Hillsborough Street - NCSU Area developments

orulz

Does anyone know what’s happening on the north side of Hillsborough St between Montgomery and Furches? I’ve seen information about the plans across the street where the old Smoker Friendly was but no info about the north side of the street. The three old brick homes there are still standing but all the foliage around them has been removed and by the looks of it the houses are coming down soon.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kedwards said:

Does anyone know what’s happening on the north side of Hillsborough St between Montgomery and Furches? I’ve seen information about the plans across the street where the old Smoker Friendly was but no info about the north side of the street. The three old brick homes there are still standing but all the foliage around them has been removed and by the looks of it the houses are coming down soon.  

There was a plan by FMW (who is the developer of several of the apartment complexes along Hillsborough) that was approved in 2016 if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

I thought it was a hotel but they may have been pulled for apartments instead. 

Yeah those homes are excellent and I would consider them historic with the biggest looking like it was built in the mid to late teens and the other two in the 20's. In Oakwood they'd be considered treasures. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A Charlotte-based developer, Jim Zanoni / FMW Real Estate - the company behind LiveOnHillsborough (1301, 2604, 2811 Hillsborough; 103, 109 Park, 104 Ashe), as well as 927 West Morgan, owns those lots. When they bought these properties, they picked it up from another developer who tried (and failed) to rezone it for five stories. At the time they stated that they planned to tear the houses down, and develop the properties with three separate apartment buildings, within the existing (3-story) zoning. One building on each lot. The addresses are 3402, 3410, and 3412 Hillsborough.

This was around 2016. Their plans may have changed since then. At any rate, they have filed for neither rezoning, site plan, nor construction permits of any kind, so I'm not really sure what's going on now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 4:12 PM, KJHburg said:

I could have sworn there was a Centennial Campus thread but I will put this here.  New master plan shows towers up to 28 stories high at the Centennial campus and more density. 

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/11/13/nc-state-unveils-a-new-centennial-campus-vision-from-28-story-towers-to-more-density/

Density is great and all if there is support infrastructure. The roads into and out of Centennial were purposely made terrible to be kept bucolic for the pleated plaid guys to feel good while golfing. Bad roads = bad busing efficiency too, assuming the City plans to make some attempt to support NC State in that regard down there. Its still sketchy, at best, to cross Western or Avent Ferry on foot and no people mover has any serious momentum. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 9:19 PM, RALNATIVE said:

That sign is iconic in Raleigh. If you notice, they've remodeled the store but keep the  sign. 

It's really absurd, especially with today's low-energy LED technology, that they can't run the flashing orange border of lights on that sign. Raleigh needs to update its sign ordinance because the lumens coming out of these tobacco shops' interior-hung signs is way more offensive than the Arby's sign ever was.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...