Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

9 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

So what is it even in reference to???

GVMC study results released and no surprise the largest "impact" high priority projects being a direct I-96 access route and bringing back a downtown craptle shuttle (which was already announced) https://www.gvmc.org/airport-access-study

9 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

GVMC study results released and no surprise the largest "impact" high priority projects being a direct I-96 access route and bringing back a downtown craptle shuttle (which was already announced) https://www.gvmc.org/airport-access-study

Oh, a shuttle service. It's needed, but not nearly as exciting as I was hoping for when I saw a word I didn't recognize.

18 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

you got it!

39 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Forgive me, what is a craptle??

you are forgiven. And hilariously I edited it and found out accidentally by typing "sh*ttle", with an "i" instead of the "u" next to it and it autocorrects to the pg version....

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Prankster said:

Cool. My daughter has been working on the design for this for quite some time. They traveled to Hartford CT to see how there’s worked, and are modeling it after the one at BDL. 

I just looked at the Hartford airport on Google Maps and it looks incredibly similar to GRR. Two similar sized concourses and the main parking garage just across the road going past the front of the building. Even this new rental car facility is going in a similar position relative to the other buildings of the airport. 

44 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I thought we already had a rental car facility in the main parking garage? 

The rental pickup is in the existing parking ramp (and sounds like some of the ramp is used for vehicles), but most of the rental facility is “off site” (down near the entrance of the airport). So this consolidates everything in one location. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

The rental pickup is in the existing parking ramp (and sounds like some of the ramp is used for vehicles), but most of the rental facility is “off site” (down near the entrance of the airport). So this consolidates everything in one location. 

Oh duh lol.  That makes more sense.  I'm back with the class now lol.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone noticed that WOOD TV has really upped their local development coverage game in the last six months?

They have nice photos of the new concourse. Flights will start using the concourse on Friday!

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/check-out-the-new-expanded-concourse-at-ford-airport/

Also, thought this was interesting:

Along with the additional gates and space, new food options and retail outlets will also be coming to the concourse. Some of the new vendors include Uccello’s Ristorante, Freddy’s, Madcap Coffee and Nantucket Bakery. A new beer garden concept called Aletitude will also be placed there.

On 6/17/2023 at 2:00 PM, Hoeks said:

Saturday flight out of expanded A concourse (opened yesterday).  Below are a few pics.  

The entire length of center isle,  are shops/restaurants under construction.   The gate agent mentioned they would start opening next week.  

I am so impressed, as this is such a transformative feel/experience.  Certainly feels like a big city airport.  Very bright, tall ceilings, tons of comfortable seating options with tables, and the width adds so much space.   

The existing gates are now boarded up and appears work as begun.   

IMG_0420.jpeg

IMG_0421.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0423.jpeg

IMG_0418.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0417.jpeg

IMG_0413.jpeg

My wife and one of my kids flew back to GRR Friday and deplaned at one of the new gates.  They said it looks like a big city airport now.  They really liked the terrazzo floor art and the brightness of the space...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, walker said:

Because of the pilot shortage since the pandemic, the previous United Express regional carrier that flew between Muskegon  and Chicago dropped their service

I used that flight to Chicago a couple times and it was efficient and less expensive.  In and out of airport was super quick.  Disappointing that service level could not be sustained.

14 hours ago, walker said:

Passenger service has fallen on hard time at the Muskegon Airport.  Because of the pilot shortage since the pandemic, the previous United Express regional carrier that flew between Muskegon  and Chicago dropped their service and the replacement air service is provided by Southern Airways Express, an airline that flies nine-passenger non-pressurized single prop planes.  Apparently the pilot requirements are not as strict for their planes:

I know it is probably also the proximity to GRR that has hurt the Muskegon airport, but it is crazy to me that Manistee can support 4 flights a day to Chicago while Muskegon struggles so bad. 

Edited by Pattmost20