Norfolk Nightlife

soloextreme

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I checked out club seven last night aswell. It is a pretty decent place, drinks are about a dollar more than Baxters. They should have done something better with the ceilings though, everything is real nice looking and then you have the standard white tile drop down ceiling. (in the basement atleast). I was happy to see the line down to Time... Time had no cover to try and draw people in but I don't believe it was working. Time has always sucked anyway.

Yeah, if any club is gonna be hurt by Sevens it'll be Time, not Premiere. That said, it's not that bad. I have a friend who throws a night down there on Thursdays now and they're actually starting to get a decent crowd from what I hear. Mondays are their big nights though. Don't ask me why but there is always a long line outside on Mondays (or maybe it's Tuesday I'm thinking of :unsure:). I think it's college night or something like that and a lot of the kids from TCC go.

Yeah, if any club is gonna be hurt by Sevens it'll be Time, not Premiere. That said, it's not that bad. I have a friend who throws a night down there on Thursdays now and they're actually starting to get a decent crowd from what I hear. Mondays are their big nights though. Don't ask me why but there is always a long line outside on Mondays (or maybe it's Tuesday I'm thinking of :unsure: ). I think it's college night or something like that and a lot of the kids from TCC go.

• 2 weeks later...

$50 Million Lawsuit Filed Over Granby Theater Shooting

Patricia Holmes is the mother of the man who was shot ten times at the hip-hop event at the club in March. Thomas Holmes, the victim, has been in a coma ever since. The family is now suing seven people including the man charged with pulling the trigger. They're also suing the owner of the Granby Theater and five of his employees.

Well, that's no big surprise. $50,000,000 is a nice round number.

Has there been any reported information as to why the shooter shot the victim? Was it just a random thing, or was he looking for this guy? If he was looking for him, was there a reason?

I feel for the mother and the family of the victim, but this could happen to you in McDonald's or the Regal Cinema or while out taking a walk if you are unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sad situation all around.

Well, he had been charged with murder before (ended up pleading to accessory), so yeah that says a lot. I'm sure the guy who shot him knew him, these things are very rarely random acts.

She'll likely win as well, though certainly not $50M. It is a shame that the U.S justice system has become so perverted.

I sure as hell hope not. Even Bobby Wright cannot afford that type of money. This will bankrupt him and a lot of good people. I feel for her and the pain she's suffering but this woman needs to do some soul searching. No one is responsible for the life her son chose to lead but her son. No one is responsible for his coma but the shooter. To wrap all these innocent people up in her quest for revenge is an injustice in and of itself.

Unfortunately, successful people will always be a target for lawsuits, as is the case with Bobby Wright. I'm sure he anticipated it when this all went down. Thomas Holmes is a criminal (you can pull up his criminal history on the state police website), and I'd put money on it that this was an existing "beef" that he brought into that establishment. The criminal trial against Joseph Reid is in about a week and a half, so we should find out then. There is no law requiring that everyone be patted down or wanded (and I would think it embarassing to that culture that it's considered necessary), so I don't see this lawsuit going anywhere especially considering that they had five times the security of a normal night including off-duty police officers. Negligence is not even a question. The security staff (not even the police) not only chased the shooter out of the club and down Granby and apprehended him but also performed CPR until emergency personnel arrived or he probably wouldn't be alive!

If I were Bobby, I'd file a countersuit on Monday morning for legal fees, and I'd be willing to bet this all goes away. At the first press conference (held only to see if contact would be made to pay them off before a suit was filed - I was there, trust me), a girl was there with a child that was presumably his to garner sympathy, but not much mention was made about the child not having his last name. I'm willing to bet that this girl just recently stepped forward when she heard about a lawsuit and thought she could collect or she left his name off the birth certificate to get more child support (common in the ghetto from what I hear). It's amazing how people want everything for free and want to blame others for their problems. I'm interested to see if he was paying for this child or if he was involved in his life at all before this occured (although I do feel for the child regardless), but I'm sure it will be left out of the newspaper articles. The Virginia Pilot always prints either completely false statements or incomplete truths, and the news stations around here are a joke.

I was also amazed to see them skirt the question at the first press conference that was asked by one reporter about where he worked and where he graduated from school, because the answers probably didn't exist. They said he had some "bumps and bruises" in his life, but I don't consider a murder charge that he plead out of a bump nor a bruise. That's pretty darn serious, and possibly a reason why this all went down.

I do feel for this guy's family, but no one else should suffer because of his involvement in criminal activities that result in his wounding. If his parents really wanted him to succeed in life, they should have taught him right from wrong and gotten him involved in school activities and such from a young age to prevent his life of crime. It's just another criminal off the street as far as I'm concerned. Maybe that's harsh, but it's TRUE.

I don't see how having five times the normal security as well as metal detectors and wands can possibly be seen as negligence, but I'm no lawyer. Yes obviously the guy got through so the security may have either missed him or he could have stashed the weapon in the club beforehand as it is usually open during the daytime for showings, etc. There was some speculation that he may have come in with the celebrities that were there that night, and in that case the promoters would have walked them through security.

Again, though metal detectors are not required, nor are they used on any other nights, so I would think they woul be seen as an additional form of security that the theater CHOSE to use for more protection. If the government wants to require that all nightclubs use metal detectors or all nightclubs that play hip hop or all clubs that cater to thugs, then so be it, but there needs to be a law in place before that can be enforced as negligence I would think. Regardless, I guess we'll see what the jury says. Luckily, Bobby will almost certainly have a chance to appeal and if I were him I'd tie it up in the courts for the next 20 years no matter the legal cost. I'm a pretty spiteful person though as far as people like that go.

Regardless, I guess we'll see what the jury says. Luckily, Bobby will almost certainly have a chance to appeal and if I were him I'd tie it up in the courts for the next 20 years no matter the legal cost. I'm a pretty spiteful person though as far as people like that go.

Archived