Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

I was thinking about that too. It seems like they could possibly try to open up a few gates in the new section and then they can close one side of the old part to expand the width? Seems like it’s close to being able to use for that and going into the busier winter season doubt the capacity would allow for less gates?? Hope they don’t just add to the width of the old section and call it a day so you have to walk through that between the main terminal

1 hour ago, jonrapley said:

It's kinda disappointing that the parking garage is going to look way bigger than the actual airport. 

Just flew in and out of St Pete/Clearwater (PIE) and they have just one giant sea of surface parking lots. And no bridges to the planes. :) It's good to fly in and out of because it's not busy like Tampa, but it looks small townish. I'll take a big parking ramp for $500 Alex. 

Which makes sense when I think about it. Most people who fly in and out of GRR probably originate-enplane at GRR and head somewhere else, and return to GRR. A lot for business. Vs places like Tampa or PIE which get a lot of tourists, who all rent cars. Which means GRR needs car storage probably moreso than touristy destinations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Just flew in and out of St Pete/Clearwater (PIE) and they have just one giant sea of surface parking lots. And no bridges to the planes. :) It's good to fly in and out of because it's not busy like Tampa, but it looks small townish. I'll take a big parking ramp for $500 Alex. 

Which makes sense when I think about it. Most people who fly in and out of GRR probably originate-enplane at GRR and head somewhere else, and return to GRR. A lot for business. Vs places like Tampa or PIE which get a lot of tourists, who all rent cars. Which means GRR needs car storage probably moreso than touristy destinations. 

Anecdotally, just got back from Palm Springs (which is a crazy small airport, most of the halls are outdoors, actually pretty cool experience) via Denver. Planes were packed from GRR to Denver (both ways), and saw a packed flight back to GRR when we got off our flight. Also, a lot of people talking around us were from Muskegon, north of Greenville, Canadian Lakes, Lansing, etc. seems like we’re pulling from the whole region now. 

Joe

• Like 3

12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Anecdotally, just got back from Palm Springs (which is a crazy small airport, most of the halls are outdoors, actually pretty cool experience) via Denver. Planes were packed from GRR to Denver (both ways), and saw a packed flight back to GRR when we got off our flight. Also, a lot of people talking around us were from Muskegon, north of Greenville, Canadian Lakes, Lansing, etc. seems like we’re pulling from the whole region now. 

Joe

Yep, the last 3 flights we've taken down to PIE were all full airplanes. A320's. Allegiant. Even this past weekend which is historically a really slow tourist month in Pinellas County due to rain and thunderstorms every day for months on end.

Interesting too to see a lot of the same people on the flight down and the flight back. The guy we sat next to on the way down ended up being at the same condo complex. :P  And he took the same flight back with us 4 days later. 

I'm interested to see the latest passenger numbers out of GRR.  In 2019 the airport set records at around 3.6 million passengers.   Jan and Feb 2020 were both up 15-20% from even those records and it was on pace to break the 4million mark in 2020.  Then passenger traffic fell off of a cliff and I stopped checking.  

The latest info they have available is from May  where traffic was up 21% from 2021, and up 40% YTD from 2021 at nearly 1.4 million passengers.  That's a pace of about 3 million/yr.  Still down a good chunk from the early 2020 break neck pace.  My guess is a lot of the traffic that hasn't come back is still on the business traveler side of things.  That would indicate that they are growing their leisure segment significantly, and doing a great job at stopping the decades long passenger attrition to Detroit and Chicago.  The overall trend in manufacturing is a continued move away from work from home/return to the office.  My guess is we will continue to see a rebound in the business sector as well.  Perhaps 2023 will see a return to pre-pandemic numbers. 

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

I'm interested to see the latest passenger numbers out of GRR.  In 2019 the airport set records at around 3.6 million passengers.   Jan and Feb 2020 were both up 15-20% from even those records and it was on pace to break the 4million mark in 2020.  Then passenger traffic fell off of a cliff and I stopped checking.  

