RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

I drove by there today, and they already have a crane up. It's a small one, i think just for moving those trees I love so much, but hey! It's progress!!!

Meanwhile soliel just kinda sits. What is up with them?

I saw it also.

It looked like they were putting some heating/cooling ducts on the roof or the Hudson.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. I meant floor to ceiling. However I don't think that hotels are built on 15-foot rises, are they? I'd be shocked if Soleil put floors every 15' and dropped a ceiling in 7' below? My point is that if Soleil goes on a 12 or 10 foot tall separation between floor, more floors will fit into a 480' height than there are in the RBC building. RBC is essentially an office building, plus the spire, which is included in that 540' number.

BTW, the last I heard was that Soleil's groundbreaking is next month. I wonder if they are doing any redesign to push it up. I wonder how much redesign would have to be done to offer 10' ceilings in the units. I'm not an engineer.

I had initially heard that the ground breaking would be in October, but then just last week,(I think it was on WRAL/news), I heard it was changing to November? :(

^^^Even after RBC,Site 1, and Reynolds are complete...I think there will be another shortage. I expect at least 2-3 towers of greater magnitude to be proposed by 2009. I also expect Raleighs population to break the 400k level by the end of 2009

I was thinking that too. The Reynolds tend to build according to presold space. So only site 1 and RBC are offering much now and that is being spoken for very quickly. 2008 will likely see more announcements...continuing momentum indeed....

^^^Even after RBC,Site 1, and Reynolds are complete...I think there will be another shortage. I expect at least 2-3 towers of greater magnitude to be proposed by 2009. I also expect Raleighs population to break the 400k level by the end of 2009

WOW! To go from 350,000 people in July 2006 to 400,000 people by Dec 2009 would be amazing! A bit on the "Way out there side", but stranger things have happened. Hopfully nothing bad happens to stop the growth allowing this to happen? :blink:

WOW! To go from 350,000 people in July 2006 to 400,000 people by Dec 2009 would be amazing! A bit on the "Way out there side", but stranger things have happened. Hopfully nothing bad happens to stop the growth allowing this to happen? :blink:

The last figure I can recall was that there are about 65 people moving to Raleigh per day. Over three years, that is an additional 71,175 people. Add that to 353,000 and you get 424,175. The daily number could be significantly different, or it could be that there are 65 people moving into Wake County per day. I honestly don't remember, but suffice it to say that 400,000 in city limits is not out of reach by the end of the decade. Keep in mind that only six years ago we had 276,000. That's 77,000 people in six years.

^^^Even after RBC,Site 1, and Reynolds are complete...I think there will be another shortage. I expect at least 2-3 towers of greater magnitude to be proposed by 2009.

I'd surely hope the same thing. I would absolutely love for someone to come into downtown Raleigh and break this trend of 30 story buildings. In my opinion, taller the better. Now given what we currently have, I don't think building a 60 story building would look right. But let a couple 40 story buildings go up, and then put in 50 or 60 story and things would look even. Do I think that Raleigh will ever get to 60 stories? I can only hope.

If something was that tall down there, you would be able to see it from all over Raleigh.

The last figure I can recall was that there are about 65 people moving to Raleigh per day. Over three years, that is an additional 71,175 people. Add that to 353,000 and you get 424,175. The daily number could be significantly different, or it could be that there are 65 people moving into Wake County per day. I honestly don't remember, but suffice it to say that 400,000 in city limits is not out of reach by the end of the decade. Keep in mind that only six years ago we had 276,000. That's 77,000 people in six years.

65 per day is a good figure.But it does not reflect those that leave the area.However I am sure this is a small #. I was basing this off the recent 14K addition from July 05- July 06. :thumbsup:

I would love to buy something DT but the prices keep getting pushed up by flippers and real estate agents....yeah I'm talking about you Ann Cabell....

The market will be saturated in a few years and I see these prices going down. Highrise condos are new to Raleigh and just like anything recently offered to the general public, It will be high priced at first. Example: last year at Christmas, 360 video systems were wait listed and being sold for up to $1000. Now they are a dime a dozen.

I would love to buy something DT but the prices keep getting pushed up by flippers and real estate agents....yeah I'm talking about you Ann Cabell....

Downtown real estate is still quite cheap, both by local standards, and nationally. If anything, the upward push has been accentuated by the influx of new residents from other cities with much higher real estate costs. Folks moving from cities as close as DC are coming from markets where a 2BR, 1100SF townhouse in the suburbs sells for $380k. If you bought in those markets in 2000 or 2001, you've got $250k+ in equity to spend, regardless of the drop in salary you see when you leave those areas.

As advertised in Sunday's N&O:

RBC Plaza Condos - sales website for the condos.

They have floor plans, but no prices...

As far as buying downtown, I may be trading up for more space, but am staying on the east side. Houses for less than the price of condos, close but not in the center of it all.

Looks like they are going for $270 to $390 per sq ft. depending on the floorplan and floor.

My wife and I were going to put $$ down to reserve one of these (we already have a condo downtown) but there were people lining up before the office even opened. By the end of the day, all of the lowest priced 2 bedrooms were reserved. And you know the majority of these reservations were not made by people who plan on purchasing as a primary residence.

Archived