Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

39 minutes ago, eandslee said:

What Richmond is lacking really, is a company with deep pockets to build such a tower (one that is tall and pointy).  I thought that Dominion Energy might do it before they came out with their two tower campus setup.  There is still hope for others:  I'm looking at you Atlantic Union Bank (banks are usually more flashy like that - like the BOA tower in Charlotte - wowsa - beautiful building and crown) and maybe...maybe CoStar (that might be a long shot).  Still, as Richmond grows in popularity and hopefully draws in more companies, maybe we can land one that will want to build tall downtown.  I still hold out hope for Richmond's REAL signature tower (and I'm not talking about the Monroe tower or even the Federal Reserve tower).  I'd also like to see Richmond regain the title of having the state's tallest.  The Monroe tower held the title for years (but is really ugly at 449'), then VA Beach won out with the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center (at 508') in 2008...then later the Capital One Headquarters (at 470') at Tyson's Corner got close (in 2018), but still beat out Richmond's Monroe tower.  There are plans for even taller towers to be built at Tyson's Corner, so Richmond has some work to do!  None of these taller towers are out of reach for Richmond - really, the bar is still relatively low, so there really is no excuse not to try to regain the title of Virginia's tallest (with a pointed top)!

AMEN!!! And the thing with a pointy-top building - a decent sized part of that height is in the sloping crown - and the length of any spire that may top the tower - so the development cost SHOULD be quite a bit less than building out actual occupyable floor space to the same height. BOA in Charlotte is impressive at 60 stories - and the one in Atlanta is slightly shorter - but the actual pointed top AND spire - WOW... that is a gorgeous building! And so long as a spire is considered "integral" to the architecture of the building - and isn't considered "separate from" the building (like a communications mast) - it is counted toward the building's overall height. If a developer utilized stair-stepping in the body of the building - they may be able to get around the 4:1 ratio limiter - and with sloped reductions that lead to a tall spire - it's not inconceivable that a tower could "steal" an extra 100 or so feet beyond the highest occupied floor. So what might only be a, say, 550 foot tall building with a flat top COULD be upwards of 700 feet if done correctly.

24 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Yes I know there is one in Tyson’s that’s supposed to soar over 600 feet. I think it’s called the view at Tyson’s. I wish Richmond could get the ball rolling and claim the states tallest again. If nova starts getting 700 and 800 foot towers any chance for Richmond getting the states tallest we can kiss goodbye sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fully agreed - if NOVA -- which aside from flight-path considerations for DCA doesn't care one iota about limiting height -- cracks that 700 or 800 foot mark - it's game over. Next thing you know, someone will come in with a 900-footer. Then a 1K footer. And so on. 

Richmond? Yeah... right... I doubt any of us will live long enough to see a 900 or 1,000-foot-tall building in Richmond.

And quite honestly, that's just plain sad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shakman said:

I would like to have taller towers as well, but compared to NOVA we have dense downtown skyline with numerous variety of architecture set in an urban fabric.  

Agreed. NOVA's street patterns in Alexandria, Tysons, etc., don't necessarily lend themselves to the kind of densely packed skyline we have. There are a lot of "clumps" of highrises in NOVA - a more complete "grid" system of street like Richmond's would lend itself to a singular dense skyline. As it is, there are severaly "skylines" sprinkled around NOVA.

9 hours ago, Shakman said:

I would like to have taller towers as well, but compared to NOVA we have dense downtown skyline with numerous variety of architecture set in an urban fabric.  

That's the right way to look at it, better to be more dense at the street level than having really tall highrises.  Of course with tearing down the old One James River Plaza tower, hopefully something taller is built on that huge lot. It would be a shame to tear down a 310ft building for anything smaller than that. It would be a great lot (not knowing what the soil is like under it) for a 500-650ft tower. But beyond that, if Richmond continues to build 5-15 story buildings throughout its urban core and surrounding neighborhoods, it will only continue to become more dense and urban feeling. Now if only Richmond would commit to building a legit light rail (surface/underground) it would be one hell of a city, especially since it is laid out really well for light rail.

• Like 4

Light rail: AMEN TO THAT!!! Richmond had the nation's first rail system with the street cars. How I wish the PULSE line was rail and not bus. I realize it would be ridiculously expensive - but so many up-and-coming cities now have excellent light-rail systems -- whether a burgeoning network or just one or two lines that cross each other somewhere in the downtown area. I pray to live long enough to see at least the PULSE system converted to rail.
Regarding height vs density: I'd prefer a mix of both. I'm not a huge fan of plopping a single highrise on an entire city block (and having three quarters of the block either a open courtyard (or pedestal like James River Plaza was -- or built out with a 3-story annex like the current Dominion building) - but at the same time,  if one owner controls an entire block, it is what it is. But you are spot on - that spot where the JRP sat is PERFECT for a 650-foot-tall building. Of course, given current B-4 height limiters, it would likely require a SUP - but I would hope that were Dominion ever to sell that block (which I'm sure they won't) if a single owner wants to put up a single building, the tower could eek out additional height by using stair-stepping set-backs with height and a sloping crown to a pointed top with a spire. Something in the mold of Atlanta's BOA towner - OR - even more, Philadelphia's One Liberty Place (the design of which includes a wonderful tip of the cap to the Chrysler Building in NY.)

