IN PROGRESS: 917 Main Street

beerbeer

Hartford inspectors are notorious for bleeding businesses dry. Thye ask for change after change after change until the money is gone and all that is left is an empty store front. Ask Corny Thompson.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The building itself provides no parking.

Mikel, really, its called context.

In general people in CT require parking at their residence so they can get places further away. Hartford is not quite the big city many of us wish it were, so people generally still need cars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went in there the other day when they had an open house. the units were nice. very open and spacious and some pretty good views. Every floor was the same and there were 1-2 bedrooms. I remember the prices being very nice too - between 900 and 1000 for a 1 bedroom. The only problem is that there was no parking available. they could give you a yearly purchased spot at the temple street townhouses garage, but other than than they had no options.

i think they should buy that lot on the corner of main and asylum and redevelop that into a parking garage, maybe add a skywalk over pratt street directly in the building. a greater parking structure there could help out Pratt street which seems to be suffering from lack of parking.

I went in there the other day when they had an open house. the units were nice. very open and spacious and some pretty good views. Every floor was the same and there were 1-2 bedrooms. I remember the prices being very nice too - between 900 and 1000 for a 1 bedroom. The only problem is that there was no parking available. they could give you a yearly purchased spot at the temple street townhouses garage, but other than than they had no options.

I think they should buy that lot on the corner of main and asylum and redevelop that into a parking garage, maybe add a skywalk over pratt street directly in the building. A greater parking structure there could help out Pratt street which seems to be suffering from lack of parking.

i think they should buy that lot on the corner of main and asylum and redevelop that into a parking garage, maybe add a skywalk over pratt street directly in the building. a greater parking structure there could help out Pratt street which seems to be suffering from lack of parking.

• 2 weeks later...
When I was looking at the unit the agent just said the units were "going fast." I they were saying that a lot of them would be ready for move in on May 1st. I agree that it'll probably be some time before people start moving in.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a look at these apartments today. Because they were going to be more geared towards recent college grads and young professionals, I wasn't expecting much. I was wrong. These apartments are very nice and very spacious ( I looked at 1600 sq ft and a 1700 sq ft units). I was very impressed.... granite countertop kitchen, large bathrooms, french doors, extensive moldings, etc. They are definitely worth a look for anyone looking for a place to live.

I took a look at these apartments today. Because they were going to be more geared towards recent college grads and young professionals, I wasn't expecting much. I was wrong. These apartments are very nice and very spacious ( I looked at 1600 sq ft and a 1700 sq ft units). I was very impressed.... granite countertop kitchen, large bathrooms, french doors, extensive moldings, etc. They are definitely worth a look for anyone looking for a place to live.

• 2 weeks later...
I really hope both parties come to some kind of an agreement. this building looks great, and looks like it could be opened quickly if they could come in live with code. That place would really do wonders for downtows vibrancy. incredibly visable and its a venue currently non existant within the city. Blu and Pigs Eye are not going to draw tourists and suburbanites, let alone throngs of Happy hour attendees a rooftop sushi and wine bar would.

There were multiple changes, but most projects will have changes made. Just look at the Science Center, didn't that need two modifications to it's over hang show piece? I won't say that is shooting from the hip. And the roof top concept was there in the very beginning. This has nothing to do with they are not complying with building code. This is being held up by the zoning board.

I think you are taking my post as an attack on the business owner. It is not. I stand by my observations based on what I saw and heard as I checked in on the project most days while walking down Pratt. It is not uncommon in construction for customers to make changes on the whim and change things after they are started. I used to run a construction company and before that worked in the trades. I saw elements of the building be built, then looked at by the owners and changed right away or changed a day or even a week later.

I am sure that the problem lies in red tape. I am sure it also lies in some detail that was redesigned making the addition non conforming. I doubt there are many people in this city more eagerly awaiting this place than I. I am a fan of the building, I am a fan the owners, I am a fan of Koji, and I plan on being a regular at Kyto purely for those reasons. The owners are detail oriented people and I know the reason for every little change order is to create precisely the feel that they are after. This is key in hospitality, so I hope that they get what they want. But I also know the city would not stop the whole project over nothing.

maybe cool heads will pervail on both sides and like I said a middle ground can be found and a compromised plan approved.

lets open this place and bring life to downtown all ready!

Archived