IN PROGRESS: 917 Main Street

beerbeer

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two hot dog shops within a block of each other in Hartford doesn't make much sense. Neither does the fact that Downtown doesn't have a true burger joint. When will someone smarten up and open a 5 guys or similar? I know of at least 10 people from my office who would eat there once a week.

Two hot dog shops within a block of each other in Hartford doesn't make much sense. Neither does the fact that Downtown doesn't have a true burger joint. When will someone smarten up and open a 5 guys or similar? I know of at least 10 people from my office who would eat there once a week.

I was actually just thinking about that after I posted my response. I think a burger joint that explicity markets itself as such could do well especially if it's just more of a lunch/take out type of place and obviously if the burgers were great. Just like 5 Guys, which is pretty awesome. I'm not even sure it would need a bar or anything.

No, I actually have not been out in a while. I was thinking about going out last week, but never actually made it anywhere. I heard it's been pretty nice out lately though. I'm hearing that Cloud 9 has been good since it opened and The Emporer has found it's footing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

OK, so the city is now posting meeting minutes online for planning and zoning so it is easier to keep things updated here.

http://www.hartford.gov/Development/planni...2022409%202.pdf

This PDF shows that Nyberg is working to get the resturant opened ASAP.

the city apparently takes objection with the pitched roof. they want a flat roof and railings and trellis.

all the info is on Pg 4 and 5 of the PDF

image002.gif

• 2 months later...

I have heard nothing more, so now I have doubts, but to be fair I do not have a ton of contact there. Maybe State House Square made some lease concessions as well. we will see what I can find out.

RE Nyberg, I dont know if you say my post in the Asylum hill thread, but with the trouble he was having with the city in Asylum hill, as well as trouble getting the additional certificates of occupancy at 917, I could completely see why he would not rush to dump a ton more money into the facade untill he gets the aprovals he is after.

This stuff clearly takes time and some mistakes were made.

I am hopefull that with Kyto moving forward, and the recent approvals in Asylum Hill, Nybergs troubles are begining to fall behind him. (I think there was some issue with some buildings he was doing in New Haven to)

As the econemy heads for recovery I am guessing more people will be willing to open businesses, or spend the money to relocate businesses. and then Nyberg might feel like spending money he does not need to spend.

only thing though is that I do not remember what the status on the other 30 Co's for this building.

Fiona stone used to be in the goodwin before she moved to Pratt, the mistake there was that Pratt would be better for business. It will be some day, but unless hotel guests know where you are, and unless high end hotel guests(that obviously no longer go to the Goodwin) are around, you are sunk.

I honestly do think that the best place for retail in Hartford is anywhere close to the Hotels. since no location really has a concentration of Hotels, Front Street will likely end up as the best place for true retail. but we will see.

as far as the coffee shop, it wad a captive market in SHS

If the coffee shop were to move next to woodies I think they would suffer. State house square was a captive audience, and Dunkin now firmly controlls the coffee market. right out the front door, you are much more visable and have a good reputation, so they would now be going toe to toe against you. I do not think thats a great move. in face If I were you I would start banking Dpeils style cookies and put out a big sign that says "we have your cookie fix right here"

if the word gets out at all, you will definately do well for it. the ladies I work with are big cookie fans.

but it was the little market that was going to move. his rent is going up and he is/was not happy. Maybe I will go buy lotto today and ask him again

Funny we were just talking about this the other day. After all this time, the facade this morning is now covered in scaffolding and a plywood structure. I assume this means the facade at street level is going to finally be finished. Thats great to see.

I thought the same thing. I was off yesterday and this AM, but about an hour ago I looked out the window and was suprised to see such a change.

It looks from my angl that some of the windows have been removed as well.

I am curious whats actually going on because it appears to be more about the retail space than the facade.

could Nyberg have signed a tenant?

I did hear again that the State House Square market is moving to that building in September.

I have my camera in my car, so I will head out and grab it to snap a few pics of this change

I thought the same thing. I was off yesterday and this AM, but about an hour ago I looked out the window and was suprised to see such a change.

It looks from my angl that some of the windows have been removed as well.

I am curious whats actually going on because it appears to be more about the retail space than the facade.

I saw the renderings of the facade (by this, I mean only at street level) last summer and it was impressive looking. The first floor exterior was marble up to where the second story began and the awnings and signs were all uniformly designed. The sidewalk was redone with pavers (its a a mess now) and new trees were planted out front. Hopefully this is still the plan.

• 1 month later...

So I went to the design review board meeting on Tuesday only for it to me canceled. the developers design was not ready. so it will likely be 2 more weeks untill we get a rendering or whatever.

in the mean time I will keep you up to date on the progress happening behind that wall.

they are just doing the basic work they should have done 1 year ago.

pictures.... sure here ya go.

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg