RDU International Airport

Rufus

The SFO and SEA routes I think are the most vital to the international travel. It would be nice to fly from RDU to Asia with only one stop in SFO would be real nice.

If Lenovo gains more clout and possibly attracts other Asian companies here, it just may happen.

In my opinion I think SEA is still a couple years away. I mean we just got LAX a year ago and we're fighting for SFO now, so I feel that it would be considered on the back burner until SFO is secured. I'm really surprised that LAX does not have higher figures. Maybe if it were to be offered not only as a red eye flight we might see higher loads.. I'm just glad that it is still workig out as far as Delta is cares.

If Lenovo gains more clout and possibly attracts other Asian companies here, it just may happen.

That is exactly who I was thinking of, (my current employer.) I call it Bejing south in the morning when I come in thru the Lobby. Alot of resources is spent to send the Chinese over to the American HQs.

Edited by Cary NC

RDU has now almost 500 daily flights.

Delta recently announced nonstop service from Raleigh-Durham to Cancun, Mexico starting on February 2, 2008.

American Airlines will switch its Raleigh-Durham nonstop to London service from Gatwick Airport to Heathrow Airport on March 29, 2008. American Airlines began offering service from RDU to London's Gatwick Airport in May 1994 when RDU was the North-South (east coast) hub for American Airlines.

Atlanta AirTran, Delta, Delta Connection

Austin American Eagle

Baltimore/Washington Southwest

Bentonville, AR American Eagle (begins 11/07)

Birmingham ExpressJet

Boston American Eagle, Delta Connection, JetBlue

Cancun, Mexico Delta (begins 02/08)

Charleston, SC US Airways Express

Charlotte US Airways, US Airways Express

Chicago Midway Southwest

Chicago O'Hare American Airlines, American Eagle, United, United Express

Cincinnati Delta, Delta Connection

Cleveland Continental Express

Columbus American Eagle

Dallas-Ft. Worth American Airlines

Denver United Airlines

Detroit Northwest

Fort Lauderdale Delta Connection, JetBlue (begins 01/08), Southwest (begins 02/08)

Hartford American Eagle

Houston Continental, Continental Express

Indianapolis Northwest

Jacksonville, FL ExpressJet, American Eagle

Kansas City, MO ExpressJet, American Eagle

Las Vegas US Airways, Southwest

London, U.K. Gatwick American Airlines (Heathrow Int'l. begins 03/08)

Los Angeles Delta

Louisville ExpressJet, American Eagle

Memphis Northwest

Miami American Airlines

Milwaukee Midwest Airlines

Minneapolis/St. Paul Northwest

Nashville Southwest

Newark American Eagle, Continental, Continental Express

New Orleans ExpressJet

New York, Kennedy American Eagle, Delta Connection, JetBlue

New York LaGuardia American Eagle, Delta Connection, US Airways Express

Norfolk US Airways Express

Orlando Delta Connection, Southwest, AirTran (begins 02/07)

Philadelphia US Airways, US Airways Express, Southwest

Phoenix Southwest, America West

Pittsburgh US Airways Express

St. Louis American Airlines

Salt Lake City Delta

San Antonio ExpressJet

Tampa-St. Petersburg Southwest, Delta

Toronto Air Canada

Washington Dulles United, United Express

Washington Reagan National American Eagle, US Airways Express

Year Total

1985 _2,771,009

1986 _ 3,100,002

1987 _4,854,073

1988 _7,352,007

1989 _8,594,671

1990 _9,265,665

1991 _9,381,586

1992 _9,925,364

1993 _9,695,886

1994 _8,999,491

1995 _5,937,135

1996 _6,417,871

1997 _6,724,874

1998 _7,228,653

1999 _8,941,775

2000 _10,438,585

2001 _9,584,087

2002 _8,241,253

2003 _7,912,547

2004 _8,637,606

2005 _9,303,904

2006 _9,422,112

2007 _7,506,719 (from Jan.-Sept) full year total not completed.

A few quick facts about RDU

Eastern Airlines began service from RDU to New York and Miami in 1943. These flights stoped in Richmond, Washington , D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia. Flights to Miami were also offered by Easter Airlines with stops in Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Orlando, Vero Beach and West Palm.

Capital Airlines (later renamed United Airlines) began service at RDU in 1947.

Piedmont Airlines (now US Airways) begins service in 1948 at RDU bringing the total daily flights to 22.

Delta Airlines became the 4th carrier to serve RDU in 1970.

American Airlines begins service in 1985 as RDU's 7th carrier.

Allegheny Airlines (later USAir and merged with Piedmont Airlines to form USAir/US Airways ), began service at RDU in 1979.

Terminal A opened (the blue building) in 1981 and the original 1955 Terminal building was renamed Terminal B.

Trans World Airlines (now part of American Airlines) began service in 1984 as the 6th carrier to serve RDU passengers.

RDU opened the 10,000 foot runway 5L-23R in 1986.

