Raleigh Convention Center

Justin6882

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the people in the article refers to "a great art scene in downtown Raleigh". Can someone please tell me where is this scene? Maybe if they built the new NC Art Museum in downtown then it would qualify? Maybe they are referring to the possible new Contemporary Art Museum?

Are you serious? Everywhere I look DT there are art gallerys and exhibits. Raleigh has one of the most artsy DT's in the nation.

Take a walk or jog around DT. There are all types of hole in the wall art gallerys.

Expect 10 million more in a few months, and 10 million more a few months after that, continued until the completion of the project. That's how these things turn out.

It'll generate new types of demand for services in Raleigh, so it'll pay off anyway. That's also how these things generally turn out.

The payoff will come. But there needs to be some accountability for such a project. Luckily this is a growing revenue source. If it was financed another way, we would probably have a problem. Hard to ask someone else for more money when it is all tapped out (contingency). Costs keep rising and there will be some finger pointing. Plus more revenue the CC take, that means less for other opportunities. Will be interesting to see what happens when it is all said and done.

DwnTwn,

They might also be referring to theatrical arts, NC Symphony, etc. that goes on at the PE Center, Lincoln Center, etc.

You are absolutely correct!

I guess that I am still mad at the fact that so much is going over to Blue Ridge Road/West Raleigh,(NC ART Museum, expanded DPI, and other state positions etc.), when I think that they should be happing in the downtown area. :(

If you are looking for an art scene in downtown Raleigh, tonight is as good a night as any. First Friday will be in full swing, mostly centered around Artspace in City Market. All the gallerys will be open late, and many often have new exhibits. Even Exploris is getting in on the action, with the cafe/gift shop open till 8.

There are other galleries, like Lump, NCSU school of design's fish market student gallery, other galleries in City Market, etc. are open as part of the gallery crawl.

• 3 weeks later...

The city/county approved a ~3% increase in the budget from $215M to $221M.

The following criteria were used as guidelines to evaluate the appropriateness of all value engineering suggestions:

• Do not reduce the revenue production program area (square footage);
  • Minimize the impacts on long-term operating costs;
  • Minimize reduction of quality of completed facility; and,
  • Minimize the impact on schedule delays due to redesign.

Among the reasons that the requested items be included in the project were:

• Carpeting for the high-use lobby floor would require replacing every five to seven years. The stone floor would erase this ongoing expense;
  • Skylights would make the building as transparent as possible from the street; a prominently cited goal of the Livable Street Initiative. Also, without the skylights the entry glazing will be more reflective;
  • Canopies at the Cabarrus entrance would provide additional weather shelter for convention attendees;
    The exhibit hall will be less flexible without the moveable partitions. With one less partition, opportunities for simultaneous events and the size of available halls will be negatively impacted, as will revenue; and
  • The annual operating costs for kitchen equipment will be higher with a lease arrangement.

Hotel and Meals tax is funding the CC entirely isn't it? Local residents aren't feeling anything except those with enough extra change to go out and eat. The increase in property values downtown due soley to the CC will be substantial, resulting in a net gain for local citizens....It seems then that the hotel and meals tax does a nice job of keeping local area wide tax rates down...if you are a county dwelling fiscal conservative this is a great situation for you....

I'm a little surprised that they haven't talked about ditching the artistic vent louvres on the west face of the building. That's not one of those things that will make the building more efficient or marketable like a lot of glass.

I'm a little confused about the west facade of the building. Does anyone think that the framing of this currently looks like it's about 1/3 the width shown in the renderings? (I'm referring to the large beige wall with the thin vertical streaks that is between the bookending blocks of tan on the corners)

citylandscape.jpg

The increase in property values downtown due soley to the CC will be substantial, resulting in a net gain for local citizens....

This needs to be repeated again and again to all the naysayers who say spending tax money downtown is a waste or doesn't benefit the rest of the city/county. Property tax revenue from downtown will be skyrocketing! That will allow the city to improve roads and other infrastructure around the city and keep property tax rates low.

I am very happy that the city is adding more money to the project. My mom and I talked it over (she works at a non-profit for the homeless) and she was all angry that this money couldnt be spent on affordable housing or something like that. But then I realized, it's not like the ocnvention center getting more money has much of a correlation with how much affordable housing gets put in, because if the money wasn't spent on the convention center it probably would've been spent on something counterproductive to urbanity, for instance widening roads in Cary or Holly Springs. So I am very happy they are choosing to spend the money this way AND more importantly, not skimping on any features with the new convention center. If we're going to spend this much money all ready, we might as well go all out and make it a Class A facility.

Just for the record I am ecstatic with the new convention center, and I'm delighted with Raleigh spending enough to do it right.

However, I see alot of convention center designs as I browse the websites of the big famous architecture firms, and Cooper Carry's design for Raleigh kinda looks:

1) dated. It reminds me of something you'd see in one of those 1950's books for 5th graders talking about health, exercise and hygiene. Is it just me?

2) There is something about the design that makes it looks small and almost too "cutesy" or something. Especially the roof line. Maybe it's just me again.

3) I do not like that outward flair of the glass at the entrance. That really makes it look dated to me.

Again, I'm thrilled regardless with this new addition to downtown.

How does everyone else feel?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

NBC story on big news for the RCC... aparently bookings have doubled expectations already and we're still over a year until opening day.

Thanks for the link. That is certainly great news and will give the city strong justification and incentive to continue investing in downtown. Three international conferences really shows how much attention Raleigh is getting not just in the US, but in the rest of the world as well. I'm really excited to see this project already taking off so quickly :yahoo:

"I don't think it's surprising," said Roger Kupra, the convention center director. "We were expecting early success and getting back what was ours as a convention destination."

Haha... wow the odor of bs is strong.

^ :lol:

If you want to check out the progress of the RCC, Salisbury St and the hotel, click here (during the day that is)... starting to take shape over there. If you ahven't been over near the site, you should try to get up in one of the BB&T meeting rooms (2nd floor) on the south side and check out the view... you really get a sense of just how massive this southend/RCC/hotel project is.

Archived