Favorite Airport

Guest donaltopablo

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashville's is medium sized but it is clean and easy to navigate. It is the third busiest market for southwest after DFW and CHI(Midway). Unfortunately, if your not flying southwest then your only other option is to fly american or fly on a regional carrier. It is my favorite because it rarely experiences delays and it is convenient to get to relative to the other areas of nashville. in the next few years, it will have a rail station connecting it to d-town.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My gripe with MCO is that if you buy a cheap ticket, usually arrive on Delta and leave on Contenental, or United, or in my case, American, you have to exit security, and clear it again 10 minutes later. To me, that bit of inconvenience isn't worth it. at least have a secured train or walkway connecting everything.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, Consumer Reports did a study of the best and worst airports in the United States a few years back.

I *think* that Minneapolis-St Paul came out at #1. I think that Dallas was one of the worst. Not the very worst, but bad. I would have to concur with that.

My personal favorite is the Savannah/Hilton Head airport. It was small, yet had a nice feel to it.

For international, I'd say Hong Kong's Lantau. The old one on Kowloon was absolute garbage. Shanghai's Pudong totally ripped off the architecture, too.

State-side, I've always liked ABQ. It's got such a cool name ("Sunport"), has good connections and services, isn't too crowded, is easy to reach on the ground from the city, and has absolutely free wi-fi in the terminals (just about the only one in the West)!

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to say SFO. San Fran has an open airy feel but still handles a large number of passengers.

Greetings All,

I do not know if any of you have ever had the pleasure of flying to the Middle East. But, without question, Dubai's International Airport has to be one of the most beautiful airports to visit. Being that airports are usually the first glimpse of a country that visitors see, Dubai has done an awesome job of providing visitors with a preview of the engineering and architecture that they will see when visiting the city and the UAE as a whole.

Just a few airports I have enjoyed....

Dulles- Washington-- I love the original terminal building by Saarinen

Changi- Singapore-- As clean and beautiful as any airport I have seen across the globe

Manchester, N.H.-- For a small airport, this one is remarkably nice- much easier to use than Logan

I'm scratching my head to think of others. So many airports are merely utilitarian. I'll edit this post when I have thought of any others.

I'd definitely agree that Savannah-Hilton Head is a very nice airport.

I guess the best airport really depends on exactly what makes an airport good?

Is it how nice an new it is?

Is it the ease from which you can get from one gate to another?

Is it the architecture?

I like the Minneapolis airport because if you have a layover it has great shopping and dining. And, if your layover is a few hours you can get to the Mall of America in 10 minutes via light rail and downtown Minneapolis is about 25 minutes --all for $1.75.

I think it would have to be a combination of all of the factors you have mentioned. I neglected to mention Reagan National Airport in Washington as one of my favorites. The new terminal building by Cesar Pelli is striking. The only problem is the shuttle connection between the two terminals- a bit slow if you ask me.

I really like Portland International Airport, the entire airport was completely renovated and rebuilt a few years ago. It is really simple and easy to use and most of the retailers in the airport are oregon-based businesses such as Powells Books, Pendleton, Nike, Made in Oregon, Norm Thompson and local coffee-retailers.

There is an airport light rail station and a huge glass rood over the drop off/pick up area.

portland_air.jpg

pdx.gif

The airport is 20-25 minutes from downtown.

I really like Portland International Airport, the entire airport was completely renovated and rebuilt a few years ago. It is really simple and easy to use and most of the retailers in the airport are oregon-based businesses such as Powells Books, Pendleton, Nike, Made in Oregon, Norm Thompson and local coffee-retailers.

There is an airport light rail station and a huge glass rood over the drop off/pick up area.

I need to make a trip there this year... I'm looking forward to seeing that place. And a few days in PDX will be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Internationally, I like Munich. An entire shopping mall and easy navigation getting in and out. I prefer it over the London/Stansted Sir Norman Foster-type terminal.

New SFO terminal is great (not the old loop part).

MCO (Orlando) is very functional, but needs a remodel.

San Jose/Mineta is the worst. Chicago can be beautiful at times, but there are several old ikcy terminals there (and it's spread out). Atlanta is easy to figure out, but the domestic terminals are butt ugly.

I flew into and out of Nashville once, and was impressed for such a mid-sized airport.

Fresno actually has a nice new terminal. Idaho Falls has the best very-small terminal I've been to.

Dulles is my favorite airport, without a doubt. My second favorite would be Tampa, perhaps the nicest airport in all of Florida. Charlotte also has a nice airport, I've been there many times.

The worst....Indianapolis has a rather crummy airport. I'm glad that they're building the new midfield terminal that'll be open in a few years. The existing terminal is long in the tooth.

Miami's airport is awful, awful. I never fly into that place. My home is equidistant from MIA and FLL, so I always fly into FLL.

Archived