Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

Yeah Frontier adding flights to existing destinations doesn't really get me excited either haha.  

That said Decembers stats were released on the website.  GRR ended the year 5k short of 3.8 million passengers.  3.795 million total for the year, up 8%.  That's the new record over the previous 3.6 million set in 2019.   Interested to see if that momentum continues to build in 2024.  5% growth in 24' is needed to get that total over 4 million. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the lounge will be "The Club" brand lounge, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges/2150158-new-club-grr.html. No opening date but its a nice feature only found at larger airports than GRR. I have access and they can be a bit hit or miss on staff/cleanliness compared to the specific airline clubs, of which probably only Delta comes remotely close to have the volume to serve here in the future. But certainly good to see its not an off-brand so this will probably get good usage. https://theclubairportlounges.com/pages/explore-locations

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

GRR was recognized among the best airports in North America in a new survey. 

In order to most accurately rank the world's best airports, the Airports Council International (ACI)—in conjunction with travel tech company Amadeus—conducted passenger surveys throughout the year to collect feedback. Around the globe, nearly 600,000 surveys were completed in 2023 before announcing the Airport Service Quality (ASQ) awards earlier this week.

GRR was recognized for the following categories:

• Best Airport - 2 to 5 million passengers per year
  • Airport with most dedicated staff
  • Most enjoyable airport
  • Cleanest airport

These Are the Best Airports in North America, According to a New Passenger Survey (msn.com)

• Like 4

Airport numbers surged in February 22.5% to 340k passengers.   Up 18.4% on the year.  While I don’t think growth will stay at that rate, I do think it’s highly likely that the airport passes 4 million passengers this year.  It will be interesting to see if it passes 400k during the summer months.

On 3/19/2024 at 8:10 AM, Hoeks said:

Concourse A has a Uccello's "Coming Soon" / rendering, that mentions opening this summer.  ALEtitde was quite busy on a Thursday afternoon a couple weeks ago, which was also good to see.  Also adding a photo of the entrance of the new lounge.   I haven't heard any recent updates, but look forward to the addition of International and customs.    

airport1.jpg

airport2.jpg

love having a local dining option like Uccellos, but also need more "fast/cheaper" food options like they used to have with pizza hut bk? salad place ect. At one point planed a Firehouse subs, burger federation and a pre-security starbucks that never came to fruition https://www.grr.org/news/new-restaurants-retail-coming-to-gerald-r.-ford-international-airport?hs_amp=true

I believe a Freddy's is planned, probably not the best place as far as messiness/restroom usage afterwards but something is better than nothing. 

28 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Airport numbers surged in February 22.5% to 340k passengers.   Up 18.4% on the year.  While I don’t think growth will stay at that rate, I do think it’s highly likely that the airport passes 4 million passengers this year.  It will be interesting to see if it passes 400k during the summer months.

Actually growth COULD continue through '24 and '25 at least because concourse A expansion is not completed yet, there are several additional flight options coming soon to ATL, DFW, BNA, MSP (all destinations already served). I would think that would continue when the concourse project completes later this year along with the customs project and hope that means new destinations CUN, maybe JFK, IAD and TOR again and hope better service to the west coast to LAX, LAS, and PHX and maybe new service to SLC SEA among other possibilities!

1 hour ago, GR8scott said:

Actually growth COULD continue through '24 and '25 at least because concourse A expansion is not completed yet, there are several additional flight options coming soon to ATL, DFW, BNA, MSP (all destinations already served). I would think that would continue when the concourse project completes later this year along with the customs project and hope that means new destinations CUN, maybe JFK, IAD and TOR again and hope better service to the west coast to LAX, LAS, and PHX and maybe new service to SLC SEA among other possibilities!

Will United ever bring back the direct flight to Dulles?

On 1/25/2024 at 12:29 PM, MJLO said:

Yeah Frontier adding flights to existing destinations doesn't really get me excited either haha.  

