Boring Charlotte

King_of_queen

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The annual Imperial Council Parade of the Prince Hall Shriners will be on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. starting at Tryon Street and 9th Street, traveling down Tryon to 3rd Street, then turning on 3rd and ends at Marshall Park. More than 6,000 Shriners will march, ride in or drive 350 cars, 40 horses, 20 floats and play in 10 bands. If this is something you have never seen it before I strongly encourage you to go out and see it. Shriners are a blast to see. Also, many people forget that they support the Shriner Children's Hospitals, so please, come out and show your support.

• 2 weeks later...

Speed Street part 2?

Bank of America will host the first uptown fan fest for the BOA 500 at Lowes Motor Speedway. The Bank of America 500 Fan Fest will be held next to the company's corporate headquarters uptown, closing parts of Tryon and Trade streets. They say it will be much smaller than the May Speed Street, but I'm glad to see another festival downtown. It will run from Tuesday, October 9th until Saturday, October 13th.

OK -- here is the rundown for downtown this weekend! What a weekend to be here, especially with a break in the weather...it was amazing.

Blues, Brews, and BBQ on North Tryon

Festival of India at BofA corporate center / Blumenthal

Heart something or other walk from the Square around downtown

Panthers home game (well, event, they hardly played!)

I'm probably missing something, but that was quite enough to make me exhausted today!

Is Charlotte going to get ,anything besides the baseball stadiums, For like Kids or something. I remember my mom owuld take me every where on biz trips, and Especially San Anotnio was fun. Now What kind if family goes to a city for an art museum?

And the City is way to clean, and clean buildings.I hate the buildings in Charlotte Especially Hearst, If we get a new Sig. tower I pray to god its ghetto.Like the WT centers.

:thumbsup: We need to follow Atlantas Guidlines and be more ghetto like them.Or more thuggy.

It is also terrible that Charlotte is pretty safe downtown. Gee, I want to live in a city where I can walk upstairs from the riverwalk like in San Antonio and get beaten or mugged, or walk outside of the underground in Atlanta and watch every step for some crazy crack addict. When I was a kid, a long time ago, there were a few movie theaters downtown as well as Iveys, Belks, and other places to run around. They are gone by I am sure that the resurge will bring back good places like that again. You should take a scenic walk to Noda some evening around midnight and your wildest fantisy will be filled, guaranteed.

I hope Charlotte is never gritty. Its polished appearance is one of the things I like about it. I've lived gritty urban landscapes in NY/NJ, LA, SF and to a lesser extent in Atlanta. I hate seeing poop on the streets and smelling urine. Here in SF, I smell urine every morning when I walk to the office. It's just so fabulous.

Yeah, let's be ghetto. :dunno: I've always wanted my hometown to look like a filthy, worthless dump like Camden, NJ. Nothing like a little despair to bring high-paying jobs to the city center. Follow Atlanta's guidelines? We need to be more thuggy like them? This is all tongue-in-cheek, right?

Well, I can see where he's coming from. There is a middle somewhere between Disney-esque squeaky clean and the above mentioned urine and feces infested streets. A little earthiness or grit would add personality to what is for the most part a pretty sterile, corporate planning feel to our uptown. That doesn't mean you'll get mugged every five steps or step in poop every third step.

I guess it depends on how you define it, but places like Latta Arcade are kind of funky and earthy to me. Wachovia Plaza, not so much.

I think gritty is intended to imply older buildings not being demolished so everything is brand new and shiney. There has to be a balance with this. In the core of the city there are few buildings left though they do exist. Latta Arcade, the Fox and Hound building, Spirit Square, the storefronts with Emerson Joseph, most of 4th Ward (residential, but old nonetheless), The Poplar, The Frederick, Tryon House, much of Morehead around the stadium and just west, and a handful of others. I actually thought it was all gone until I moved downtown and spent more time walking around. Most is gone, but not all.

If you want older buildings and a bit of grit, Plaza Midwood, Southend, NoDa, Belmont, villa Heights, Thomas Street and Central Ave, north Tryon beyond 277, Wesley Heights area, Biddleville...they exisit but for how long. Don't expect lots of grit on the core, but maybe that's ok, to move from a small town to what we are development had to occur somewhere -- lets just hope we don't lose it all in the rings.

I think gritty is intended to imply older buildings not being demolished so everything is brand new and shiney. There has to be a balance with this. In the core of the city there are few buildings left though they do exist. Latta Arcade, the Fox and Hound building, Spirit Square, the storefronts with Emerson Joseph, most of 4th Ward (residential, but old nonetheless), The Poplar, The Frederick, Tryon House, much of Morehead around the stadium and just west, and a handful of others. I actually thought it was all gone until I moved downtown and spent more time walking around. Most is gone, but not all.

If you want older buildings and a bit of grit, Plaza Midwood, Southend, NoDa, Belmont, villa Heights, Thomas Street and Central Ave, north Tryon beyond 277, Wesley Heights area, Biddleville...they exisit but for how long. Don't expect lots of grit on the core, but maybe that's ok, to move from a small town to what we are development had to occur somewhere -- lets just hope we don't lose it all in the rings.

I hope Charlotte is never gritty. Its polished appearance is one of the things I like about it. I've lived gritty urban landscapes in NY/NJ, LA, SF and to a lesser extent in Atlanta. I hate seeing poop on the streets and smelling urine. Here in SF, I smell urine every morning when I walk to the office. It's just so fabulous.

Yeah, let's be ghetto. :dunno: I've always wanted my hometown to look like a filthy, worthless dump like Camden, NJ. Nothing like a little despair to bring high-paying jobs to the city center. Follow Atlanta's guidelines? We need to be more thuggy like them? This is all tongue-in-cheek, right?

Oh, sorry Cltheel. Sorry for dissing a fellow alum :blush: I lived in New Jersey (on the banks of the Hudson across from Manhattan) for 6 years and I got pretty well-acquainted with all of NJ in that time. Camden is a tragic story of American industry abandoned and it's even more tragic, being across the Delaware from wealthy Philadelphia. You're absolutely right that in the 1950s it was thriving and bustling-but no longer.

Everything need not be new. In fact, I hope we never lose the few remaining pre-WWII and 19th century buildings in the center city. Just clean, please. San Francisco has a huge problem with this on Financial District streets, SOMA and in public buildings like the bus station (soon to be demolished) and the practically new Central Library.

What kind if family goes to a city for an art museum?

If I understand the question correctly, it's an educated, intelligent family whose aspirations for their children include college, graduate school and successful careers that enable them to give back to the community.

Oh, sorry Cltheel. Sorry for dissing a fellow alum :blush: I lived in New Jersey (on the banks of the Hudson across from Manhattan) for 6 years and I got pretty well-acquainted with all of NJ in that time. Camden is a tragic story of American industry abandoned and it's even more tragic, being across the Delaware from wealthy Philadelphia. You're absolutely right that in the 1950s it was thriving and bustling-but no longer.

Archived