COMPLETE: Masonic Temple Hotel

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they kidding me with those "Keep Right" signs? They spent what, $14 billion on this 'avenue' (wait, that was the Big Dig :unsure: ), then they jam some little poles in the ground with "Keep Right" signs on them, not even the standard pictograph sign, but actually "Keep Right." They don't need to be gilded brass, but something a bit more attractive would have been nice.

I wonder if they're going to put any kind of monument or sculpture in the middle of those pole things in the center.

Are they kidding me with those "Keep Right" signs? They spent what, $14 billion on this 'avenue' (wait, that was the Big Dig :unsure: ), then they jam some little poles in the ground with "Keep Right" signs on them, not even the standard pictograph sign, but actually "Keep Right." They don't need to be gilded brass, but something a bit more attractive would have been nice.

nothing particularly new, but good press, and an interior photo

Empty for 75 Years, and Now a Symbol of Rebirth

New York Times

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- THE huge neo-Classical Masonic temple in the heart of the downtown here devolved into an eyesore after 1928, when the Masons abandoned the still-unfinished building.

Today, however, the building has become a symbol of the rebirth of Providence, not to mention one of the largest restoration projects in Rhode Island

nothing particularly new, but good press, and an interior photo

Empty for 75 Years, and Now a Symbol of Rebirth

New York Times

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- THE huge neo-Classical Masonic temple in the heart of the downtown here devolved into an eyesore after 1928, when the Masons abandoned the still-unfinished building.

Today, however, the building has become a symbol of the rebirth of Providence, not to mention one of the largest restoration projects in Rhode Island

Atlerast to me it doesnt look antique or classy, jsut tacky and outdated. and the room looks awkward, I remember the rooms having long shapes, it looks like it is a "shotgun" room, but twith the bed in the middle of the wrong spot.

stopped by here today too and asked 2 business looking, hard-hat wearing gentlemen who were at the site of the old white house if there were any plans to develop that parcel. They said they believe it will be used for hotel related surface parking. Unlike the guy at the CapCove site (see other thread) these folks seemed to be fairly sure of what was going on...

without bashing him direclty, I do think there are better subjects to talk about. How about updating the public on whats going on with 110 or Capital Cove. How about griping about the ghastly condition of the Amtrak landscaping and grounds. Focus on some REAL issues for a change 'Dr. Downtown.'

without bashing him direclty, I do think there are better subjects to talk about. How about updating the public on whats going on with 110 or Capital Cove. How about griping about the ghastly condition of the Amtrak landscaping and grounds. Focus on some REAL issues for a change 'Dr. Downtown.'

That's fine except what you are asking is for him to stop being the architechture critic and be something else. If that it is the case then your problem is with his editor and not with him.

There is a lot of criticism of Brussat that is fair and even handed - saying he is doing the wrong job when he is doing exactly what the Projo asks him to do ain't one of them.

You are correct. The fact that Projo believes that a discussion of "the Masonic Temple's odd carbuncle" is more newsworthy than a story on 110 or Providence's crumbling infrastructure is not Brussat's problem. He's lucky that Projo sees the value of such architectural critique.

Archived