Hillary Clinton for President

bmorescottamanda

At this point the only democratic candidate that has any hope of winning the 2008 election is John Edwards. Hes very "Bill Clinton" like with his ideas for the direction of our country, Hes also liked in the midwestern states which are strong republican holds. Hes a very likable guy seems like he thinks out of the box. Thats the kind of leader we need. Not the politics as usual guy.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was bombed here in NC by the right pretty heavily when he ran in 2004 for VP. Maybe it was just the same stuff they would have slung at any candidate on the "other side" but I worry that some of their arguments about him would stick on a national level. Those out there outside NC -- did you get the same impression? What is the national impression of Edwards? They also might have said more about him since he is a local.

The constant barrage they hurled at him:

He was missing from Senate votes due to campaigning (who isn't)

He is a trial lawyer: that makes him greedy, seedy, out to hurt business, out to hurt the little guy, a blood-sucking lawyer

He is too young

He is just a pretty-boy (yes, they really rallied behind that one)

The other stuff was the same old line about taxes, liberal, went to Chapel Hill, all that crap that will be attached to any Democrat.

I think he is a great person, is moderate, and would compromise rather than polarize, but then I am biased...

BRING ON OBAMA!

Precisely. It doesn't matter what gender, race, or religion they are. We need a President that can do the job.

My own guess for the 2008 election is that, unless it is Mitt Romney, the President will probably come from Congress. However, he/she doesn't necessarily have to be a sitting member, though, as is the case with the likes of Edwards and Gingrich.

Hillary could win, but there are some places she'll have to work on (I read somewhere that she was clobbered in an Iowa straw poll by three other Democrats and, of all people, Bill Frist--I didn't even know he was liked!).

I find the prospect of Hillary Clinton becoming president a little frightening. I shouldn't believe everything I read, but the majority of what I've read about the Clinton's presidency and her in particular paint the picture of one who is a little too cool and imperialistic, opinionated and too much a political opportunist. Some of her middle leaning positions I find odd and [to me] contradictory when taken as whole. I'd love to see a woman president, even for the hell of it (nothing could be more a disaster than the Bush presidency), but there is something about Hillary that I do not like. Not to mention that she has already had her 8 years. ;) At one point I thought Rice would be a dead ringer for president, and is in some ways more liberal than Hillary for a nice twist. Rice could grab all kinds of votes, assuming she could win the Republican nomination, but lately Bush, who she initially seemed to be immune to, is bringing her down with him.

here is an interesting poll. We could be closer than people realize at having the first non-white male as president of the United States. According to this poll 60% thinks Barack Obama has a chance at the white house over John Edwards which got 35% and Hillary Clinton 40% when you match those two individually against Barack Obama. Jesse Jackson didnt even get close to that percentage among republicans or democrats when he ran for president.

http://news.aol.com/dailypulse/101806/_a/p...S00010000000001

I find the prospect of Hillary Clinton becoming president a little frightening. I shouldn't believe everything I read, but the majority of what I've read about the Clinton's presidency and her in particular paint the picture of one who is a little too cool and imperialistic, opinionated and too much a political opportunist. Some of her middle leaning positions I find odd and [to me] contradictory when taken as whole. I'd love to see a woman president, even for the hell of it (nothing could be more a disaster than the Bush presidency), but there is something about Hillary that I do not like. Not to mention that she has already had her 8 years. ;) At one point I thought Rice would be a dead ringer for president, and is in some ways more liberal than Hillary for a nice twist. Rice could grab all kinds of votes, assuming she could win the Republican nomination, but lately Bush, who she initially seemed to be immune to, is bringing her down with him.

I find the prospect of Hillary Clinton becoming president a little frightening. I shouldn't believe everything I read, but the majority of what I've read about the Clinton's presidency and her in particular paint the picture of one who is a little too cool and imperialistic, opinionated and too much a political opportunist.

I agree John Edwards is a very likable person. He doesn't even seem like a politician, and I would vote for him if he did run in 2008. :good: He is in the same league as John McClain and Hilary Clinton in my book as moderate politicans that knows how to compromise with both sides to get things done.

here is an interesting poll. We could be closer than people realize at having the first non-white male as president of the United States. According to this poll 60% thinks Barack Obama has a chance at the white house over John Edwards which got 35% and Hillary Clinton 40% when you match those two individually against Barack Obama. Jesse Jackson didnt even get close to that percentage among republicans or democrats when he ran for president.

Rice will go down as one of the lock-step Bushies. When she came to office I really liked her a lot and a friend that is African American loved her -- big fan, even bought her books. He got me to read up on her education, her personality, and her political life. Since then, and with the war, her constant press conferences backing up bad policy, he has changed his mind like most of the rest of us. At least Colin Powell had the moral conviction to stay quiet and wait till he could reasonably leave. He didn't "fake it" and pretend that the president or the rest of the cabinet had any idea what they were doing -- she does and, IMO, it will have ruined her career for anything other than touring/speaking gigs and/or being a lobbyist. I would never want such a rollover in charge. She is far too intelligent to believe what she spouts to the media -- that makes her worse than someone who believes it. If she does believe it, the hype about her vast intelligence is false.

I think he definitely seems like a politician, almost too much like a politician. I have trouble believing anything he says. I guess I've been in North Carolina too long, because I'm starting to see through that southern charm. I'm pulling for Barck Obama. If you really want someone likeable who is very much a non-politician type, he's your man.

john%20mcclane%20bruce%20willis.jpg

John McClain (from Die Hard)

It's been proven you don't need much of a resume to become president these days. Bush was a C student, a draft dodger, a fledgling oil salesman, the worst governor Texas ever had and the owner of a baseball team. I doubt if he didn't share his father's name he'd never have been nominated.

Then again, he had to have the election systems rigged to "win" both times, so I guess it's not who you are: it's who you know.

It's been proven you don't need much of a resume to become president these days. Bush was a C student, a draft dodger, a fledgling oil salesman, the worst governor Texas ever had and the owner of a baseball team. I doubt if he didn't share his father's name he'd never have been nominated.

Then again, he had to have the election systems rigged to "win" both times, so I guess it's not who you are: it's who you know.

Rice will go down as one of the lock-step Bushies. When she came to office I really liked her a lot and a friend that is African American loved her -- big fan, even bought her books. He got me to read up on her education, her personality, and her political life. Since then, and with the war, her constant press conferences backing up bad policy, he has changed his mind like most of the rest of us. At least Colin Powell had the moral conviction to stay quiet and wait till he could reasonably leave. He didn't "fake it" and pretend that the president or the rest of the cabinet had any idea what they were doing -- she does and, IMO, it will have ruined her career for anything other than touring/speaking gigs and/or being a lobbyist. I would never want such a rollover in charge. She is far too intelligent to believe what she spouts to the media -- that makes her worse than someone who believes it. If she does believe it, the hype about her vast intelligence is false.

On the original topic of Hillary Clinton for President, I think she's too establishment, too conservative for me to vote for her in a primary. However, if she were to get a Democratic nomination I would support her 100% over a Republican nominee.

Hillary is too hawkish and pro-Iraq war for my tastes, but she's a good politician in other ways.

Archived