Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about the hotel portion? Does it look at all different than what we've seen so far? I was hoping for a little something more than what I've seen. Although, each new picture I've seen so far seems to contradict the last one. Mysterious, to say the least...(cue the x-files music)

From what I see, the massing is pretty much what was most recently posted. Mostly glass, big sun shades. Its not as nice as the tower, for sure, but its not terrible.

Is one corner of the facade curved? Can you describe what you've seen (beyond street level)? Can you post renderings?

Sorry for the late answer my wife keeps me off the internet on the weekends, and at home. First I must say that I can't provide any renderings, however there are some very good ones on here that atlrvr and nibledell posted a while back. The corner facing 5th and college is indeed curved, as is the corner diagonal to that, and there is a lot of different things going on at the top, the building will resemble a shorter New York Times building. The Ritz is just rectilinear boxes stacked on their side, sounds very uninteresting to some but in final form it will be gorgeous, it will live and breath the international style with a clear glass modern take.

Even with rendering such as this one BOA1.jpg

you need to look closer. There is much more to this building even in this view. For instance on the right side of the picture of bofa, notice how the windows on the trade st. side of bofa don't match up with the college st. thats because there is a glass sheet that sticks out a good bit further.

bottomcorner.jpg

This is like this diagonally accross as well. In the renderings I've seen the middle section between the glass sheet, is set back further, creating an even more extreme look.

Sorry for the late answer my wife keeps me off the internet on the weekends, and at home. First I must say that I can't provide any renderings, however there are some very good ones on here that atlrvr and nibledell posted a while back. The corner facing 5th and college is indeed curved, as is the corner diagonal to that, and there is a lot of different things going on at the top, the building will resemble a shorter New York Times building. The Ritz is just rectilinear boxes stacked on their side, sounds very uninteresting to some but in final form it will be gorgeous, it will live and breath the international style with a clear glass modern take.

Even with rendering such as this one BOA1.jpg

you need to look closer. There is much more to this building even in this view. For instance on the right side of the picture of bofa, notice how the windows on the trade st. side of bofa don't match up with the college st. thats because there is a glass sheet that sticks out a good bit further.

bottomcorner.jpg

This is like this diagonally accross as well. In the renderings I've seen the middle section between the glass sheet, is set back further, creating an even more extreme look.

Thanks for the info. Does this tower flare out at the top or are the dimensions for the base and the top the same?

I'm just curious Edmond, but are you trying to make a model of this building or just trying to get a better feel for how it will look? Seems like you have a lot of interest in this building.

Also, there are two things I now no longer like about this project.

1. I will miss the colors of the concrete parking deck at night when the Epicentre billboard lights up. The pinks and blues and oranges that the concrete projects are actually really pretty at night. I guess the glass may be more stunning, I just love the look of colored concrete, somethin about it. During the day I will be able to fully appreciate the extra room for retail that this project will allow however, so I can't complain.

2. This construction pace is killin me. It seemed like they were going fast at first but then I realized that it didn't seem they were putting any effort at all on digging. Ritz is finally above ground but is moving at the pace of TTT and The Park rather than like aLoft and WB like I had expected. Doesn't seem right that BoA would let Wachovia out-pace it. Sure they're hittin harder times, but you can't exactly call them "hard" times when you are still turning an enormous profit overall.

I'd imagine the very slow pace of these projects has to do with space. Much like Avenue (which worked at a snails pace as well), there is no room to work. With busy streets on 3 sides and a parking deck on the other. Plus they had to move all that HVAC equipment and reinforce the parking garage all while keeping the garage functional. Now we have a tower crane on top of the garage too. Its been slow, but also pretty amazing how much had to be done with this site.

I dont know how in the world they are going to finish excavating. They have dug down pretty deep along the parking garage, but still have the truck ramp to remove. I wouldn't expect things to pick up until they are out of the ground on the whole site, and even more so when they clear the top of the parking garage.

As far as renderings and more info go, I wouldn't expect too much until they are much further along with the building. From what I hear things are still changing, nothing big structure wise, but remember, BofA did have a bad quarter...

Here's the Ritz rising out of the ground.

01-14-08

91690666.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This won't be worth much to most of y'all but I just saw a new rendering of the new block consisting of the Ritz, the winter garden, the office tower and the rest of the visible parking deck. I was in the overstreet mall (b/t BOACC and Hearst) and someone was carrying a large photo-quality rendering. I definitely stared at it while he walked by.

My impressions were that (1) the roof of the Ritz is definitely GREEN. Looks like a fairway. (2) The office tower doesn't look like it could possibly be the square footage we've heard/read about. I don't know if it's been scaled down, if my vantage was deceiving or if I just overestimate what that number of square feet looks like.

I think this building always looked smaller than 32 stories, so it might just be a trick of the eye. But given their financials, it wouldn't completely shock me if they scaled it down. The parking, however, is not a good indicator. They likely discovered the cost of putting in those subterranean levels, and that is likely what spurred Lincoln Harris to simply plan to buy the land across the tracks to build a deck on (porkchop between 5th and 6th).

If they are not doing below grade parking, then why would the hole be six stories deep. Look at the 210 Trade camera and you can see that the height of the Trade Center next door would easily fit in the hole dug for the new tower. And regardless of BofA financial's, we have an uptown vacancy rate of 1%. Much better for them to build the space now for growth later.

If they are not doing below grade parking, then why would the hole be six stories deep. Look at the 210 Trade camera and you can see that the height of the Trade Center next door would easily fit in the hole dug for the new tower. And regardless of BofA financial's, we have an uptown vacancy rate of 1%. Much better for them to build the space now for growth later.

I think Tiblerbrit is saying that they didn't do parking below the Ritz, and they are correct, they only went two stories below grade for the Ritz, where as they are at least 4-5 stories below grade for the tower.

Noticed today that the the tower cranes on the Ritz/BofA site were busy lifting steel up to whatever is being built onto the top level of the corporate center parking deck. I'm curious to see how the new construction part of the parking deck matches up with the old facade.

I think they'll be stripping down that parking garage like the did with the one side. I think that is one of the purposes in having the crane up there in the first place. The steel is just being used for storage on the garage. I've been through the deck several times since construction, and a lot of the levels are being used for smaller storage, while the top level, which is shut down to parking, is used for larger storage. I just can't wait until they clear out that hole and begin construction on BofA also.

In an article about renovating the Blumenthal in todays Biz Journal, they mention that the new BoFA development across the street will cost $700 million. Didn't this price tag use to be $400 million? The Wachovia complex (condo, garage, and tower) is costing $880 million, so has something changed on this project?

Archived