Boring Charlotte

King_of_queen

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't understand how someone is pro-war. In the least they are mis-named and should be The Gathering of Hawks. And I don't fall for the *support our troops* justification -- i support them so much I'd love to see them home with thier families and loved ones rather than trying to quell a civil war and occupy a foreign country.

To be fair to their side (with whom I have fundamental philosophical disagreements), they are essentially advocating for victory in the war. They would argue, perhaps rightly, that by evacuating Iraq we would be creating a power vacuum that could destabilize the entire Middle East in the long run. I don't think many of them offer a rational defense of the decision to go to war, but their argument for keeping troops engaged there is a rational one. Misguided perhaps -- time will tell -- but not irrational.

Back to the topic of Charlotte.

The Association for the Study of African American Life and History are in town today through Sunday for their convention. 800 to 1,000 scholars will discuss American civil rights history and the role of Charlotte blacks in American history.

• 1 month later...

Coming soon, operas from The Met will be broadcasted live to theatres around the country. Charlotte will have them at Stonecrest and Concord will show them at Concord Mills. Supposedly they were a huge success last year. Anybody go to them? I'd love to make it but they will be on Saturday afternoons and I work every day they're showing. :(

• 2 months later...

I finally made it back to the weekly Codepink war protest at Scott&East this week. Gathering of Eagles has apparently flown to greener pastures. They have been absent for several weeks. I heard yesterday that they are concentrating on other parts of NC now. I don't miss their ranting and raving and cursing. The one upside we all agreed on was their positive impact on our numbers. We drew many more participants when they showed up.

I'm posting this in the hopes that people won't take this and use it as a political platform for or against the current Presidential administration. IMO, those thoughts are better served in the main Urban Journal Coffee House under a politcal thread.

Anytime ANY powerful political figure visits the city whether you support them or not, I think it is noteworthy and shows that we continue to be an important city. As such, Vice President Dick Cheney will be in Charlotte next Thursday, January 31st to deliver a speech at the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce.

The circus is in town this week. Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey will be having performances at the arena Wednesday through Sunday. If you're interested in seeing the animal parade, they will be getting off the train today around 6pm at Graham and 3rd (then to Poplar to Trade to the Arena).

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish I had my camera today. If the 3rd Ward Park were done it would be packed! Just took the dog for a walk and the sidewalks have so many people out uptown -- the beautiful weather definitely hit everyone on the right day. Old, young, black, white, skateboarders, roller bladers (kids too -- I didn't know people still had these), lots of people taking lots of pictures, bunches of bikers here for some rally, tourists, and residents. This is exactly the kind of day that it is great to be down here. Can't wait to see the crowds tonight.

Side note: went to see 'Dog Sees God' at the Belk Theater in Spirit Square last night. Great play. Take off of Peanuts characters grown up and in high school -- they've definitely taken a turn from their innocent youths! Would highly recommend to anyone that would want a good, inexpensive night downtown and is in the mood to laugh.

http://www.queencitytheatre.com/

I think Charlotte can come across as boring to new residents and visitors because we lack a large urban district where one can leave the car and wander all day. In other large cities you can go "downtown"for the day and walk blocks full of storefronts and cafes with residential above. These settings create a great street life vibe that you can really feel. Uptown will someday have elements of this environment. We have a few scattered blocks here and there that fit the description. There are things to do in Charlotte but it takes some digging and that can be annoying.

I think Charlotte can come across as boring to new residents and visitors because we lack a large urban district where one can leave the car and wander all day. In other large cities you can go "downtown"for the day and walk blocks full of storefronts and cafes with residential above. These settings create a great street life vibe that you can really feel. Uptown will someday have elements of this environment. We have a few scattered blocks here and there that fit the description. There are things to do in Charlotte but it takes some digging and that can be annoying.

At work this week, we had some out of town visitors here for a few days. And one of them commented that they would have liked to have had more time to check out Charlotte. She asked me what there was to do and I totally zoned!

After sitting there with a blank look on my face, I said that if you liked NASCAR, there is a lot of that around. She inquired about tourist attractions and what people do when they visit. I did bring up the Stowe Botanical Garden.

But even after I pondered it further, I am still coming up empty handed. I know this kind of topic has been discussed in the forum before, but I can't remember the heading. I seriously don't think we have any type of "tourist destination" thing that would make people say "We have to go to Charlotte!"

Carowinds - you can find a decent amusement park in almost every major city. The person I was talking to was from Orlando, so she had a slight advantage in the amusement park category! :yahoo:

I am not a boring person, and can tell people at least a dozen cool places to go if they are looking for specifics, but no major attraction. I'm trying to stay away from NASCAR since it only, realistically, pulls people here only twice a year.

Suggestions? Comments? :tough:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived