Street Level Retail in Downtown Charlotte

monsoon

Are they developing Great Retail in Downtown Charlotte?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Are they developing Great Retail in Downtown Charlotte? (Please read the Link first)

• No - It still misses the mark, too much focus on the building, not people
    • Yes - It great and getting better
    • I don't believe that document

I see. So its more of a franchise operation than a company run operation?

It is ran similar to the La Unica Taqueria mexican restaurants from what I understand where the owner has the right to use the logo, name, etc. but the menu is different from place to place for example. If you go to Rock Bottom's website you'll notice that the Charlotte location isn't listed, neither is the Atlanta location. I've heard before that those two locations are owned by the same entity but I'm not certain.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's right, I've been to other Rock Bottoms in other cities and they are not the same menu, and even think the logo might be different, but I'm not sure of that.

Rock Bottom's map doesn't include the Atlanta or Charlotte locations on their map of locations, either. It might just be an iPhone-iPhone thing, where it is the same name, but different thing, and they've worked out a copyright arrangement.

http://www.rockbottomrestaurantsinc.com/Ro...mp;SiteID=10000

Have also been to other Rock Bottoms (pretty sure anyway, is a popular name) but assumed they were not associated, like local "Rome Pizzerias" in many cities. Also think the logos were different but wouldn't swear to it. I had asked a waitron at the CLT location, she said that Atlanta and CLT were the only two locations and that ATL was the original one. Anyway, I'm a fan of their beer (and the food is nearly 3 star itself), and the open street transparent design is a great example for others to follow. Then again, if I see a vat of beer in a window I am going to succumb to the "street level presence" every time. :)

They have them all over the country, same logo...I've been to them in Charlotte, Atlanta, Boston and Portland, and seen then elsewhere.

I inquired about this several years ago, and I believe the answer I go was Rock Bottom operates several company owned locations, but also has franchise locations that must offer a similar menu and are supplied with the same ingrediants for their beers. I believe Charlotte is a franchise location.

Even McDonalds is like this. Some are company owned stores and others are owned by franchisers who are free to make some changes to the menu over the corporate stores. If it has a corporate chain logo, then I don't think it counts as what most people would consider a local eaterie.

I actually wondered about this the a couple months ago and searched around on the internet. Gordon Biersch has a licensing agreement to use the Rock Bottom name at these two locations following a previous relationship between the two companies. This is different from a franchise because Gordon Biersch does not pay a royalty or fee to Rock Bottom to operate these restaurants. In their 2006 Financial SEC filings it mentions Rock Bottom has gone to arbitration alleging Gordon Biersch violated their agreement, not sure the status of this, but if it went through these locations would have to be re-branded. Hope this answers the questions about these locations, and as metro said this is not a local eaterie instead it is the product of two national brands.

• 2 months later...

Forgot about this for a bit, 3 weeks ago we had Brewfest here in GSO, Rock Bottom was there with a couple of their beers, and their brewmaster was very clear on the subject - they are not a chain, ATL and CLT are the only locations. So perhaps it can be considered a local eaterie (if not for the ATL location). Does CLT have some form of an Octoberfest or beer fest? This is the 2nd year for GSO's though it is held at the colliseum so really it is missing a great opportunity to be held in an outdoor downtown like venue.

^That's strange. This website shows Rock Bottom restaurant and brewery locations and the only states listed are primarily in the Midwest, NE, and West Coast. NC and GA aren't even listed as having locations:

http://www.rockbottomrestaurantsinc.com/Ro...mp;SiteID=10000

But then, there's this separate site that reflects just the CLT and ATL locations:

http://www.rockbottomsouth.com/index.php?pg=location

The logos and layouts for both sites are nearly identical, but the menu options and beer are totally different. Must be that CLT and ATL are franchises of the corporate chain or otherwise affiliated somehow?

RockBottom Charlotte and Atlanta are part of the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant chain. Gordon Biersch has about 30 stores, located across the country, from California to DC. RockBottom Inc. has about 30 stores as well, including the RockBottom Denver, which is featured in the last season of Real World. If you guys think this is confusing, you should try working there and explaining to guests why there $100 RockBottom gift card can not be used after they have eaten and entire meal!!

RockBottom Charlotte and Atlanta are part of the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant chain. Gordon Biersch has about 30 stores, located across the country, from California to DC. RockBottom Inc. has about 30 stores as well, including the RockBottom Denver, which is featured in the last season of Real World. If you guys think this is confusing, you should try working there and explaining to guests why there $100 RockBottom gift card can not be used after they have eaten and entire meal!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Groucho's Deli has closed beside Capital Grille on 5th Street. I will really miss this place -- the food was awesome. They had hot deli sandwiches served with a side "dipper" of homemade dressing that was just incredible. I'm craving an STP Dipper sandwich right now just thinking of it. I was just there the other week and it seemed like business as usual, but I walked by yesterday and the windows were papered up and lettering was torn off the Windows. They apparently aren't moving either -- they no longer list Charlotte on the current locations or as coming soon on the website. I think they suffered from weird hours, honestly. They were only open until 4:00 p.m. If they had stayed open late, they could have made a fortune on the late night after-bar crowd.

It really surprises me to see this move now instead of months or years ago. I can't imagine that business declined, and if the business was really always suffering, why would they choose to pull out right before a ton of new residents at the Avenue and Trademark would be moving in? The Avenue would have been a great asset to them -- it's basically downstairs from it!

That just pisses me off. I want my STP dipper NOW! :(

Groucho's Deli has closed beside Capital Grille on 5th Street. I will really miss this place -- the food was awesome. They had hot deli sandwiches served with a side "dipper" of homemade dressing that was just incredible. I'm craving an STP Dipper sandwich right now just thinking of it. I was just there the other week and it seemed like business as usual, but I walked by yesterday and the windows were papered up and lettering was torn off the Windows. They apparently aren't moving either -- they no longer list Charlotte on the current locations or as coming soon on the website. I think they suffered from weird hours, honestly. They were only open until 4:00 p.m. If they had stayed open late, they could have made a fortune on the late night after-bar crowd.

It really surprises me to see this move now instead of months or years ago. I can't imagine that business declined, and if the business was really always suffering, why would they choose to pull out right before a ton of new residents at the Avenue and Trademark would be moving in? The Avenue would have been a great asset to them -- it's basically downstairs from it!

That just pisses me off. I want my STP dipper NOW! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived