COMPLETE: Masonic Temple Hotel

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after looking at frankie's link, i was reminded of a mural on the side of a building i saw in philly. the mural makes the building look like it's hollowed out with a statue inside. it's an awesome optical illusion. when walking buy or riding by on the bus and glancing over, it seems like there's actually a statue there, but a closer look reveals the truth. something like that would be cool.

after looking at frankie's link, i was reminded of a mural on the side of a building i saw in philly. the mural makes the building look like it's hollowed out with a statue inside. it's an awesome optical illusion. when walking buy or riding by on the bus and glancing over, it seems like there's actually a statue there, but a closer look reveals the truth. something like that would be cool.

Those LEDs are CRAZY expensive. That wall belongs to VMA doesn't it? I'm pretty sure VMA can't afford an LED, and even if Renaissance paid for it, they'd want to place ads on it to cover the expense. While I'm sure they could be persuaded to feature cultural events, they'd need to sell ads to recoup the cost. That's if DOT allowed it. Since it is not perpendicular to the highway, you'd have to turn your head as you drove by to read anything. It seems a big expense for little return. Some mural or trompe l'oeil thing would be a better investment I think.

i must have not seen the other ones (i rarely go out 195 for anything, is that in RI or MA?). the 2 that i can think of are the one in warwick and the one on the side of the building at the corner of harris and atwells by the 10/6 connector. the 2 way street between the VMA and the highway isn't that big.

i agree that quality is more important than quantity, which is why i'd like to see a nice LED sign there to advertise events.

Jim: Is that the original that was in place back when it was the Civic Center? I remember heading down I-95 South one evening, and seeing, "Flash! Spiro Agnew Resigns!" That ought to date me for a lot of readers. No Providence Place then, just Union Station off in the distance. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

From the projo blog.

Renaissance Hotel Ribbon Cutting

It's taken more than 80 years, but the Masonic Temple will finally get a ribbon ceremony -- officially opening as the Renaissance Providence Hotel today at 2:00 p.m.

Ground was broken on the building site in 1926. Financial mishaps and unfinished proposals kept the building mostly empty until 2004, when Denver-based Sage Hospitality began work on the 272-room hotel.

Governor Carcieri and Mayor Cicilline are two of attendees scheduled to make an appearance at this afternoon's ceremony.

• 1 month later...

Why can't we have shiny glass buildings mixed in with the old guard brick, etc?? Keeping things traditional makes a city look tired and dated.. You can keep some old buildings and mix in new.. It shows a respect of the old, but an advancement forward.. I'm even sort of warming to those Miami Beach like twin towers by waterfire.. I'm a firm believer that you cannot attract new, service economy business using dated industrial era buildings, but thats just me..

I love the G-Tech building, like the Masonic Temple.. Although I think a little more tribute to the creepy bankrupt Free Masons would have made it more interesting.. Yet they opted for recent grafitti "artists" instead, which actually has its moments.. I like it.. I bet The Artist at The Steelyard could appreciate THAT peoples' history.. Thats current history winning over real history and actually working out!!! :whistling:

Archived