symphony was held hostage by the VAPAF.

What I would really love to see is a beautiful Symphony Hall for the Richmond Symphony like the one in Nashville. Again, that hall and halls like it around the country are not just thrown together by a bunch of "community leaders" who want to make the street look better. They come about because the community has pride in its orchestra. Those halls are built with the orchestra's needs in mind. Again, it is about starting with the idea that you support the organization first and then build to meet its needs.

The Carpenter Center was not a bad hall five years ago. With a better shell on the stage it would have been fine.

It is really hard at this point to get excited about RichmondCenterStage. Great, the Richmond Symphony has waited all this time for a bigger lobby, expanded bathrooms and an expanded stagehouse that will actually make the hall sound worse. Last I heard the shell will not be state of the art as originally promised. It's just more of the same.

I'm not sure why the VAPAF's original plan is off topic. That is why we are where we are today. It is something everyone would do well to remember, because it would be too bad if such a boondoggle happened again.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm definitely with you on this; that's why I suggested more policing in the area as well as camera survellience. You seldom read in news reports that gun injuries or deaths were perpertrated by individuals carring "unlicensed" weapons. If, indeed, the law against carrying illegal guns were strongly enforced and backed with stiff enforcement, there would be a decline in mayhem.

Are not the Harrison Street club as well as The Cotton Club & Manhattan's Restaurant properties of a former Petersburg mayor and her family?

Sky, you're not alone in desiring a first-class dedicated symphony hall. I have proposed a complete gutting of Blues Armory and the installation of an 1800-seat, state-of-the-art "floating" music hall within it. If it were seriously considered and found to have merit, two aims could be accomplished; the salvation of a historic structure and a home for The Richmond Symphony. Certainly talks are in progress about the Symphony's needs, location and means of funding. Eventually they will be addressed. Meanwhile, a new Carpenter Theatre will once again centralize the orchestra.

It would be a disservice to those who have cried "boondoggle" and "white elephant" from the very beginning if they were not credited with helping to create delays and cost increases. There's plenty of blame to go around, and their contribution should not be ignored. The city forbade the beginning of improvements over a year ago by denying construction permits.

On what do you base your assertion that sound quality will be "worse" in the revamped Carpenter Theatre? Both performers and audiences will enjoy considerably more comfort. Elsewhere in these pages the PPEA report specifically addresses improvements planned by a professional sound engineer.

A multi-purpose facility cannot offer perfection, and while the orchestra shell may not equal those in dedicated halls, steps are being taken to provide special storage space for a larger and more flexible shell backstage at The Carpenter.

I have the greatest respect for musicians and artists of all stripes. Richmond CenterStage is a big step forward in providing venues for them in my opinion.

Burt- A bigger stagehouse without a good shell will make it sound worse because the sound will have more room to get lost without getting out into the hall. The work being done includes electronic enhancement which takes the soul out of the sound. The whole point of live music is that it is not coming through speakers. If you start putting things through speakers you might just as well stay home and listen to a recording because the live experience is diminished.

The people crying boondoggle added to delays and cost overruns? It seems that the big salaries at VAPAF where doing well on their own stringing very little fund-raising along. I wish I could figure out how to be that bad at something and get paid that much to do it. If those of us speaking out had been listened to earlier the whole thing could have been shut down sooner, saving lots of money.

When you have musicians in your orchestra telling you the plans for an Arts Center are a bad idea, and being happy that the hall is not built, you know that there must be big problems.

Don't get me wrong, moving back to the Carpenter Center is the best thing for the orchestra right now, although I think your armory idea is interesting. However, waiting through these long years in the churches just to get back to where you started out is not that exciting, especially since the acoustics will not be that great.

Hi, Sky: Is your info about the enlarged stage/shell from the sound engineering company that will do the job? Electrically enhanced music, especially classical/symphonic, is gross. Agreed. Maybe that can be avoided; maybe not, but it stands to reason that sound experts know a little about stage design and sound emanating therefrom.

And I most assuredly stand by my statement about a FEW of the "boondoggle" set. The strongest vocal critics, sometimes using despicable means, can be "credited" most definitely with a portion of the exasperating delays. I am quite sure you are not one of them. I repeat, there was blame aplenty to go around, including VAPAF's sometimes dogmatic tactics. Criticism of the director's paycheck was certainly valid, as was the Broad Street design of a dedicated music hall. All the bruhaha discouraged many private and business contributors. The city's refusal of construction permits in January of '06 did nothing to speed along the project, either.

When orchestra musicians (I have read elsewhere there was unanimity amongst them) deplore the arts center, they might do well to consider that other professional organizations also have opinions. But perhaps, again, your reference is to the music hall plan only. I agree that it was a poor solution and am glad that is is off the agenda.

When a dedicated hall is finally constructed, wherever it may be (though I would hope in a downtown location), The Richmond Symphony will attract the financial support it deserves as well as recognition above the regional orchestra level.

You are so right, Sky; it has been a long wait. I remember Edgar Schenkman conducting the orchestra's first concert at The Mosque. What an exciting evening that was!

Meanwhile, a rejuvenated Carpenter Theatre will be, once again, the home to Richmond Ballet, Virginia Opera and the excellent Richmond Symphony.

Peace!

Since Richmond CenterStage is the focus, I am posting the event info for the groundbreaking here:

Friday, June 1st '07 beginning at 5:30PM:

Location will be 6th Street between Broad and Grace. Appearances (and undoubtedly, speeches) by Mayor Wilder, Jim Ukrop and First Lady Anne Holton.

