65 Monroe Center

BigPlayJ

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

wait....

the exterior of this building is going to be a wood look-a-like product??!

**apparently its not look-a-like.. but an actual wood composite material.... but seriously??

Yes, discussed back in March. I had some trepidation about it, but it looks pretty cool on some of the other projects that intovb mentions:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=730665

southside005.jpg

parex2.jpg

It will just be an accent. As far as I know that hasn't changed.:

429651383_4e68b6971e_b.jpg

I checked out 65 Monroe today and have to say I'm not a big fan of the Parlex. I like the idea, but it looks kind of flimsy (lots of waviness in the black). The "wood" at the bottom looks good, but maybe the solid black shows too many of the inperfections of the material.

Never noticed the "rivets" on the edges. The building kind of looks like a leather sofa. :)

Still love the new addition on top, and I think overall it is a cool looking building, but I guess I'll have to wait to see the whole thing once they've put all of the finishing touches on it.

Joe

I checked out 65 Monroe today and have to say I'm not a big fan of the Parlex. I like the idea, but it looks kind of flimsy (lots of waviness in the black). The "wood" at the bottom looks good, but maybe the solid black shows too many of the inperfections of the material.

Never noticed the "rivets" on the edges. The building kind of looks like a leather sofa. :)

Still love the new addition on top, and I think overall it is a cool looking building, but I guess I'll have to wait to see the whole thing once they've put all of the finishing touches on it.

Joe

Now that you say that, I thought the black panels that were up already were not the finished product, but maybe they are. I think the black panels are it, when I look at links for Cembonit (the black is Cembonit, the wood is Parklex):

http://www.cbf11.com/picturespage.html

I'll wait to see how it looks when the whole thing is finished.

Yeah, I thought it was some sort of insulation board, but they have all of the rivets, screws, studs, whatever you would call them over the black as well as the wood.

Joe

Now that you say that, I thought the black panels that were up already were not the finished product, but maybe they are. I think the black panels are it, when I look at links for Cembonit (the black is Cembonit, the wood is Parklex):

http://www.cbf11.com/picturespage.html

I'll wait to see how it looks when the whole thing is finished.

the bottom line in material selections is:

not all materials look as good in person as they do in photos and manufacturer brochures. Buyer beware. I have still to see the perfect modern, affordable material to side a building. Stone, too expensive, stucco, too expensive and hard to maintain, EIFS, too crappy looking after a few years, metal panels, too expensive, wood, not appropriate (IMHO) for urban retail settings, glass too expensive.

If the finish is wavy and not consistent, that will ruin the appeal of this product and will be one of the last times it is spec'ed in W MI. If I was the manufacturer, I would be working night and day (yes, including replacement if needed) to ensure such a high profile location had a great, professional apprearance.

To the specifier: Trust but verify.

the bottom line in material selections is:

not all materials look as good in person as they do in photos and manufacturer brochures. Buyer beware. I have still to see the perfect modern, affordable material to side a building. Stone, too expensive, stucco, too expensive and hard to maintain, EIFS, too crappy looking after a few years, metal panels, too expensive, wood, not appropriate (IMHO) for urban retail settings, glass too expensive.

If the finish is wavy and not consistent, that will ruin the appeal of this product and will be one of the last times it is spec'ed in W MI. If I was the manufacturer, I would be working night and day (yes, including replacement if needed) to ensure such a high profile location had a great, professional apprearance.

To the specifier: Trust but verify.

Great advice. What materials do you like to specify?

I walked by there today and was also not terribly impressed. Do those screws stay visible when completed? If so it's not good. I hope we're just not seeing the finished product yet.

I'm kind of thinking that the screws will still be visible since short of adding little black caps to cover them up, there really isn't a way to conceal them. There won't be any trim to these panels as the gap between them with the black tape lines is one of their features. I actually don't mind seeing the attachments, but the quality of the job then has to be much more meticulous. They can't be at random spacings and through the middle of panels like they are on this building.

Can some get an updated pic of this beast? I'm curious to see how bad it really is...

Why yes, yes I can. The black panels appear to be the Cembonit, because the screws are lined up with the screws on the wood Parklex panels. There still is some trim that needs to go on around the windows in most areas, so it will look a bit more finished when complete. I'm torn on this one. Because the Cembonit has that rough texture, it makes it look like a substrate. For some reason I was expecting a high-gloss finish on the Cembonit, much like the old stone had.

2244213025_ee6e120a58_b.jpg

2244211317_ca56aa4ffb_b.jpg

A trim piece on one of the windows:

2245003894_3652191a93_b.jpg

2245002898_b2e12011f8_b.jpg

I was thinking more like Trespa:

trespa.jpg

Why yes, yes I can. The black panels appear to be the Cembonit, because the screws are lined up with the screws on the wood Parklex panels. There still is some trim that needs to go on around the windows in most areas, so it will look a bit more finished when complete. I'm torn on this one. Because the Cembonit has that rough texture, it makes it look like a substrate. For some reason I was expecting a high-gloss finish on the Cembonit, much like the old stone had.

OMG :sick: .lol that looks awful. the wood panels looked as if they were buckling, the last side view looks like the building was in a terrible accident and had to be all stitched and stapled up. I knew they would wreck that beautiful building

Wow, those close ups look a bit jarring. It looks like an underlayment. Part of it may be the resolution of the photos on my screen, making the seams look like they ripple and wave. It may look better in person. This looks temporary, regardless of the intention.

2244211317_ca56aa4ffb_b.jpg

Wow, I am definitely disappointed. I too think the dull finish of the black makes it look 'unfinished'. It looks like insulation board. Maybe the flat finish will help with the waviness in the material. Can you image how much more drastic the waviness would be if it was glossy and reflecting things?

The 'warping' of the wood parklex material is really evident in this pic. I'm sure it was warranties for outdoor use, but it makes me wonder how it will hold up....

Wow, I am definitely disappointed. I too think the dull finish of the black makes it look 'unfinished'. It looks like insulation board. Maybe the flat finish will help with the waviness in the material. Can you image how much more drastic the waviness would be if it was glossy and reflecting things?

The 'warping' of the wood parklex material is really evident in this pic. I'm sure it was warranties for outdoor use, but it makes me wonder how it will hold up....

I think one issue that may be causing the rippling effect might be the brick underneath. If you remember back up a few posts or pages, they laid sleepers on top of the brick, and then applied the panels.

I got word from the developer that the black panels are the final product, but that several of them are going to replaced.

BTW: Make sure you click on the image to see the larger version. Most of the ripples go away when you do that. I have to also add that ever since my camera fell on the ground a few times, the clarity hasn't been as good as it used to be. :whistling:

BTW: Make sure you click on the image to see the larger version. Most of the ripples go away when you do that. I have to also add that ever since my camera fell on the ground a few times, the clarity hasn't been as good as it used to be. :whistling:

I guess I wasn't commenting on the ripples as much as the color. The panels don't appear to be a consistent color of black once the light hits it. Perhaps in person it looks better. I'll hold off any more judgement on the building until I can get down there to take a look first hand.

Archived