Raleigh Convention Center

Justin6882

^ :lol:

If you want to check out the progress of the RCC, Salisbury St and the hotel, click here (during the day that is)... starting to take shape over there. If you ahven't been over near the site, you should try to get up in one of the BB&T meeting rooms (2nd floor) on the south side and check out the view... you really get a sense of just how massive this southend/RCC/hotel project is.

You can also get a pretty great view of the site from the stairway at the corner of Wilmington & Cabarrus, on the top floor of the Progress Energy parking deck.

I'm looking out for excavation to start on Site 1...

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ :lol:

If you want to check out the progress of the RCC, Salisbury St and the hotel, click here (during the day that is)... starting to take shape over there. If you ahven't been over near the site, you should try to get up in one of the BB&T meeting rooms (2nd floor) on the south side and check out the view... you really get a sense of just how massive this southend/RCC/hotel project is.

The stairwell of the BB&T parking deck is great too...I only went to about the third floor and could see everything front and center....

I have a question. Is there a possibility that they could at least open the underground exhibit hall before the summer of '08? I am asking because tomorrow I am going to the annual Auto Expo, which has been held at the State Fairgrounds since the old civic center closed. Unfortunately last year, the high-dollar German manufacturers (BMW, Porsche, Mercedes) were no-shows. I guess they feel their ultimate driving machines are too good to display at an agricultural venue! Please tell the powers-that-be to open the exhibit hall early, so that we may have a proper venue for some Stuttgart Steel!

I have a question. Is there a possibility that they could at least open the underground exhibit hall before the summer of '08? I am asking because tomorrow I am going to the annual Auto Expo, which has been held at the State Fairgrounds since the old civic center closed. Unfortunately last year, the high-dollar German manufacturers (BMW, Porsche, Mercedes) were no-shows. I guess they feel their ultimate driving machines are too good to display at an agricultural venue! Please tell the powers-that-be to open the exhibit hall early, so that we may have a proper venue for some Stuttgart Steel!

Crap, I missed it this year. I went last year and had so much fun. :{sodEmoji.|}

• 3 weeks later...

There's an article in the N&O today about the Raleigh Convention Bureau's new chief - pretty impressive resume.

I think that they made a great choice. Bringing an experienced person in from a market like Ft. Lauderdale, where tourism and commercial/residential development are booming, is an excellent fit for Raleigh. Maybe Raleigh leaders are starting to see the light.

Interesting article on VB... looks like the consensus is that Raleigh comes off pretty well, and maybe lucky we didn't get sued too. I think Meeker and others knew from folks in RTP that if we actually built something large enough that could handle the type of conventions we wanted they would happen. I think Meeker also knew that we couldn't afford to wait on approving the hotel een if the design wasn't pretty enough for some. It could have been a disaster to have a long delay on the hotel such that it would not be complete on time for the RCC, and despite some cost increses (that could have been worse), everything is on schedule. :good:

• 1 month later...

It looks like the shimmer wall got a sponsor-Cree.

Story

Thats great to hear. I hope the city is able to get sponsors for the fountain and tower now, though I am certain more will step up to the plate. Would be nice to see RedHat or one of our other locally-based companies step up.

Are we possibly underestimating the potential of the CC. I think developers may also with the hotel space. Great list!

I noticed the international conventions have grown from three to five since the article that compared us to the Virginia Beach CC.

All the news coming out of the CC looks good and I am optimistic. But I think a better indicator of its eventual success is how well bookings go for years 3-5, not in the first two years. Will people still want to come even after our CC isn't the new thing.

I would agree a better forecast for the CC is 3-5 years, but I know word spreads fast and Raleigh is a hot destination. I lived in Denver and they have an unbelievable CC that they just built and now they are getting the Democratic Convention for 08. That is just 2 years after they opened. We are certianly not in the market like Denver but we still are destination like they are.

A rendering for the Cree Shimmer Wall has been posted to the city's website.

It will be on the west/McDowell face of the building. It is sad that it will be seen more by motorists than pedestrians, but it will be a good addtion to the "South Saunders" view of the city, and hides the building's heating and cooling elements. And it will probably use Cree LEDs too. Pedestrians get the plaza, fountain, etc. (with their potential "sponsorship/naming rights") on the Salisbury side.

Cree will probably get their investment back in the first year or so of the CC's operation. $1 million will probably look like a bargain in 5-10 years.

Archived