65 Monroe Center

BigPlayJ

Check it out everyone. Some will love it, some will hate it. That's exactly what I set out to do....within my budget at least!

www.virginsoilgr.com

Thanks for the update! It is nice to see some renderings of the site. Personally I like the space and your plans. :thumbsup:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check it out everyone. Some will love it, some will hate it. That's exactly what I set out to do....within my budget at least!

www.virginsoilgr.com

is the black the same materials as it was before? and what is the tan made out of?? i like the design, But it will depend on what it is made of...

I think it's cool! I'll post this for now, but if you want it taken down intovb, just let me know. I think it makes for a very interesting contrast over the predominant Italianate architecture on Monroe Center. It will be a nice surprise as you are walking up Monroe Center and reach Ionia, and maybe it will give people a different focal point other than Morton House.

429612726_8e22b5b4eb_o.jpg

The tan color is called Parklex. it is a resin fiber reinforced panel with a wood-grain finish. No maintenance...

The slate and the lite gray color is Cembonit - it is a concrete fiberboard. They come in 4 x 8 panels - reference Metropolitan Apartments on Ionia.

The building will have a ton of lighting features to it - uplights, the "Eagles Nest" will be lit up again as well. We will also have some potted trees and greenery on the roof so people can see it from Monroe Center.

All of that is in my mind right now - I am very excited about it.

Perhaps a large faux paddlewheel could be added to the side and some large smokestacks on the roof to complete the Mississippi river boat theme? It could be called the Delta Queen Condos.

I think it's cool! I'll post this for now, but if you want it taken down intovb, just let me know. I think it makes for a very interesting contrast over the predominant Italianate architecture on Monroe Center. It will be a nice surprise as you are walking up Monroe Center and reach Ionia, and maybe it will give people a different focal point other than Morton House.

429612726_8e22b5b4eb_o.jpg

Just kidding. In truth, I think it will be a great improvement over the former building and a nice addition to downtown. I just couldn't resist the joke.

I sold another last Friday. Of the 7 condos total I have:

1 - Lower level office. Future home of Virgin Soil Development office

2 - 750 sq ft Main Level - SOLD

3 - 1000 sq ft Main Level - SOLD

4 - 1100 sq ft Main Level - Available

5 - 1100 sq ft Main Level - Available

6 - 1000 sq ft 2nd Story Condo - SOLD

7 - 4000 sq ft 2nd and 3rd story condo - SOLD

The market for smaller condos in the Ren Zone (2017) is still very hot. The location seems to be the biggest selling point.

I sold another last Friday. Of the 7 condos total I have:

1 - Lower level office. Future home of Virgin Soil Development office

2 - 750 sq ft Main Level - SOLD

3 - 1000 sq ft Main Level - SOLD

4 - 1100 sq ft Main Level - Available

5 - 1100 sq ft Main Level - Available

6 - 1000 sq ft 2nd Story Condo - SOLD

7 - 4000 sq ft 2nd and 3rd story condo - SOLD

The market for smaller condos in the Ren Zone (2017) is still very hot. The location seems to be the biggest selling point.

ok.... i am temporarily sold, however! like most of the projects DT i tend to be a flip-flopper so my mind might change. all i ask is that you make it look as good as the picture and you just may make it my favorite building in GR again. Goodluck and godspeed

The tan color is called Parklex. it is a resin fiber reinforced panel with a wood-grain finish. No maintenance...

The slate and the lite gray color is Cembonit - it is a concrete fiberboard. They come in 4 x 8 panels - reference Metropolitan Apartments on Ionia.

The building will have a ton of lighting features to it - uplights, the "Eagles Nest" will be lit up again as well. We will also have some potted trees and greenery on the roof so people can see it from Monroe Center.

All of that is in my mind right now - I am very excited about it.

When you mentioned Parklex and "wood grain", I went :huh: but I found some links that look pretty cool:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...mages&gbv=2

As long as it doesn't look like that fiberboard that they put on the front of the market a couple of doors down. Eesh.

I like the design. I agree I think the location is a strong selling point. In my opinion Monroe Center is the nicest looking street in downtown. I looks very cool at night lit up.

Congratulations and the sale of the condos. I hope the last two sell soon.

I like the design! I especially like the fact that you are lighting the building. I think light is under-utilized as a design element in GR.

Three Questions:

1) When do you start?

2) What is the "Eagle's Nest"? Is it part of one condo or shared access?

3) When are you going to have UP stop by to take a tour?

Joe

I will try to keep up with the questions...

The "Eagles Nest" I am referring to is the two white towers that each bird rest on either side of the doors. They are actually columns that were designed to be illuminated. I am going to put lighting fixtures back into them.

I would love to host a tour to UP - give me a few weeks until the safe gets taken out. Rockford Construction is finishing up the demolition they started last year. It is dusty and quite dangerous at the moment. I would like to get the lofts in on the first floor so you can see the layouts of each unit.

I go before the DDA for my BRIP Grant request on April 11. I plan to close on my construction loan shortly after that meeting - I will then have a "groundbreaking" party. I shall christen the building with an ice cold Miller Lite.

Thank you for all of your comments. You will begin to see some articles come out sporadically in the media outlets...beginning today in the West Michigan Business Review.

I have two new developments I am working on in the downtown CBD - I CAN'T WAIT TO TELL YOU ABOUT THEM...but I must refrain at the moment. They are both VERY interesting.

Thank you for all of your comments. You will begin to see some articles come out sporadically in the media outlets...beginning today in the West Michigan Business Review.

Hey, we're becoming a "media outlet". At 30,000 page views a month, you're probably getting more exposure here than any other Grand Rapids online publication. :shades: I'll have to see if I can get stats on that.

Great to hear!

• 2 months later...

Caught up with Brice a couple of weeks ago about this project. I couldn't work Brice's story about the old bank vault in to the video (though there is a couple of shots of it), but he told me it took a few guys working for over a month and a half to demo the vault... makes you kinda wonder about all those movies where a little explosives does the trick, eh ;)

You can check it out at Rapid Growth

Or, you can see a higher res version over at my vlog

I am personally really looking forward to this building sporting a new outfit...

• 3 months later...

I didn't have my camera with me :( but it looks like some work is beginning on this site. This summer they finished the sidewalk and new access to the lower level. Some clearing of the inside of the first level was beginning too. Last week, there was a small addition (wooden) to the southern/back side of the building. I also saw what looked like new floor joists being lifted through a second story window off of Ionia. Do we know if this site will be all residential? Previously a business was going to move into the lower level, but I was wondering if other businesses are planned for the ground floor with residential living units for the second and third floors.

I didn't have my camera with me :( but it looks like some work is beginning on this site. This summer they finished the sidewalk and new access to the lower level. Some clearing of the inside of the first level was beginning too. Last week, there was a small addition (wooden) to the southern/back side of the building. I also saw what looked like new floor joists being lifted through a second story window off of Ionia. Do we know if this site will be all residential? Previously a business was going to move into the lower level, but I was wondering if other businesses are planned for the ground floor with residential living units for the second and third floors.

Lower level is to be the offices of Virgin Soil the developer of the building. The rest is residential, the top floor being the new home of the developer himself.

Archived