Performing will be Richmond Boys Choir; Virginia Opera; Richmond Symphony Youth Orchestra String Quartet; Theatre IV's "Dorothy" from The Wizard of Oz, and Richmond Ballet's Minds in Motion TEAM XXL.

A walk, beginning about 6:15PM, will have the New Orleans style NO BS BRASS BAND leading folks up Broad Street to the largest First Fridays celebration ever.

6:30PM 'til 11:00PM, enjoy the best of Richmond's cultural community on and off Broad between 1st and Belvedere. A stage at Adams and Broad will offer performances by BIO RITMO SALSA MACHINE, the aforementioned NO BS BRASS BAND and RICHMOND SYMPHONY BRASS QUARTET.

The event is sponsored by: Virginia Performing Arts Foundation, the City of Richmond and Venture Richmond.

You might be able to get some parking help from http://www.firstfridaysrichmond.com.

Pray it doesn't rain!

Here are some dining-out suggestions for Groundbreaking/First Friday on June 1st:

They are listed alphabetically.

1. New kid on the block, ANNIEBELL'S CHICKEN AND WAFFLES - 415 North 1st between Marshall and Clay Streets. Open 'til 1AM and also offering jazz that evening. Open every day except Monday. (They'll have gospel singing every-other Sunday beginning June 3rd). tel. 804/649-9464.

2. BAR CODE on Grace between 1st and Foushee -- an alternative life-style restaurant/bar; reasonable prices. Tel. 804/648-2040.

3. CHEZ FOUSHEE on the corner of Grace and Foushee. An elegant room specializing in gourmet lunches. Will be serving dinner as well on Friday, June 1st. Tel. 804/648-3225.

4. COMFORT, everybody's favorite "down home" style eatin'. At the corner of Jefferson and Broad. Tel. 804/780-0004.

5. LIFT, a snazzy coffee, sandwich and pastry shop at 218 West Broad. Tel. 804/344-5438.

6. POPKIN TAVERN, the neat conversion of a furniture store to super bar/restaurant at Jefferson and Broad (diagonally across from COMFORT). Tel. 804/343-1909.

7. TARRANT'S CAFE, another neat conversion -- this one from Drug Store to popular restaurant/bar. Located at the southwest corner of Broad at Foushee. Tel. 804/225-0035.

8. And finally, the elegant 27 (TWENTY SEVEN) on the corner of Adams and Broad. A recent menu posted in a Style Supplement sounds scrumptious. Tel. 804/780-0086.

That's my list; if anyone has others to add, please do so.

Wonder if Jon Beatty's RENAISSANCE at Adams and Broad will be participating in any way on First Friday?

Taking the Stage: Richmond.com reports on the upcoming groundbreaking ceremony

Mayor L. Douglas Wilder, Virginia First Lady Anne Holton and VPAF Chairman Jim Ukrop are scheduled to speak at the groundbreaking.

The new arts complex will sit on the block of East Grace Street, between Sixth and Seventh Streets. The complex will comprise a renovated and expanded Carpenter Center, a new multi-purpose performing space (Rhythm Hall), a 200-seat community playhouse (Libby Gottwald Community Playhouse) and an arts education center.

• 1 month later...

Demolition work is going on inside the Carpenter Theatre. A crane will probably be erected in September to start work on the new stage house and the old Thalhimer building at 7th and Grace.

Everything is still on schedule for a grand opening of the faciluity in September '09.

Demolition work is going on inside the Carpenter Theatre. A crane will probably be erected in September to start work on the new stage house and the old Thalhimer building at 7th and Grace.

Everything is still on schedule for a grand opening of the faciluity in September '09.

Can't say for sure journi, but would assume the filled-up hole in the ground will be the construction site with crane for the new stagehouse of the theatre as well as work on the old Thalhimer bldg at 7th and Grace. But you can be sure there will be some inconveniences to neighbors. As you say, that's progress.

Don't you have parking in the basement of BB?

Can't say for sure journi, but would assume the filled-up hole in the ground will be the construction site with crane for the new stagehouse of the theatre as well as work on the old Thalhimer bldg at 7th and Grace. But you can be sure there will be some inconveniences to neighbors. As you say, that's progress.

Don't you have parking in the basement of BB?

burt, you have good sources. I was going to say this today anyways. The construction trailer arrived last night, big one, so must be putting the offices on site for the time being. The red sprinkler company trucks are on site. I am assuming they are assisting with the demo going on. They have also erected a fence all the way around the site. In conjunction with miller and rhodes, they have fully blocked off 6th street between broad and grace, with fenced and gated entrances, which is allowing them to use the space for stockpiling. Ill see what else the performing arts is up to this afternoon when I get home...

Journi, Ice and all others who are even remotely excited about Richmond Center Stage, I am really pleased to hear that construction equipment is moving onto the scene.

I have been assured by top insiders that opening in fall of 2009 is still very much on schedule and I've been invited to visit the VAPAF office, see the models and have lunch on August 3rd during my short visit to Richmond. You may be sure that I will report back with as much information as I can.

Though Building Permits columns in Sunday editions of The Times Dispatch generally are pretty dated, there was an encouraging item today:

Virginia Center for the Performing Arts, owner; Gilbane Building Co., Inc., contractor. 600 East Grace Street; demolition of stage house, $3.5 million.

Though Building Permits columns in Sunday editions of The Times Dispatch generally are pretty dated, there was an encouraging item today:

Virginia Center for the Performing Arts, owner; Gilbane Building Co., Inc., contractor. 600 East Grace Street; demolition of stage house, $3.5 million.

Archived