The "dead" University Mall

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mall has been sold to Strode Property Co. out of Dallas, the same group that developed Midtowne. The plan is to demolish University Mall and build a lifestyle center called Park Avenue. The lease that was held by Simon Poperties will be transferred to Strode.

With this news I feel that Target is definitely going to happen and just add to Midtowne and the recently renovated Park Plaza.

The mall has been sold to Strode Property Co. out of Dallas, the same group that developed Midtowne. The plan is to demolish University Mall and build a lifestyle center called Park Avenue. The lease that was held by Simon Poperties will be transferred to Strode.

With this news I feel that Target is definitely going to happen and just add to Midtowne and the recently renovated Park Plaza.

• 9 months later...
Actually Park Plaza was built in the late 50s. It was originally an open-air structure and had a bowling alley on the lower level. It was enclosed sometime after University Mall was built I believe in the mid 70s.

If we could I'd like to backtrack a bit. I'm interested in knowing the order in which the shopping centers developed all along University (Hayes) in the early days. I've heard tell that Town and Country was first, but trying to sort it out from there is a sticky wicket.

Town and Country - 1956

Park Plaza - 1959

University Plaza - ?

K-Mart - ?

Village Shopping Center - ? [Cinema Dome opened in 1966]

University Mall - 1966

Broadmoor Shopping Center - ?

1956 sounds about right for Town and Country. T & C was a big deal. It had a a large grocery store, a Frankes Cafeteria and a number of other stores. I believe Park Plaza was finished by the middle of 58. The Village and K-Mart were both built in 1965/66. 1966 sounds right for University Mall. I have no recollection of the construction of either Broadmoor or University Plaza. If you are in Little Rock you research these dates at the library's Butler Center.

Phil's right on the orientation of the shopping centers at that intersection. Two of the more interesting current tenants at Town & Country as of 2008 are a Vietnamese-Chinese restaurant (Van Lang, with really good spring rolls and iced coffee) and an Oriental grocer (Sam's Oriental). Even though it's very apparent that it's had more than a few years of mileage, I had no idea that it pre-dated Park Plaza, let alone University Mall.

Across University Avenue, I seem to recall University Plaza being revamped sometime during the mid-1980s, but wouldn't have a clue about its original build date.

Phil's right on the orientation of the shopping centers at that intersection. Two of the more interesting current tenants at Town & Country as of 2008 are a Vietnamese-Chinese restaurant (Van Lang, with really good spring rolls and iced coffee) and an Oriental grocer (Sam's Oriental). Even though it's very apparent that it's had more than a few years of mileage, I had no idea that it pre-dated Park Plaza, let alone University Mall.

Across University Avenue, I seem to recall University Plaza being revamped sometime during the mid-1980s, but wouldn't have a clue about its original build date.

My neighbor is the nephew of Mr. Rebseman who donated the land for LRU. At the time, he also owned land across the street where Broadmoor sits. As I currently understand it, he developed Broadmore. I plan to find out more the next time I see him.

Thanks for the leads. Very helpful. I did some scouting around on S. University Avenue this afternoon. I see why the Arkansas Times gave the University Mall site the nod for "Best Vacant Lot" in its new issue. The acres and acres of pavement surrounding the derelict K-Mart could have received the prize for "Worst Vacant Lot."

I was surprised to see so much activity at Town and Country. You can just barely see the original "stainless" steel members beneath the slathered on stucco from a recent renovation. ... Will definitely try Van Lang sometime. It was hopping.

I'm curious, though, why the University & Asher intersection seemed a superior location to 12th & University for shopping plazas in the late 1950s and 1960s. Was the latter intersection already full up? I'm told Villa Italian was around there someplace in the early 50s. Also there are these strange buttresses on one of the buildings in Broadmoor shopping center. A bowling alley, perhaps? I'm guessing these are not holding up the building, but reflect some design hubris.

broadmoor-buttresses-1.jpg

Archived