Housing Prices

Jenkins

there might be vacant condos, but how expensive are they? my guess is more than the $400-800k that we have here (and do we know exactly how many units are going to be above the $500k mark?).

you've been trying to say that, but you've been doing it in a very wordy and condescending manner.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh boy, why such an angry elf?. By the periphary I meant areas like Sowa Somerville Cambridge Everett Medford Watertown...etc.

Trust me prices run the gamit. The one thing they have in common is being overpriced in relation to salaries in the area. These condos are definitely not a low cost alternative.

Its human nature to experience levels of discomfort when others disagree with you. I don't see how Pete is out of line with the information he presented or anyone else for that matter-- He's just not giving up on his point and therefore differs in opinion.

Because every time you poke up your little head people get pissed off. Ever think maybe it had something to do with you?

Its human nature to experience levels of discomfort when others disagree with you. I don't see how Pete is out of line with the information he presented or anyone else for that matter-- He's just not giving up on his point and that brings us back to the "discomfort" experience when others with you disagree.

it's not the level of discomfort we get with what he says. i understand what he's saying. if you read past posts, he's said things in very condescending manner rather than just explain things... and then he starts using economist terms that not everyone understands because not everyone is an economist. and tehn he starts telling people who are in the business of real estate or people who are valid potential buyers of the new condos that there's no market.

when it comes to knowing what the market is for real estate, i'd say yes.

i'm not saying you're being condescending now, but you have been in teh past. talking down to people is not a way to get people to like you.

you make it sound like this has been done before in providence, but it hasn't. there's nothing for people like divot here right now. waterplace and westin will be the first.

I'd say its more or less safe to say he works for Fidelity and knows of downtown because of the temp Fidelity office - while his future office campus will be outside of providence he's looking/ considering downtown providence 08. Whatever the case - I think you'll enjoy downtown providence.

do the people not exist because the condos aren't here? that could be the issue. did you ever stop and think that once these condos are here, people who can afford them will move to providence? comparing the housing situation in boston and miami to that of providence is apples and oranges. boston and miami both have a ton of these types of housing already. and bringing in boston suburbs is not a comparison to providence, regardless of whether or not they're the same price. people buy homes/condos for reasons other than the price, such as they're located in a place they would want to live. i'd like to think that people who would want to live in the downtown area of a major city would not want to live in a suburb, like everett.

there's already fidelity people moving from boston to providence. there's whatever divot works for and that other guy who posted about the commute to boston (which might be divot). and then there's those people who want to live in a city's downtown, but can't afford to in boston or cambridge, leaving providence with an easy commute to boston.

Having lived in Boston before moving to Providence (to work in Connecticut of all things!), the issue of affordability is relative for me. I traded my South End condo for a comparably sized condo on the East Side that cost me 30% less. However, my property taxes went up 120% (with the homestead tax exemption) and I needed to buy a car (outrageous insurance cost and ridiculous excise tax), and my commute is 40 minutes longer each way. In the end, my cost of living expenses really didn't change. Even so, I love living in Providence and actually prefer it to Boston on many levels. Providence shouldn't sell itself short. It's more than just "an easy commute to Boston." However, in the absence of many local employment opportunities that can attract $400K+ homeowners, we're lucky that the commuter option exists (to Boston, CT, or wherever).

Archived