South Carolina's "Beautiful Places"

GvilleSC

Yes. Highway 11 eventually ends up at I-85 near the SC-GA state line. (Seen Here) It is called, "The Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway." I recommend getting off the beaten path by taking random roads that intersect with the highway. Some of these offer much more scenery than you get on the highway itself. :)

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I knew how long the drive from Atlanta to Montgomery is, I could answer that. That's the only stretch of 85 I haven't driven.

:lol: no, no, on Hwy 11 from 85 to 85. Though, that is quite a question... one end of 85 to the other. The best way to see the Southeast :silly:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know how long it takes to drive from one end at 85 to the other end at 85?

I've driven that route a few times. It's really worth it in the fall. I'd guess about a hour and a half to two to drive the whole route, from I'85 in Gaffney to I'85 at the Georgia line.

Lots of folks make the tour on the weekend.

A picture of the area just north of Hwy 11, and off Hwy 276:

847995791_fab3321c2d_b.jpg

This is the beginning of the trail to Raven Cliff falls, at Caesar's Head State Park, in northern Greenville County, SC. The trail head is just off Hwy 276, where the moist undergrowth is made up of several acres of native ferns.

To see the original photo, go here

I've driven that route a few times. It's really worth it in the fall. I'd guess about a hour and a half to two to drive the whole route, from I'85 in Gaffney to I'85 at the Georgia line.

Lots of folks make the tour on the weekend.

A picture of the area just north of Hwy 11, and off Hwy 276:

847995791_fab3321c2d_b.jpg

This is the beginning of the trail to Raven Cliff falls, at Caesar's Head State Park, in northern Greenville County, SC. The trail head is just off Hwy 276, where the moist undergrowth is made up of several acres of native ferns.

To see the original photo, go here

That looks awesome.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

One of only three Frank Lloyd Wright designed structures in South Carolina: "Broad Margin", located in the beautiful setting of the North Main neighborhood in Greenville:

2464703445_295b725421.jpg

The two other Frank Lloyd Wright buildings in SC can be found in Beaufort County and are located on the same property.

Also in Greenville, in downtown's historic Court Square, are planters designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. You can see these here on the Greenville Daily Photo website from Jan. 22, 2007: Frank Lloyd Wright planters

If I knew how long the drive from Atlanta to Montgomery is, I could answer that. That's the only stretch of 85 I haven't driven.

The only stretch of I-85 I haven't been on is the part between Auburn, AL and Montgomery, AL. I want to do it one day just to say I have driven I-85 into its entirety. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently went to St Helena Island, just outside of Beaufort, to see the Penn Center (formerly Penn School). The historic Penn Center campus is one of only three National Historic Landmark Districts in the state of South Carolina. There's a lot of history at this place. If you've never been, you should check it out. It's probably the single most important African-American history sites in the state.

THE PENN CENTER CAMPUS:

Oaks and Spanish Moss:

3323489430_a1eb9b68b1.jpg

A house on the campus, built in the early 20th century:

3322645961_4b8d256fcf.jpg

Historical marker:

3323472088_f71e7567ba.jpg

Penn School:

3323467698_899a30294a.jpg

The view from the MLK cottage. MLK often visted the island as a safe place to meet with whites. The cottage was built for him as a place to meet and write speeches. He was shot and killed just before its completion, thus never actually having the opportunity to use the facility. Beautiful location, though:

3322629647_ed01998e88.jpg

ST HELENA ISLAND, away from the campus:

Low Country beauty:

3323451780_372da3cf3c.jpg

Chapel of Ease:

3323445656_e52d552cee.jpg

The chapel was burned by a forest fire, now sits in ruins:

3323457394_3876ccb9bf.jpg

You can read more about the Penn School and Penn Center here: http://www.penncenter.com/

• 1 month later...

Below are a handful of photos from the beautiful Eastatoe Valley in northern Pickens County. I love fly fishing for trout in that valley and nearby on the Eastatoe Creek, which flows into pristine Lake Keowee.

Hint: Don't hesitate to click the link under each photo if you would like to see a larger image. On the flickr.com page, just click on "All Sizes," then choose which size you wish to view. Enjoy! :)

3456234794_918871c8da.jpg

For more information about this photo, click here.

3456234870_219dddc21c.jpg

3456234884_0e8c02f098.jpg

3456234914_4a2547b1de.jpg

3456234956_a0dcfd39f9.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments, GvilleSC and krazeeboi. It is definitely one of my favorite places in the entire state. There are so many gorgeous "hidden" gems in the northern region of the Upstate that I feel humbled to have been blessed with so much surrounding beauty, and yet very proud to live so close. :wub:

Archived