Columbia Stingers

krazeeboi

The State reports that owners of the newest member of the National Indoor Football League will discuss details about a Columbia franchise at an 11 a.m. news conference Wednesday, a Colonial Center news release said. The team will begin playing at the Colonial Center starting with the spring 2007 season.

I wonder when minor-league baseball will give Columbia another try?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the new Lexington County Inferno arena plans were announced, an indoor football team was also mentioned as a secondary tenant. I wonder if the team will move to the facility once it's built?

And why haven't you guys gone to a Rottweilers game yet? Before you can start thinking about the pros, you've got to support what you already have. :P

This is good news for the only current team in the state, the Charleston Sandsharks. A rivalry in this sport could be started with G'ville and Cola teams, which will drive up interest and revenue for all of the state's teams. This has already occurred in the ECHL with the Grrrowl, Stingrays, and Inferno. Each time these teams meet, attendance significantly goes up, as well as the intensity of the game. When the Stingrays and Inferno met in Chas a few weeks ago, it was an almost sold out crowd of 10,400. Oh, and the Stingrays won in a shootout. :P:thumbsup:

The Grrrowl folded?! :huh: I had no idea! Now, you're from Florence and your team moved to MB (The Pride), but G'ville's team is no more? Can the G'ville forumers confirm this?

...Or am I misinterpreting the phrase? Did you mean the Grrrowl beat the the Stingrays after the Rays beat the Inferno.... :wacko:

I'm confused...must......get.....more......coffee.......

The Grrrowl folded?! :huh: I had no idea! Now, you're from Florence and your team moved to MB (The Pride), but G'ville's team is no more? Can the G'ville forumers confirm this?

...Or am I misinterpreting the phrase? Did you mean the Grrrowl beat the the Stingrays after the Rays beat the Inferno.... :wacko:

I'm confused...must......get.....more......coffee.......

I'm sorry to hear about that. That does suck that G'ville currently has no hockey team. I hope another team can indeed fill the void and continue the intrastate rivalry in the ECHL. If attendance was good, what caused the eventual demise? Was the rent at the Bi-Lo Center too expensive? Hopefully, the NIHL teams will find better success.

I only hope that the NIFL franchises efforts will stimulate growth and interest in arena football since the AFL has been mediocre at best. Maybe through teams like this, the NFL could develop a farm system similar to baseball.

I'm sorry to hear about that. That does suck that G'ville currently has no hockey team. I hope another team can indeed fill the void and continue the intrastate rivalry in the ECHL. If attendance was good, what caused the eventual demise? Was the rent at the Bi-Lo Center too expensive? Hopefully, the NIHL teams will find better success.

I only hope that the NIFL franchises efforts will stimulate growth and interest in arena football since the AFL has been mediocre at best. Maybe through teams like this, the NFL could develop a farm system similar to baseball.

Everything seems to point back to bad marketing efforts by the franchise. As of the last several years, you'd never have guessed that a hockey team called Greenville home. There were no billboards, no ads on radio or tv, no promotions... It all ended up leading to low attendance and the eventual collapse of the Grrowl.

It was a learning experience that our baseball team has taken note of. I believe that the Drive's success in the future will then, in return, serve as a model for future sports teams in the Upstate. When hockey returns, we should see better results.

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if anyone else went to the indoor football game Saturday night. I went and I must say while the fan turnout was very low, everyone there seemed to have a really good time including myself. I think a little promoting could go a long way for the team. Really, I think this is something Columbia could embrace, unlike baseball or hockey. There were also several local players in the game which also made it interesting. The only thing was that after sitting there for a while, we start noticing that the advertising didn't make a lot of sense. Several places we hadn't heard of and several phone numbers that appeared very long distance. I then noticed the endzone had a partially scraped off COLUMBUS on it. I guess that means we didn't spring for a new field and are using someone elses. There were no logos representing Columbia on the field (some whited out Columbus logos) and the scoreboard was not capable of displaying the downs and the yardline. With that all being said I think if they can fix a few things this could really takeoff. Anyway here are a few pics I took at the game. By the way we lost the game. :(

S5300129.jpg

S5300133.jpg

S5300126.jpg

S5300125.jpg

S5300137.jpg

I thought considering the little advertising that was done, the crowd of 3600 was pretty good. I thought the product was pretty mediocre, though, and I left at halftime. I think next time I need a bigger group who likes to party. The whole even was pretty kitschy, imo, but that could be fun with a few beers in me. ;)

Yeah the beer does help. I didn't realize the crowd was 3600 which does sound decent. But I think if they push this thing it could take off. I looked through the program (which was free thankfully) and the lack of sponsors was very obvious. They did land Palmetto Health and Time Warner, but they have a lot of work to do. I thought the talent was ok, and the other team was even better. I still like the idea of Todd Ellis bringing "Arena" football to the city rather than the NIFL. I don't buy GM Paquette's reasoning of not enough regional teams in the AFL. Who cares if were playing Greensboro or Toledo? From what I hear the NIFL is very unstable and several teams have folded midseason. I guess I'll try and stay positive.

• 1 month later...

Archived