Boring Charlotte

King_of_queen

I stayed in town tonight after work to go to a concert at Bobcats Arena (which was postponed), and I do have to say how impressed I was with the amount of foot traffic there was from the Convention Center all the way down College to the arena.

We walked back up to Tryon and just as many people everywhere.

This was one of the few times I hang around after work, and I get excited in my mind about what is going on in Charlotte and with all of the planned development up and down Trade, Tryon, College and within the loop. It is a FAR cry from what it was 10 years ago. And just think what it will be like in another 10 years.

I truly think that as long as the smart-minded people who post to UP keep urging and impressing upon developers, the city and county, we just might get this growth thing right!

It really is a great time to be living in Charlotte!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, my wife and I were downtown both this past Saturday and Sunday and we were amazed at the amount of people downtown during the day with no event really going on (that I was aware of) other than the ongoing event Body Worlds. Even outside of Tryon St. the streets seemed to be filled with couples, families with strollers, etc. Some of the corners had so many people waiting to cross the street that it reminded me of a much larger city like Chicago or New York, truly amazing.

Wait till tonight (if we don't have rain). The Live After 5 event on Tryon packs the streets and there is free Jazz at the Mint. Thursday nights lately have been more packed outside than the weekends and the crowd when the event is over usually disperses to the bars, restaurants, and clubs.

I don't typically go out very late, but we did last Saturday and went to The Forum. The blocks from Trade and Tryon down to 7th, then down 5th and all around Cosmos and Holiday Inn were teeming with people from 9 till we left at midnight. It was actually difficult to stay on the sidewalk. Wasn't a rough crowd either, just a bunch of people from teens to 50-somethings (coming out of the Theater).

Wait till tonight (if we don't have rain). The Live After 5 event on Tryon packs the streets and there is free Jazz at the Mint. Thursday nights lately have been more packed outside than the weekends and the crowd when the event is over usually disperses to the bars, restaurants, and clubs.

I don't typically go out very late, but we did last Saturday and went to The Forum. The blocks from Trade and Tryon down to 7th, then down 5th and all around Cosmos and Holiday Inn were teeming with people from 9 till we left at midnight. It was actually difficult to stay on the sidewalk. Wasn't a rough crowd either, just a bunch of people from teens to 50-somethings (coming out of the Theater).

Regarding street activity, I really enjoy living in Dilworth this time of year. In the cooler evenings all the restaurants and coffeehouses along East get busy late into the night and there are lots of people just walking around. I feel like I live in a city for a change!

I think the Forum is only 18+ on their college night, which I think is either Wednesday or Thursday. I know that Crush, Alley Cat and Bar Charlotte's college night is on Thursday. But to answer your orginal question, I don't know of any club that is 18+ on the weekends, for guys anyway.

And this really needs to change! Large and growing cities like Charlotte should have plenty of options for late night dining or dessert places. I have been to much smaller cities that provide choices. I swear Charlotte feels like a small country town after midnight the way everything closes up.

Downtown Charlotte has developed itself to have about the same appeal as a shopping mall and hence really the only kind of restaurant that opens there are the franchises. Most franchises don't stay open late which is why you don't see much going on there in this category.

^ Huh? I completely disagree that downtown is dominated by chains. Besides the fast-food restaurants in over-street mall, there are few national chains downtown. I can only think of Capital Grille, Morton's, McCormack & Schmicks, Rock Bottom, and Ruth Chris'.

Non-chains or locally owned there is Blue, City Tavern, Monitcello, Zinc, Blue Ribbon Diner, Sonoma, Sonoma Kitchen, Town, Mimosa, Aquafina, LaVeccias, Bentely's, Coco Osteria, Mert's, Luce, and Taverna 100.

As far as coffee, I recognize it is a chain, but is Starbucks at 101 N Tryon not open late? I just assumed it was, but don't really know. I would think they could stay busy until 2am on Thus-Sun.

Archived