The latest info they have available is from May  where traffic was up 21% from 2021, and up 40% YTD from 2021 at nearly 1.4 million passengers.  That's a pace of about 3 million/yr.  Still down a good chunk from the early 2020 break neck pace.  My guess is a lot of the traffic that hasn't come back is still on the business traveler side of things.  That would indicate that they are growing their leisure segment significantly, and doing a great job at stopping the decades long passenger attrition to Detroit and Chicago.  The overall trend in manufacturing is a continued move away from work from home/return to the office.  My guess is we will continue to see a rebound in the business sector as well.  Perhaps 2023 will see a return to pre-pandemic numbers. 

Anecdotally, I read nationally that the first two weeks of September had the highest number of business travelers since the pandemic started. So business travel could be bouncing back sooner than later.

"Anecdotally", it seems like some business travel is destined to be done with relying more on video conferencing, however zoom fatigue is a thing and with more remote work there should be a growing demand in conferences again, another reason the airport and downtown recognizes the importance of each other. Also  there have been a few lost destinations and with the construction , a couple less gates available to use (not sure how much capacity there is to add additional flights??) I would think the airport is in talks with airlines to expand as soon as the new gates open so 2024 could see a lot of added flights/destinations/even airlines?

13 hours ago, GR8scott said:

"Anecdotally", it seems like some business travel is destined to be done with relying more on video conferencing, 

From what I'm seeing in my bubble the opposite is happening.  Also I'm not sure how much of business travel is actually spurred by conferences.  I'm sure they represent a segment, but I don't think they are the biggest contributor to slowing of the business traveler.  Most of the business travel in and out of GR is for in person meetings, not conferences. This largely due to the global nature of the industries based in GR.   At the start of Covid I would fly out of GRR every Monday morning, and return home Friday afternoon.  It was my life for years.  It was never for a conference. 

The bloom is off the rose on work from home and companies are finding it less collaborative and productive for virtual.  Plus for manufacturing a lot of inter business dealings require in person interfacing, so we are seeing rapid returns to both travel and onsite working.   The same is true for retail and other service sectors.   Though I do have a few friends in insurance, banking, and tech where they do not appear to be in a rush to bring their workforces back.

My remote team gets together 2-3 times per year for in-person "bursts", which IME make a huge difference in counteracting many WFH drawbacks. So, I'm actually flying more than I did pre-WFH.

I wish our rail options were better. My next burst is in Toronto, and I decided to drive to Windsor and take VIA from there. It would have been nice to have an Amtrak option for the first part of the trip.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Airport is looking for art work for new A wing expansion. I wish I was more artistic but not in this capacity and looks like it may be focusing on hanging art right now. The building itself should look great considering the size of the airport but would be nice to see some art in there and a local flare so its not generic. Actually looks pretty thoughtful with a lot of detail on the RFP site

image.png.42e7e604fbd372a72cc34dfcd0de5fc4.png

Hope there's some good ones out there, here's the link if ppl know ppl,

Opportunities - Elevate - Gerald R. Ford International Airport (flyford.org)

Edited by GR8scott
mas

Kind of lost in the expansion is the emergence of record breaking passenger traffic in Traverse City.  For many of my friends and relatives flying in and heading north GR was the only option.  Not any longer.

https://www.record-eagle.com/news/business/cherry-capital-airport-sets-annual-passenger-record/article_0c1222e0-7ec7-11ec-9ce6-4f3d7e849b54.html

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Noticed some updates on the airport website so pulled these cool construction pics (none are mine) https://www.grr.org/news/elevatecontractors-1

Elevate Contractor Profiles: Legacy SteelElevate Contractor Profiles: Bazen Electric CompanyElevate Contractor Profiles: Fischer Idema Excavating22-png.pngElevate Contractor Profiles: Bouma Corporation

A couple quick photos from this past week.   The first looking south through the expansion by gate 7.   The second photo is looking east.   What really surprised me, is how wide the expansion will be!   Really excited for this to open.  

airport.jpg

aiport 2.jpg

• Like 4