Looks like another new Frontier destination not to get excited about:

CRAINS: Frontier adds nonstop three times a week to Atlanta

EDIT: Not about GRR but here's a local story and video about flying I just ran across after posting the above that's much more exciting (or at least more bizarre)  than Frontier adding a thrice weekly flight to an existing destination :  

FOX17: Single-engine plane lands outside Coopersville diner, takes off

Edited by walker

23 hours ago, SupercityGR said:

Salt lake city would be a neat new direct flight 

its a delta hub and delta is the number 1 carrier at GRR, not every likes a connection in MSP for flights to the west coast, it could make a lot of sense, more so than SEA another delta hub 

On 3/21/2024 at 12:28 PM, MJLO said:

SLC is about twice as far as Minne.  From a business stand point I’d think it would make more sense to fly into the closer/busier hub. 

Its more or a destination and more direct to CA, AZ, Vegas ect. Instead of 4 daily flights between GRR and MSP, there could be 2 to each MSP and SLC or even 3 to MSP and 1 SLC for the same exact capacity and expanded capacity is happening with growing passengers ever year. Other non-hub midwestern cities such as Omaha, Tulsa, KC, Cincinnati, Milwaukee has this route

6 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Its more or a destination and more direct to CA, AZ, Vegas ect. Instead of 4 daily flights between GRR and MSP, there could be 2 to each MSP and SLC or even 3 to MSP and 1 SLC for the same exact capacity and expanded capacity is happening with growing passengers ever year. Other non-hub midwestern cities such as Omaha, Tulsa, KC, Cincinnati, Milwaukee has this route

As of this moment those airports are all still busier than GRR, not to mention they all tend to be hubs to larger or more populated regions.  Yes I know both Omaha and Tulsa are smaller metros than GR, but they are both larger urbanized centers,  and they are isolated enough not to compete with midsize population centers like Kzoo, or Lansing for traffic.   They are also not within a couple hours drives of mega hubs like Chicago or Detroit.    That said GRR has been been catching up to it's peers rapidly over the last decade.   If GRR keeps reclaiming it's local market share, along with poaching from some of the smaller redundant airports like AZO and LAN,  you very well could see new routes like that. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MJLO said:

As of this moment those airports are all still busier than GRR, not to mention they all tend to be hubs to larger or more populated regions.  Yes I know both Omaha and Tulsa are smaller metros than GR, but they are both larger urbanized centers,  and they are isolated enough not to compete with midsize population centers like Kzoo, or Lansing for traffic.   They are also not within a couple hours drives of mega hubs like Chicago or Detroit.    That said GRR has been been catching up to it's peers rapidly over the last decade.   If GRR keeps reclaiming it's local market share, along with poaching from some of the smaller redundant airports like AZO and LAN,  you very well could see new routes like that. 

Yea adding routes would make it even faster way to "catch up" to some of those pier-sized airports. Speaking of local competition, LAN is adding Breeze Airlines. I have not flown them yet but I certainly like the looks of their business model better than the other low cost carrier notably Allegiant and Sun Country at GRR. They fly smaller planes to larger hubs and less seasonal/part time. It does look like they are expanding rapidly and tripling their fleet so maybe theres room at GRR as well?

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2024/03/26/lansing-breeze-airways-orlando-ft-myers-flights/73096151007/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big expansion of the terminal announced today.  They are going to expand and consolidate all the ticketing area to the west and the baggage handling to the east.  From the looks of the requisite photo of the officials and politicians with their shovels moving a pile of dirt, I think they were digging on the wrong side of the street from the terminal.  Keeps them out of the way I guess,: 

GRR PRESS RELEASE: Ford International Airport Breaks Ground on $135 Million Terminal Enhancement Project

GRRshovelsanddirt04-10-2024.png.89d3646a16da9bcc87b38dda5d07ea42.png

GRRterminalexpansion2024.png.a2081d9ec10d9b3dc55079a3bcccfb94.png

Edited by walker
  • Like 1

That’s great. 175,000 square feet is pretty massive. Wish they had floor plans, as I’m having a hard time picturing it in my head (I get the general idea, but not at that sq. footage).  

I will miss the old baggage carousels that sent baggage crashing down, and watching luggage start to double stack causing a luggage log jam. 🤣

Joe

• Like 1