3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Gateway West Flats were completed yesterday according to the construction webcam.

Anyone been by here recently or know of anyone looking to move here?

I'm curious as to how street level feels in person.

It looks great and fills out the corner well.  I'll try and snag a pic on the way home today.  I'm happy with the end result.

Gateway West Flats were completed yesterday according to the construction webcam.

My friend took at look at them, said they were REALLY nice. A little pricey (not including the free months theyre giving away right now) given the location, but still very nice. Refresh my memory, is there any retail going in here??

Edited by Jayvee

The back side facing frazier park is not quite done but the leasing center is already open. Overall, I like it. The stick built apartments are pretty run of the mill-looking but the street level feels higher quality. I only wish that they had used the great rounded corner space for retail rather than leasing. There are a couple of retail spaces on 4th and I think there may be one on the other side. 

My friend took at look at them, said they were REALLY nice. A little pricey (not including the free months theyre giving away right now) given the location, but still very nice. Refresh my memory, is there any retail going in here??

I live 2 blocks away. I will update if anything changes, but right now it does not look like any retail is going in.  It is still early though, as they were just putting the last pieces of exterior paneling/stucco/whatever on the south side as of Wednesday.  The lobby looks finished, but the other ground floor space does not.

They seem to be doing some related road work on West 4th related to this project. Is it too much to dream they are making a median and cutting lanes down to 2? I could be wrong and it is just some utility type work tied to Gateway West.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/epm/Projects/Transportation/Roads/Pages/J%20and%20W%204th%20St%20Ext%20Tuckaseegee.aspx 

• Reducing the number of travel lanes on Fourth Street from four lanes to two (from Victoria Avenue to Summit Avenue) while adding medians, pedestrian refuges and on-street parking within the existing roadway width.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/epm/Projects/Transportation/Roads/Pages/J%20and%20W%204th%20St%20Ext%20Tuckaseegee.aspx 

• Reducing the number of travel lanes on Fourth Street from four lanes to two (from Victoria Avenue to Summit Avenue) while adding medians, pedestrian refuges and on-street parking within the existing roadway width.

Broken link, but thats awesome!! That needed to happen IMO

• 2 weeks later...

The Mint Apartments groundbreaking ceremony set for this Friday

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Spectrum Properties and Balfour Beatty Construction are holding a groundbreaking ceremony for The Mint Apartments, a seven-story, 177-unit luxury apartment complex at the corner of West Trade and South Graham Streets, this Friday, March 14 from 11 a.m. until noon. Media, dignitaries and others can park in the Preferred Parking lot at the corner of 4th and Graham Streets. There will be no parking on site, and the ceremony will be held rain or shine.

The new luxury apartment complex is being built on a 1.4-acre site on the same block of West Trade where a branch of the U.S. Mint was located until 1933. It will back up to Uptown Charlotte’s new BB&T Ballpark. According to Spectrum President Steve McClure, “Unlike the modern look of the high-rise residences around it, The Mint will offer a classic, timeless feel. At the same time, it will offer tenants the most modern amenities, including a two-floor parking deck, sky terrace, pool, fitness center and pet elevator.” McClure said The Mint also plans to offer personal concierge service to help busy residents with dry cleaning, reservations and car services.

For more information about this Friday’s groundbreaking ceremony, contact David Jewell.

It just now occurred to me that The Mint is a confusing name because it is not on Mint Street.  Eventually that is going to trip some people up.  

It is also funny how the whole strategy for it was to undercut the apartment towers with lower pricing by being a mid-rise stick-built project, possibly targeting J&W Students, but they are calling it a luxury apartment [simplex].  I guess luxury is one of those words that is free to use to make something seem fancier than it is.   

It just now occurred to me that The Mint is a confusing name because it is not on Mint Street.  Eventually that is going to trip some people up.  

It is also funny how the whole strategy for it was to undercut the apartment towers with lower pricing by being a mid-rise stick-built project, possibly targeting J&W Students, but they are calling it a luxury apartment [simplex].  I guess luxury is one of those words that is free to use to make something seem fancier than it is.   

I lump words like "luxury" in with words like "organic" and "all-natural".  

I'm going to develop "green apartments" someday, then do nothing energy efficient and literally paint them green

Honestly as far as marketing departments are concerned, anything that keeps someone warm and dry should be a luxury.

Edited by Guest

They don't even own the land, and it was only first reported this quarter as an exploration.   Also, I assume there is risk with Skyhouse and The Mint starting now, and CK not finished and leased to test the current market. 

Not to mention Woodfield and Gateway West. I think its unlikely this will happen, along with the proposed apartment building at College and 6th. They could both become more feasible if they became mixed-use rather than straight apartments.

Edited by Jayvee

The millennial generation might be big and in their urban-partying years :alc: and averse to mortgages for now, but eventually they will start pairing up and start baby-making  :wub:  :wub: .  The apartment boom is a demographic trend that will not last forever.   The only hope is that a majority of those will continue to want to live in an urban setting and stay in town.  

Obviously there are new people moving in, but these articles on absorption are starting to question whether there is enough.  

I have no idea personally, but obviously let's hope that they stay rational with this development cycling so we don't get hit hard from being poorly timed with the market. 

The millennial generation might be big and in their urban-partying years :alc: and averse to mortgages for now, but eventually they will start pairing up and start baby-making  :wub:  :wub: .  The apartment boom is a demographic trend that will not last forever.   The only hope is that a majority of those will continue to want to live in an urban setting and stay in town.  

Obviously there are new people moving in, but these articles on absorption are starting to question whether there is enough.  

I have no idea personally, but obviously let's hope that they stay rational with this development cycling so we don't get hit hard from being poorly timed with the market. 

Well there always be 20-something young professionals that are looking to party and be averse to mortgages, as you said. I think Charlotte will continue to grow again and that vacancy % still seems really low. But yes have to be VERY careful as to not over build (see Condos in Charlotte & the Vue, I know its not as black & white as that but still....). We need office space, not apartments uptown it seems. Lets turn that building at 6th & College into an office tower :)

Edited by Jayvee