THIS would be the kind of tower I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see on the James River Plaza site.
bank-of-america-atlanta.jpg.d76550596c82b7bc0fb735c171187d37.jpg
LibertyPlace-PHILLY.thumb.jpg.17b559fdc753c949c9ff8845889089fb.jpg

I would do anything for a liberty place look a like tower in Richmond. That has always been one of my top 3 favorite buildings in the country. I know it’s an older time period building since it was completed in 1987 but has always been my favorite. I remember the first time I went to Philly that thing was gorgeous. There’s also a hotel and mall inside that tower. I think it’s called the shops at liberty place and I think it has a Westin connected to it too along with two liberty place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Downtowner said:

I would do anything for a liberty place look a like tower in Richmond. That has always been one of my top 3 favorite buildings in the country. I know it’s an older time period building since it was completed in 1987 but has always been my favorite. I remember the first time I went to Philly that thing was gorgeous. There’s also a hotel and mall inside that tower. I think it’s called the shops at liberty place and I think it has a Westin connected to it too along with two liberty place.

Liberty Place is an amazing building. A modern-spin on the Chrysler Building. A pointy-top building like this towering above the downtown Richmond skyline would be AYYY-MAYYYY-ZING!!!

19 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Definitely one of my favorites as well.  I was actually a little disappointed to see the Comcast towers steal the Liberty Towers' prominence.

• Like 1

This photo was posted earlier this evening on the r/rva Reddit site. AMAZING view of downtown from the south. Notice how both the Children's Hospital and the VCU Outpatient Building REALLY stand out on the skyline. Both are very strong visually - very muscular buildings. Love to see the cranes from both projects plus the General Assembly Building all in the shot as well.

nebl3ccm17r51.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/4/2020 at 10:17 PM, I miss RVA said:

This photo was posted earlier this evening on the r/rva Reddit site. AMAZING view of downtown from the south. Notice how both the Children's Hospital and the VCU Outpatient Building REALLY stand out on the skyline. Both are very strong visually - very muscular buildings. Love to see the cranes from both projects plus the General Assembly Building all in the shot as well.

nebl3ccm17r51.jpg

Oh wow, I didn't realize One James River Plaza was already torn down. Looking at this photo, it would make a massive impact on the skyline if something 500-650ft tower was built in that location.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, urbanlife said:

Oh wow, I didn't realize One James River Plaza was already torn down. Looking at this photo, it would make a massive impact on the skyline if something 500-650ft tower was built in that location.

Yep! Building was imploded at the end of May - and they've been clearing the rubble through the summer. It definitely leaves a (hopefully temporary) hole in the skyline. Unfortunately, if Dominion builds its second tower, it's slated only for 17 stories - so it would not be as tall as their 600 E. Canal St. building. I wish some mega-deep-pocket developer would swoop in and make Dominion an "offer they couldn't refuse" for the block - and drop a 650-foot-tall pointy-top tower there.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2020 at 10:33 PM, I miss RVA said:

Cropped the above picture to focus on the skyline, which -- even with the hole left by the implosion of the James River Plaza -- has honestly become quite impressive! The new Outpatient Hospital really stands out.

wfvtt9f5x2s51-a.jpg

When I first saw that picture if gave me thoughts of seeing Atlanta or Charlotte from the airport.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hike said:

There are about 8 images on the Richmond City Watch facebook page from September for a few updates on several projects.  

https://www.facebook.com/richmondcitywatch/

There are some good pictures on there. Many are already dated (which is interesting to say because that is an indication of the torrid pace of projects/development in Richmond these days!!) ... but great to look at.

• Like 1

Man - so great to see density pour into Manchester. Isn't that the old Muse Buick place in the background of the second photo (it's supposed to come down for a residential project as well, yes?) And the taller, greyish building under construction in the very background of the first photo is...? (there are so many projects underway in Manchester I can't keep them all straight!!)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Man - so great to see density pour into Manchester. Isn't that the old Muse Buick place in the background of the second photo (it's supposed to come down for a residential project as well, yes?) And the taller, greyish building under construction in the very background of the first photo is...? (there are so many projects underway in Manchester I can't keep them all straight!!)

The building in the background is Riviera on Semmes. There are two 5 or 6 story buildings under construction. The existing buildings that were part of Muse have already been converted to apartments and are occupied.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

The building in the background is Riviera on Semmes. There are two 5 or 6 story buildings under construction. The existing buildings that were part of Muse have already been converted to apartments and are occupied.

Sweet! Thank you for clarifying that. Somehow I'd thought that the Muse property was being completely razed and re-developed.  AHHHH... Riveria. Got it. I vaguely remember it. Man - SO many projects you need a playbook to keep up with them all. Exactly the way it should be!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this one on Reddit this morning.  It’s an older photo, but a good one. A couple differences I noticed right away were:

1) No new Dominion Energy tower downtown

2) look at how desolate the Port of Richmond is in this photo. If you’ve driven by it lately, it has shipping containers covering the port property and they are stacked high!  Love seeing the port very busy like it should. 

What do you see that catches your eye?

Aerials

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Saw this one on Reddit this morning.  It’s an older photo, but a good one. A couple differences I noticed right away were:

1) No new Dominion Energy tower downtown

2) look at how desolate the Port of Richmond is in this photo. If you’ve driven by it lately, it has shipping containers covering the port property and they are stacked high!  Love seeing the port very busy like it should. 

What do you see that catches your eye?

Aerials

A number of things. James River Plaza still standing (and like you said, no new dominion building). I can't 100% determine if the Gateway Plaza building is there. And certainly the VCU outpatient hospital construction, Children's Hospital expansion and the General Assembly building construction aren't there.

LOL - I DO see where I used to work, however. Philip Morris. I worked there as a planner back in the '90s.

• Like 1