American Airlines opens its north-south hub operation at RDU in the new Terminal C in June 1987. American brought RDU its first international nonstop flights to:

Bermuda

Cancun, Mexico

London, UK

Paris, France

Midway Airlines began service at RDU and relocated its corporate headquarters to Raleigh-Durham in March of 1995.

In 1996 American Airlines ceased hub operations at RDU due to difficulty competing with the new Miami American hub the airline took over from Eastern Airliens and what was then called USAir's hub in Charlotte (now US Airways) and Delta's hub in Atlanta.

RDU's first international carrier, Air Canada, introduced service to Toronto, Canada in 1996.

Canadian Regional began service to Toronto, Canada in 1997.

Other airlines once at RDU

Ozark Airlines (TWA bought Ozark in 1986, and American Airlines purchased TWA in 1999)

New York Air (Continental Airlines in 1986. The airline was integrated into Continental in 1987)

Air South (Air South ceased operations on August 28, 1997 having lost $60 million)

America West Airlines (the airline was based in Tempe, Arizona, and is now a part of US Airways)

Pan American World Airways (known as Pan Am, was the principal international airline of the United States from the 1930s until its collapse in 1991)

PEOPLExpress Airlines (People Express ceased to exist as a carrier on February 1, 1987, when its operations were merged into the operations of Continental Airlines)

ValuJet Airlines (ValuJet now operates as AirTran Airways)

Edited by Atlside

For those familiar with the HBO Series Six Feet Under and Showtimes Dexter, I spotted the lead actor at RDU on Sunday. I ran into Michael Hall (a.k.a. David Fisher) at RDU on Sunday, while he was about to catch a flight. He told me that he grew up in Raleigh and was here over the weekend visiting his mother. Not sure how often he's back in Raleigh, of if he even has a second home here, but this was news to my ears. That's very good for Raleigh though, because he's on his way to becoming an A list star.

Michael C. Hall

Edited by RALNATIVE

For those familiar with the HBO Series Six Feet Under and Showtimes Dexter, I spotted the lead actor at RDU on Sunday. I ran into Michael Hall (a.k.a. David Fisher) at RDU on Sunday, while he was about to catch a flight. He told me that he grew up in Raleigh and was here over the weekend visiting his mother. Not sure how often he's back in Raleigh, of if he even has a second home here, but this was news to my ears. That's very good for Raleigh though, because he's on his way to becoming an A list star.

Michael C. Hall

Yeah, he is a really good actor. I saw that guy from Desperate Housewives in the Airport not too long ago. As the area gets more notoriety you are liable to start seeing anyone at the airport of at the malls.:) My cousin who works at large Jewelry store at Triangle Towne Center saw Basketball phenom Lebron James back during the summer at the mall.

I hear people are forever seeing celebs in Atlantas Hartfield Terminal.

Keep your cameras and picture phones ready. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Did you fly direct into RDU? If so, how many FIS stations did they have? How many were in operation?

Not sure what FIS station is? I flew through JFK and then RDU so I came in on a puddle jumper. So I came through customs/entry at JFK which if I may say, means you have walk a lot of long hallways to get to customs/entry.

Just happened to look at Flightaware.com just a moment ago there was a Delta Flight #8, a Boeing 777 that apparently was supposed to go from ATL to Dubai, but stopped here at RDU and then is now enroute to Dubai. Any of you have a clue what this might be about?

perhaps a terrorist demanded to get off at RDU instead of heading back to the middle east. welcome to the triangle, get a car and see you on the road :o

I'm not so sure as far as the Delta 777 goes. I saw that on flightaware.com as well. Another awesome flight that you may want to know about is the UPS MD-11 that is daily from Louisville, Kentucky. It arrives around 0500 and departs around 2100. If you've never seen a DC-10, L-1011, or MD-11 you should try to go out to see this airplane because the three-hole heavies are becoming more rare each day... Also Philly's UPS flight is upgraded from a daily 757 to a DC-8 while is a usual seasonal substitution, but the MD-11 to Louisville in new this year. RDU is bring in more cargo!

I did manage to catch the AAL 777 from London the past two weekends as it was landing on 5L from the parking lot at Triangle Factory Shops. Having a plane that large fly just over your head it pretty cool. I wish there was an area where I could get closer, but anywhere else and I'll have the RDU Police coming after me. I do manage to get by the observation deck from time to time, but nothing compares to having a plane fly above you as compare to in front of you.

When I saw that DAL 777 that was departing from RDU to Dubai, I got all excited because I though maybe I had missed some major news and there was going to be another 777 servicing RDU. Guess it was just a rare occasion.

***On a side note. Does anyone know where or have any pictures from when the Concorde came to RDU? I remember it happening and being on the news and I know I've seen a photo in a retail store somewhere in Raleigh, but I cannot remember where I saw it. Any information on that would be great because my searches on Google and Yahoo have turned up no information.****