RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

As I am restricted to my home for a while,(surgery), I would greatly appreciate anyone adding any new photo's of this project. It will be a while before I can drive again. And I know it's only the first or second floor being done right now but I would love seeing the beginnings of this new high-rise. Thank you in advance for sharing your photo's! :D

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just on the RBC Plaza Condo's website, rbcplazacondos.com, when I noticed a message on the right hand side, (just above the picture of the Marriott Hotel). It reads, "Live Construction Camera", (click here to open in new window). But nothing comes up. I don't have a block for popups. So I was wondering if anyone else has had luck with this? It would be cool to see the building go up from an angle that I am sure only RBC could provide. Thoughts anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

When I drove by last night, workers were walking on the lobby/ground floor's ceiling that fronts F Street. I don't think it goes all the way to the corner, allowing for an open atrium. Or they haven't finished it yet. I didn't get a look at the Martin or Wilmington sides.

I think the entire parking deck is above ground. At least it adds to the height.

Yes...all parking is incorporated into the total height and will be above ground. All Mechanical typically goes on the roof top. notice there is the narrow strip on the top floor next to the spire.This is where most of the Mechanical should be located.

While I was watching the ground work of this building beginning I noticed that they have built a sub-basement. My thought is that they had to build there "vault" perhaps? Or maybe just some other type of sub flooring? Either way it certainly was interesting to see a large and tall completely concrete underground room and then lay the mound over it, which they did. Who knows,(other than RBC of course!)? It took some time to do that and now they are more focused on the parking deck of this mixed use building. Go! RBC Go! :yahoo:

Utility access comes to mind...main sprinkler and water shutoffs, communications etc. that stuff is all in the basement of my building...

That does make a lot more sense for them to add those things in the basement then to put that kind of stuff on the roof. But at least they are beyond that now and hopefully they will move a bit faster with it completed and behind them? Like I said, Go! RBC Go!

I keep looking when I go over the Boylan bridge, which is like several times a day, hoping they have jacked the crane up some. I know patience is a virtue but i am ready to see the crane at full height.

The Crane stated out at 164' and will be awhile before it is jacked up. Maybe after the Parking Garage section is complete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The designs are indeed very similar.

300 S Tryon in Charlotte has a larger footprint, and the ratio of office floors to residential floors is lower than in RBC plaza, which in my opinion gives it somewhat better proportions. I also like the balcony treatment for the Charlotte tower better than I like RBC plaza. The RBC tower in Raleigh will nevertheless be a great addition to the city. IMO, the "skyline factor" of any building is also far less important than sheer density and urban form.

Archived