Gas at $4/gallon?

Snowguy716

Just curious what is the hierarchy of responsibility for this problem. Heres my list.

1. Federal government-for caving to the big money and status quo-for misleading the public for decades and not giving those below options

2. Oil conglomerates-for manipulating the Feds and keeping the "green" tech bottled up in endless legislation and research

3. Automakers-for being arrogant and greed stricken just to keep the profits up; also for manipulating the Feds and public

4. Local (city&county) governments-for years of auto dependent policies keeping the much needed mass transit reforms DOA in this country

5. Gullable average Joe-for being just that; gullable to the point that all of the people above has put the fear of mass transit in each cul-de-sac. Outside of the world cities in this country riding the bus or train is seen as a class distinction. Also blindly believing the "Big" 3 that owning a huge 15-17 mpg SUV is safer and is down right American. For buying that line "We Americans love big cars and trucks". Oh yeah the other automakers share some of this also. As we see now that Toyota and Nissan offer just as big and just as inefficient trucks as Detroit. I am sure thier hearts are bleeding for us as they rack the profits off of ole gullable Joe. Last but not least Joe needs to elect for the future and not some flashy campaign slogan. That includes the Feds and local. Don't just settle for the same old way of thinking. If things are going to change it is going to start with ole gullable Joe.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There for we pay more to the government than we do in Oil Company Profit! More so, that money is used to build freeways, which increases sprawl, which causes us to drive more, which causes us to buy more gas and pay more taxes...

They need to stop spending tax dollars on roads and start spending them on light rail and other public transportation!

other states use more of the gas tax for public transit than 1.67%.

also, the roads still need to be maintained, no matter what way you look at it. in the majority of places, public transit is buses, which need the roads just as much as the cars. i have no problem paying $0.35 per gallon to the gov't for gas if it goes to improved roads (which here are needed) and public transit.

the rest of the money we spend on gas that doesn't go to the gov't or oil company profits goes to the station owners, which is usually pennies to the gallon, and to, as you said, marketing, refining, etc. maybe the oil companies should spend less money on marketing, then they can cut that out of the price. we all know their profits are not going to the research and development of alternative energy sources.

we are talking about where does all the money go? How about the third party buyers, they need to make a profit to stay in business, so I am sure they are making a decent amount from the sale, or am I way off?

You always hear the words "Record Profits", but what is that in relationship to? The federal government takes in more money now than they did ten years ago, "Record Profits"? When you take into account that more people around the globe are driving automobiles than ever before, why wouldn't they be making "Record Profits"? This has become a cliche used to create some kind of boogy man. Should we put a cap on how much profit an oil company can make, and if so, should we do this to all businesses?

In the 70s, they placed the Windfall's Profit Tax on the oil companies for taking advantage of customers in the USA with high prices. Of course when we got an oil man in the Whitehouse, this tax was eliminated and oil companies are free to charge what they like for gasoline now.

The federal government is making record profits? :rofl:

First off, the government is not a for-profit organization, and if it is it would have folded long ago. While they may be taking in more money than before, they are also spending far more than ever before. They have record deficits, not profits.

Why shouldn't the oil industry be making record profits? Because we hear all the time that the industry is in some crisis or another. The industry consistently runs at a fraction of capacity, which has the effect of inflating prices.

If any other business in the world had as many problems as the oil companies claim to, I can assure you they wouldn't be making "record profits."

Surburban Geoge is right. Typically, the stations make about a penny per gallon. I know two places in SC that sold their stations because the stations were no longer profitable after peole boycotted because of 'gouging.'

If you don't have proof of your allegations, you shouldn't make them. If you put caps on the oil industry's profits, you need to do it for every business, that's only fair. If they are doing something illegal, someone needs to prove it in a court of law. You do know we still live in a capitalist system?

The government sure as heck isn't a charitable organization, although too many people in this country think it is. Trust me on this, the government is a for-profit organization. Millions of people in this country and abroad, both rich and poor make money off the federal, state and local governments. You look at the government as an entity, I see it as a money exchange, from my pocket to someone elses. You might as well have Tony Saprano running things in Washington.

If you don't have proof of your allegations, you shouldn't make them. If you put caps on the oil industry's profits, you need to do it for every business, that's only fair. If they are doing something illegal, someone needs to prove it in a court of law. You do know we still live in a capitalist system?

Halliburton is one of the most crooked organizations in the world. And of course, the VP of the United States has a major hand in their management. So, life goes on.

With gas prices here in Connecticut averaging $3.17 a gallon, it's made people more realistic on what they are doing. The state is putting more emphasis on mass transit, Metro North Railroad improvements especially. Meanwhile, some people are dumping out on SUVs and getting more fuel economic cars. Escalades and Hummers to Benzes and Beemers.

Meanwhile, I used to drive a lot on random road trips. While in the past few years I've become more busy with my life, the gas prices are a major inhibitor of being able to drive around. I've cut down significantly on my recreational driving. What were trips to New Jersey to see sporting events or random Sunday drives, those were cut back to nothing. Trips to NYC, they now include Metro North from Southeast (NY). I try to consolidate trips, as well as take a bus back and forth from my apartment to my college campus.

no one said the government is a charitable organization. being non-profit does not equate to being charitable. i don't know where you're getting this idea that the government is making profits. the government is in record debt that is continuing to grow. being in debt means that there aren't profits... that's accounting 101. i want to know who is making money off the government. it's certainly not the government...

you don't think bush and cheney are running things like the mob? the whole cabinet are buddies of bush, many not qualified for their jobs. the oil industry is getting special treatment because of bush... and i won't even mention haliburton.

$3.65 for unleaded regular (87) now in the GR area. One reason for it is that Memorial Day in Michigan means hundreds of thousands head to Northern Michigan to their cottages, gas up their boats, and/or just go on vacation Up North, and the gas stations love to cash in on the onslaught. In fact, the marina gas station near our family's cottage will probably be $4.50 gallon regular this weekend.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6551752

6551752_BG1.jpg

Archived