Boring Charlotte

King_of_queen

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope Charlotte is never gritty. Its polished appearance is one of the things I like about it. I've lived gritty urban landscapes in NY/NJ, LA, SF and to a lesser extent in Atlanta. I hate seeing poop on the streets and smelling urine. Here in SF, I smell urine every morning when I walk to the office. It's just so fabulous.

Yeah, let's be ghetto. :dunno: I've always wanted my hometown to look like a filthy, worthless dump like Camden, NJ. Nothing like a little despair to bring high-paying jobs to the city center. Follow Atlanta's guidelines? We need to be more thuggy like them? This is all tongue-in-cheek, right?

Codepink Charlotte is having another peace vigil at East&Scott in Dilworth tonight. Over the past few weeks we have been joined by counterprotestors. The Gathering of Eagles from Lake Norman, I think. They camp out on the other corner. Free speech is a wonderful thing and I don't have any problem with them doing the same thing we are from a different perspective. It can get a bit rowdy though and a police officer will be present tonight. Codepink is asking participants and drummers to meet in front of Talley's at 5:30 before going to the corner. Sources say that Gathering of Eagles may try to occupy more than one corner tonight. For newbies from either side who may want to attend it's very easy to tell us apart and join the correct group :lol:

Codepink Charlotte is having another peace vigil at East&Scott in Dilworth tonight. Over the past few weeks we have been joined by counterprotestors. The Gathering of Eagles from Lake Norman, I think. They camp out on the other corner. Free speech is a wonderful thing and I don't have any problem with them doing the same thing we are from a different perspective. It can get a bit rowdy though and a police officer will be present tonight. Codepink is asking participants and drummers to meet in front of Talley's at 5:30 before going to the corner. Sources say that Gathering of Eagles may try to occupy more than one corner tonight. For newbies from either side who may want to attend it's very easy to tell us apart and join the correct group :lol:

This topic makes me laugh. You want some good dirt? Come hang out at the corner of Mass Ave. and Newbury Street in Boston and you can breath, smell, taste and touch all the dirt and grime you'd ever want. You will never be lonely of dirt...dirt follows you, asking for money and spitting in your face when you only have .75 cents instead of $1.

Charlotte's great charm is the fact that it is clean and people take pride in the places they hang out, and their yards and the places they want to be. I look forward to my return to Charlotte where I'm not wary of my 7 year old walking barefoot on the downtown sidewalks.

I invite you to see some real dirt, and then wish that on Charlotte :shok:

Oh, sorry Cltheel. Sorry for dissing a fellow alum :blush: I lived in New Jersey (on the banks of the Hudson across from Manhattan) for 6 years and I got pretty well-acquainted with all of NJ in that time. Camden is a tragic story of American industry abandoned and it's even more tragic, being across the Delaware from wealthy Philadelphia. You're absolutely right that in the 1950s it was thriving and bustling-but no longer.

There was a good turnout from both sides of the war debate tonight. I found myself in a verbal altercation with a very imposing member of "The Gathering of Eagles". We were minding our own business on our side of the street. He walked right up to me and started screaming "Communist and I hate you blah blah blah". The best route is to ignore but sometimes one can't resist. So I just told him to "go join his group and I had no problem with him protesting but don't harass me". He kept on going on and on. I said " I don't care what you think just leave us alone". The police officer showed up and directed him across the street to where his group was protesting. Throughout the vigil they cursed at our anti-war side and screamed insults. We ignored it because it only shows how trashy they are. A poor representation of reasonable people who may oppose the war for valid reasons. I was given a makeshift tambourine to shake and that was fun :yahoo: The mixture of beliefs and groups and Dilworth Character Willy talking to himself and walking in circles made for a very interesting, urban, non-boring Charlotte scene. I always feel a great buzz after protesting. Regardless of liberal or conservative political persuasion it's always invigorating to make your voice heard.

There was a good turnout from both sides of the war debate tonight. I found myself in a verbal altercation with a very imposing member of "The Gathering of Eagles". We were minding our own business on our side of the street. He walked right up to me and started screaming "Communist and I hate you blah blah blah". The best route is to ignore but sometimes one can't resist. So I just told him to "go join his group and I had no problem with him protesting but don't harass me". He kept on going on and on. I said " I don't care what you think just leave us alone". The police officer showed up and directed him across the street to where his group was protesting. Throughout the vigil they cursed at our anti-war side and screamed insults. We ignored it because it only shows how trashy they are. A poor representation of reasonable people who may oppose the war for valid reasons. I was given a makeshift tambourine to shake and that was fun :yahoo: The mixture of beliefs and groups and Dilworth Character Willy talking to himself and walking in circles made for a very interesting, urban, non-boring Charlotte scene. I always feel a great buzz after protesting. Regardless of liberal or conservative political persuasion it's always invigorating to make your voice heard.

I just don't understand how someone is pro-war. In the least they are mis-named and should be The Gathering of Hawks. And I don't fall for the *support our troops* justification -- i support them so much I'd love to see them home with thier families and loved ones rather than trying to quell a civil war and occupy a foreign country.

North Carolina's copy of the Bill of Rights will be on display at Imaginon downtown from Friday through Sunday. Hours are 9am-6pm on Friday and Saturday and 1pm-6pm on Sunday. The NC State Archives is taking the document around the state to display after recovering it from when it was stolen from the state capital almost 140 years ago.

This won't be boring: Tomorrow night there is a party at The Visulite in Elizabeth called Glitterati. The crowd will be quite mixed, it is the annual party thrown by J Studio so it will be thier clients, friends, anyone who wants to attend, and it is also the site for Takeover Friday for the evening. There will also be dancers all night on podiums throughout the crowd and DJ Wiiz Kid will be spinning. At 11:00 there is going to be a drag show. They have this party once a year -- last year it as a lot of fun. Theme this year is Neon -- neon dress is encouraged but certainly not required.

Archived