Street Level Retail in Downtown Charlotte

monsoon

Are they developing Great Retail in Downtown Charlotte?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Are they developing Great Retail in Downtown Charlotte? (Please read the Link first)

• No - It still misses the mark, too much focus on the building, not people
    • Yes - It great and getting better
    • I don't believe that document

• 1 month later...

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Builder's Building? That is a good spot. I just walked by there the other day and didn't see anything, but I guess I'll look again.

I'd really like the green tile building to also have street retail, so we can get something going on West Trade to fill the gap between Gateway and Tryon. With retail on the ground of Trademark, and the new residents nearby, I believe it could work. But then again, so of the other gaps where this is only surface parking would also need to be built up to help create a district.

It also might be that it was all too early. Now, you have McCormick and Schmick pulling in lots of people after hours to that corner. You also have Ruth Chris about to do the same thing, and the other retail in 230 S Tryon. You also have three major residential projects going in within a block of it (Trademark, 230 S Tryon, The Trust), which could help to support a store with the right products.

Anyway, I was so excited to see that little spot, I'm really disappointed to hear that it hasn't been able to make things work.

I actually tried to get some pics of bijoux 12 earlier but some bike cop asked me not to snap a picture inside the window. I had to snap and run, so there not that good, but you can basically get the gist of it. they sell watches, neck ties, mens and womens hats, shades and miscellaneous stuff. Its more of an accessories store. :camera:

OplCommandServlet2.jpg

OplCommandServlet1.jpg

OplCommandServlet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
It was a neat store, but that street is kinda dead in that block. There used to be a men's store across the street from the old Authentic Modern space...and it didn't last long there either.

I think you are right dubone that with the right signage and maybe something on Tryon St directing pedestrians to the space could make it work for a retail tenet.

• 5 weeks later...

Gold Pepper Grill has closed its doors. For those of you who are not familiar, this was located sort of in the Ivey's building, behind Grand Central, and next to the Subway and Showmars. Famous for their Taco Salad, GPG will be missed.

thats good, I am hesitant to get excited when I hear about the wachovia retail because it probably will have to be accesed through the building or something that makes it less easy to hop in and out. Street side cafes and stores are what we need... but I dont expect it to be too long :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd give a review of the addition of some decent street level retail in Uptown - the Quizno's sub and KokoMo's Coffee are now in full operation at the Courthouse Plaza parking deck area! These two new stores have already created an extremely lively plaza streetscape in an area that used to be pretty devoid of people. With the opening of the new Courthouse, the intersection of McDowell and 4th Street is bustling.

Quizno's is, well...quizno's...but it's another option for lunch in this area besides Green's East and Showmar's in Govt Center. The great part is they have outdoor seating with umbrellas and I'm glad to say that most days (usually around lunchtime) these tables are full of people relaxing and eating.

KoKoMo's coffeehouse just opened up last week some time. They are a local business with another store up on Eastfield Rd./Prosperity so this is their second shop. Very relaxing/industrial unfinished sort of feel to the inside of the store. Great views through floor to ceiling windows of the new Courthouse and busy streets outside. Free Wi-Fi (yes!!!!), and the coffee is great. They serve the usual coffee, espresso drinks, etc, and also serve frozen coffee drinks and fruit smoothies too. They have a small but good selection of desserts and offer a simple breakfast menu. KoKoMo's website is kokomoscoffee.com.

There are two more storefronts there - hopefully a couple more businesses will come in soon to make this an even more lively scene.

I didn't have a camera to take pictures... maybe someone else on UP could snap some shots of the scene.

In the business journal it says that H and M is eying Charlotte. I didn't read the full version, but it seems like Uptown would be a good place for them to put a store. A place like H and M (unlike Gap/Banana Republic) would be able to bring people uptown since it would be the only location in the area and would be very popular. So do you guys think theres any chance they put a store uptown?

I agree that this would be an amazing draw if located Uptown, but sadly, most stores looking at locating here, would not likely take a risk on an uptown location. They are not coming here interested in charitibly supporting the rebirth of the inner city. They are coming here to reach the most customers and the most money, and those customers and money are found in the malls, especially SouthPark and Concord Mills.

I would like to see a restaurant on College or Tryon that serves regular, non-fancy, American food. A place like Elmo's if you've ever eaten there in Carrboro or any other decent diner I guess. A place that has class and style, but everyday people can go to and not worry about being dressed appropriately or being outpriced. I think it would do TONS of business.

• 3 weeks later...

So this article is saying that the first two Novare buildings on the old Duke power building site will have 40k sqft of retail. Possibly more in the Twelve building next door once it is finished. The Trump site is rumored by some of our members to have 200k sqft of retail on 2 levels at the Stonewall and Tryon site. We dont know how that retail will be oriented to the street, but its 200k none the less. In between these two projects is Wachovia's mega project which will have 70% (anyone know the sqare footage?) of the ground floor of the site dedicated to retail. Add to that, the current retail along Tryon, the Green, and the future retail at 300 S. Tryon.

Will this be the first true stroll district in uptown? Helping to round all this out is a decent mixture of uses around these blocks. Museums, Theatres, Office towers, 2 different stadiums, Wake Forest U., AACC, 3rd ward park, Hotels, and a dense concentration of residential towers. All these uses, bringing all different people, at differnt times of the day helping to create a 24hr district. Or will it? Does South Park have a choke hold on the upscale retail (which I'm guessing would be more ideal on this side of the city)? Will most of this retail turn into more restaurants which has become the norm for uptown?

The problems I see are the streetscape of 400 S. Tryon and the parking decks along Church st. If retail space can be made out of the street level of decks it would be huge, especially opposite the 3rd ward park.

Thoughts?

I think that with the Trump development there will be no skimping on the upscale retail. This is just because Trump carries that connotation of luxury. The whole S. Tryon area is really putting itself on the map with all of the development. Uptown already has enough restaurants, well upscale ones anyway so it would be smart to place a more diverse selection of retail.

So this article is saying that the first two Novare buildings on the old Duke power building site will have 40k sqft of retail. Possibly more in the Twelve building next door once it is finished. The Trump site is rumored by some of our members to have 200k sqft of retail on 2 levels at the Stonewall and Tryon site. We dont know how that retail will be oriented to the street, but its 200k none the less. In between these two projects is Wachovia's mega project which will have 70% (anyone know the sqare footage?) of the ground floor of the site dedicated to retail. Add to that, the current retail along Tryon, the Green, and the future retail at 300 S. Tryon.

Thoughts?

Archived